ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Scooby's practical?

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2004, 04:25 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Are Scooby's practical?

There's an argument raging in the office claiming my Classic Scoob is NOT a practical car - simply because it's got a turbo!?!?!?!

I need ammunition to fire the owners of the following;

BMW 523
Ford Focus
Ford Ka
Golf Cabriolet
Fiat Punto (main instigator of attack)

My claims of big boot, 4 doors & 4WD (sorry AWD) seem to have been dismissed...
Old 20 October 2004, 04:28 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tell them to blow it out their *** your car your choice, **** em, the lads in my office give me stick, but u can bet ur last pound that when she's had he re-map and the beast is unleashed they will be the 1st to say "go on then take us for a blast"
Old 20 October 2004, 04:29 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by messiah
There's an argument raging in the office claiming my Classic Scoob is NOT a practical car - simply because it's got a turbo!?!?!?!

I need ammunition to fire the owners of the following;

BMW 523
Ford Focus
Ford Ka
Golf Cabriolet

My claims of big boot, 4 doors & 4WD (sorry AWD) seem to have been dismissed...
Practical is a relative term, it is practical when you consider what you would have to run to get the same level of performance and handling. However your co-workers cars are all more practical as daily drives than a scoob simply cause they are cheaper

Last edited by trails; 20 October 2004 at 04:32 PM. Reason: grammer fek-witage!
Old 20 October 2004, 04:34 PM
Pastor
BANNED

No way is a Punto more practical. It has a similar touring range to an Impreza Turbo, smaller boot than a saloon and less interior space. So scratch that one. Cheaper maybe, more practical, I think not. The Ka loses on the same grounds of insufficent interior space and toruing range. Same for the Golf cabrio

As for the others, tell 'em that an Impreza Turbo is also available as an estate. Then ask them which of their cars will take a fridge freezer with the seats down.
Scratch the 5 series beemer (unless it's a touring). The rear space in a 5 is about as poor as an Impreza due to the packaging for the RWD.

Focus is a very practical car, save in one respect it's tiny boot in hatchback form.

All in all I'd say an Impreza saloon is at least as practical as all the above. The wagon version even more so.

Practicality has nothing to do with cost.
Old 20 October 2004, 04:35 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

my scoob does 250 miles for £20 thats pretty cheap

and it is an estate car so thats practical too

It will also go round corners better than a punto

the only one of the list i would have would be the focus as they are a lot better than you would expect

still no scoob though
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Apart from the additional cost of running/servicing compared to the cars in your list , yes, scoobs are practical cars, for the reasons you mention

Plus, for the family minded type person, there’s the additional reassurance of AWD, as well as the performance side

Fuel, Insurance and servicing the biggest negatives of owning a scoob, but who would be proud to own any of the motors in your colleagues list...

Apart from "new" drivers or girls!

The BM would be "OK" if it was a 528...but OK isnt interesting enough
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Of course the Scoob is a practical car, in what way does the turbo make it impractical ? Is a turbo diesel Focus therefore an impractical car ? The only thing that they might legitimately claim over you is that their cars will be much cheaper to run, but in terms of what I would think of as "practicality" i.e can you fit 4 or 5 adults in it, is there plenty of luggage space, can you use it every day, is it comfortable, is it reliable, is it useable all year - including when it snows (ask the BMW driver about that !) then your scoob is at least as "practical" as their cars, more so if you have a wagon (like I do!)
Old 20 October 2004, 04:40 PM
Catwoman
Scooby Regular

Tell them they are only jealous. I drive a scooby daily, its my car for work and I use it to go back and forth (with all my horse tack, riding stuff etc) to the yard I keep my horse at daily. I go to the shops in it, I take it across Europe. They obviously don't know their ****'s from their elbow's
Old 20 October 2004, 04:44 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

The punto has only 3 doors and she's a new mum - baby seat goes in front. I know how impractical this is as the missus has a Citroen AX and I now has to sit in the back cos the little 'un takes up the front!

Ford Ka can be no better.

Granted the Beamer has a bigger boot but got stuck in the snow last year due to the RWD so the only person with any real claim is the Focus driver.
Old 20 October 2004, 04:45 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pastor
No way is a Punto more practical. It has a similar touring range to an Impreza Turbo, smaller boot than a saloon and less interior space. So scratch that one. Cheaper maybe, more practical, I think not. The Ka loses on the same grounds of insufficent interior space and toruing range. Same for the Golf cabrio

As for the others, tell 'em that an Impreza Turbo is also available as an estate. Then ask them which of their cars will take a fridge freezer with the seats down.
Scratch the 5 series beemer (unless it's a touring). The rear space in a 5 is about as poor as an Impreza due to the packaging for the RWD.

Focus is a very practical car, save in one respect it's tiny boot in hatchback form.

All in all I'd say an Impreza saloon is at least as practical as all the above. The wagon version even more so.

Practicality has nothing to do with cost.

Agree with most of your comments except cost...unless you are rolling in it or just plain stupid cost is an important factor as far as practicality goes. It is one of many considerations most people ponder when purchasing a car.

BTW I run a wagon as my daily drive so I can fit my BMX inside and still move quickly, I guess its about what YOU want from your car and which things YOU are willing to compromise...

