Sponsored by:

Leaky doors on 04 STI!?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2004, 11:24 PM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Leaky doors on 04 STI!?

I went to have the front speakers in my car changed today and got a horrible surprise. The guy who was about to install them comes up to me and says "Do you know your doors are soaked inside?", no I didn't bloody know WTF! Sure enough the speaker he took out were soaked through at their bottom edge. We had a look at the other door and found the same problem! All the rubbers at the top of the door seem to be ok, has anyone else had this problem with their doors? Is this a design fault? I will have to take the car to the dealers, but as you know they won't even look at it.

Help!!!
Old 02 November 2004, 11:33 PM
Sti_Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Joescoobs74
I went to have the front speakers in my car changed today and got a horrible surprise. The guy who was about to install them comes up to me and says "Do you know your doors are soaked inside?", no I didn't bloody know WTF! Sure enough the speaker he took out were soaked through at their bottom edge. We had a look at the other door and found the same problem! All the rubbers at the top of the door seem to be ok, has anyone else had this problem with their doors? Is this a design fault? I will have to take the car to the dealers, but as you know they won't even look at it.

Help!!!
I think you will find most doors get soaked inside them
Nearly every car I have had and I have changed speakers on they end up getting wet....
I just thought it was normal!
Why else do some cars have plastic surrounds that the speakers sit in!??? Maybe im just wrong!
Old 02 November 2004, 11:39 PM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

The stereo guy has done a few scoobies and he reckons that he's never noticed it being this wet before. I also thought that most doors leak some water, but then the stereo guy started going on about the water eventually destroying the speakers! Not to mention eventually rotting the doors!
Old 02 November 2004, 11:40 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Help!!!
Don't worry m8 it's normal for the inside of the door, ie the void between the inner and outer skin to get wet/damp.
Good quality speakers cope with this fine.

Dipster
Old 02 November 2004, 11:46 PM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Don't worry m8 it's normal for the inside of the door, ie the void between the inner and outer skin to get wet/damp.
Good quality speakers cope with this fine.

Dipster
Yeah but should there be that much water that it leaves the bottom edge of the speaker soaked, which from memory sits about an inch above the bottom of the inner door!? Feeling inside the door afterwards, their did not seem to be any standing water, so the drainage holes must be doing their job.
Old 03 November 2004, 09:20 AM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

Anyone had any similar problems, or have any views on this before I let rip at the dealer?
Old 03 November 2004, 09:53 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Anyone had any similar problems, or have any views on this before I let rip at the dealer?
When I changed my front speakers (03sti) the old speakers had signs of water/damp. I really wouldnt worry.
Others on here have seen the same, see the ICE forum.
After a good downpoor/jet wash you will get water in there, that's why there are drain holes.

Dipster
Old 03 November 2004, 10:33 AM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by davedipster
When I changed my front speakers (03sti) the old speakers had signs of water/damp. I really wouldnt worry.
Others on here have seen the same, see the ICE forum.
After a good downpoor/jet wash you will get water in there, that's why there are drain holes.

Dipster
Thanks Dipster, I hope our doors are not gonna be full of rot after a couple of years though!