Sponsored by:

On Board Diagnostics (OBD)

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2004, 02:21 PM
Fury Pilot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question On Board Diagnostics (OBD)

Does anybody know if a '98 Impreza might have on board diagnostics - by this I mean the ability to connect up a lap-top and extra information from the ECU?
Old 24 October 2004, 03:03 PM
John STI 8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fury Pilot
Does anybody know if a '98 Impreza might have on board diagnostics - by this I mean the ability to connect up a lap-top and extra information from the ECU?
I used to have a '98 sport and that didn't have an OBD port, so I'd guess that none of them did. Don't know for sure though. J
Old 24 October 2004, 04:21 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

OBD has been used on vehicle ECU's for many years, certainly way before 1998. From 1996 onwards the OBD-2 diagnostics standard was adopted. See here:-
http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

Amongst other things OBD-2 standardised the connector for communicating the OBD codes, but that doesn't mean you can just plug in a standard lap-top and read them. In fact you do not need a lap-top at all to recover the fault codes. Take a look at the link, I think it should answer most of your questions.

HTH
BIJ
Old 24 October 2004, 04:51 PM
Fury Pilot
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
OBD has been used on vehicle ECU's for many years, certainly way before 1998. From 1996 onwards the OBD-2 diagnostics standard was adopted. See here:-
http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

Amongst other things OBD-2 standardised the connector for communicating the OBD codes, but that doesn't mean you can just plug in a standard lap-top and read them. In fact you do not need a lap-top at all to recover the fault codes. Take a look at the link, I think it should answer most of your questions.

HTH
BIJ
Thanks. I knew about the flashing light method, but I was hoping to do better than that. Is there no serial data link on the classic Impreza?
Old 24 October 2004, 05:59 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

the select monitor port is under the dash near the drivers footwell
Old 24 October 2004, 06:49 PM
Fury Pilot
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
the select monitor port is under the dash near the drivers footwell
Is the pinout and data stream information anywhere on-line? :-)
Old 24 October 2004, 08:41 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Yes it is possible but expensive..i have invested in the equipment due to my job.
Excluding the lap top, the soft ware and a hand held reader cost £3.5k ...but it does cover all cars with OBDII compliant diagonstics and most early models with model specific diagnostic plugs.
This is capable of reading fault codes,running static actuator tests and reading live readings whilst the car is driven.It also covers ABS,SRS,ECT and many others!!!

In my opinion its worth every penny(or pound)............and the upgrades are downloaded via the net

steve
Old 24 October 2004, 08:47 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

The MY98 Impreza doesn't support OBDII AFAIK. There is a serial link though. PM me for the details as they take a bit of explaining...
Old 24 October 2004, 09:28 PM
Fury Pilot
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by quicksprint
Yes it is possible but expensive..i have invested in the equipment due to my job.
Excluding the lap top, the soft ware and a hand held reader cost £3.5k ...but it does cover all cars with OBDII compliant diagonstics and most early models with model specific diagnostic plugs.
This is capable of reading fault codes,running static actuator tests and reading live readings whilst the car is driven.It also covers ABS,SRS,ECT and many others!!!

In my opinion its worth every penny(or pound)............and the upgrades are downloaded via the net

steve
That's a lot of dosh. Is none of this information freely available? I'm used to free s/w off the internet and writing my own...