Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Scoob caught fire last night!

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2004, 01:51 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My Scoob caught fire last night!

I was driving home from work last night, it started ok and i had gone less than a mile when the rev counter, speedo, and warning lights started flashing and dancing about, my radar/laser detector whent mad too, it only lasted a few seconds and then sorted itself out, with the exception of the ABS light which stayed on. I drove a few more yards and it did the same thing again so i pulled over. This was the point the doors locked the alarm went haywire and smoke came out the rear joint of the bonnet and scoop!

I then executed a very neat parachute type drop roll into the road after yanking the door open and retreated to the curb, the smoke was only wispy and cleared quickly so i decided to turn the ignition back on, the car acted like the battery was flat and wouldn't start and turned over slowly, I called the RAC and while waiting opened the bonnet, i immediatly noticed the alternator cable was burnt near the connection on the alternator and the wire appeared to have corroded through, one of the 2 had broken totally and the remaining strands on the last wire had got so hot the rubber boot and insulator had melted and burnt! the car had then flattened its battery driving, the RAC did manage to fix it by replacing the connector and shortening the wire.

got the heart beating quick though and a trip to Halford for a fire extinguisher!
Old 02 November 2004, 04:02 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

yikes!

what model are you driving?
Old 02 November 2004, 04:23 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this before on an old xr4i a few years ago after flying round a roundabout the electrics died and there was smoke pouring from under the bonnet It turned out that the battery wasn't secured and when the car went sideways the battery moved & pulled its own cable to the starter and fused it on the bracket that secured it to the engine
Old 02 November 2004, 05:13 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Looks like you had a lucky escape and was not to major problem...like the whole car catching fire.

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 02 November 2004 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03 November 2004, 01:05 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Hi all

its a 98MY type R, it looks like they cable fretted through at the base of the connector that bolts onto the alternator terminal, it was compounded by the round rubber boot letting in moisture and allowing the copper wire to corrode, it may be worth checking if you have an older car.

I agree a very lucky escape though