Last edited by trails; 20 October 2004 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added the daily drive bit ;)
Old 20 October 2004, 04:47 PM
Pastor
BANNED

I think of practicality as a totally different issue to affordability but I take your point.

I think an AWD Volvo 7 seater diesel estate is about as practical as it gets. The affordability of such a car is a different issue.
Old 20 October 2004, 04:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Sounds like they are confusing performance with practicality to me! :-)
Old 20 October 2004, 04:52 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Define practical.

A smaller car is more practical for parking in smaller town spaces.
A car with better economy is more practical for a long journey if you don't want to keep stopping for fill-ups.

All subjective, no right and wrong......

....but Fiat's are just ****
Old 20 October 2004, 04:58 PM
Pastor
BANNED

I suppose the most practical car would be one that fulfills all the measures to some extent.
ie reasonable boot space, reasonable economy, decentish range, easy to park, reasonable running costs etc etc.
Perhaps that's why the higher power diesel Golf's are so popular? 500 miles to a tank, small enough to park in most places, boot big enough for a fridge freezer with the rear seats down, cheapish to service.
Shame they aren't very good to drive (at least the MKIII+IV's I've driven)
Old 20 October 2004, 04:58 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

its all relative, i can fit 4 normal suitcases in my scoobs boot, or 2 women sized suitcases. I can fit 3 sets of golf clubs and trollies in the boot.

It has 4 doors so the person in the front doesnt have to jump out each time someone wants to get in or out.

Mind you i suspect most of the larger cars you mentioned are much the same, apart from the punto, ka etc. There is not much in it, explain to them that you have a bigger *** because you drive a scoob, its a fact !
Old 20 October 2004, 05:02 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pugoetru
my scoob does 250 miles for £20 thats pretty cheap
How the hell do you manage that?
Old 20 October 2004, 05:10 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

BMW 523 - German Cr@p, and they should have got a 540.
Ford Focus - Sheep, there are millions of them.... no imagination.
Ford Ka - Either a gay or a fit girl. Neither of which understand cars.
Golf Cabriolet - See above.
Fiat Punto - The new XR2i.
Old 20 October 2004, 05:20 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

I suppose the most practical car would be one that fulfills all the measures to some extent.
ie reasonable boot space, reasonable economy, decentish range, easy to park, reasonable running costs etc etc.
Perhaps that's why the higher power diesel Golf's are so popular? 500 miles to a tank, small enough to park in most places, boot big enough for a fridge freezer with the rear seats down, cheapish to service.
Shame they aren't very good to drive (at least the MKIII+IV's I've driven)
prob right, if cost was not an issuse the most practical car would have to be an RS6; five adults, loads of space and goes like **** off a hot shovel
Old 20 October 2004, 05:23 PM
Pastor
BANNED

Think the touring range counts against it- I suppose you could always carry some jerry cans in the boot though.
Old 20 October 2004, 05:37 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
BMW 523 - German Cr@p, and they should have got a 540.
Ford Focus - Sheep, there are millions of them.... no imagination.
Ford Ka - Either a gay or a fit girl. Neither of which understand cars.
Golf Cabriolet - See above.
Fiat Punto - The new XR2i.
BM 523; can't comment never driven one...imagine 540 fuel bills are no laughing matter...

Focus; obviously you have not driven a Focus billy, fantastic handling and awesome brakes (not to mention cost ), are why there are so many...

Ka could run your gay (assuming you mean man here)/fit girl theory past some large friends who own them cause they don't care about cars...

Don't like softops so will keep it to myself

Punto new XR2i....sorry can't even pretend to understand that comment, please explain!
Old 20 October 2004, 05:37 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Think the touring range counts against it- I suppose you could always carry some jerry cans in the boot though.
perhaps convert it to LPG...
Old 20 October 2004, 05:42 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
How the hell do you manage that?
seconded...unless its a Sport ?
Old 20 October 2004, 07:00 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Take them for a spin in it then they'll change their tune.
Old 20 October 2004, 07:24 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails

Ka could run your gay (assuming you mean man here)/fit girl theory past some large friends who own them cause they don't care about cars...
How do they fit in a Ka??! LMAO!

One of the worst cars I have driven is the Ka. Soggy, gutless rattly egg on wheels.

Old 20 October 2004, 08:07 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

You've got a Scooby they haven't! They have to find some way to vent their jealousy. If everything in life was practical what the !!!! would it be like.
Old 20 October 2004, 08:41 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

My Scoob's far to fast so it's very Impractical to drive. It does 0-60 in around 4 seconds & beats most of the opposition from the lights.

It brakes the eggs & spreads the shopping all over the boot, on return from a far away retail centre. Its far to noisy, far to bumpy & far to absolutley fantastic to drive.

Scoobies are the Millenium Falcon of the time, never before has man gone so quick in such a short distance across a Mc'Donalds car park.

Hey theres nothing wrong with a Focus, I have one for everyday use, 'Keeps the Scoob safe & sound.

Classics rock

PNB :-)
Old 20 October 2004, 08:47 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

BMW 523
Ford Focus
Ford Ka
Golf Cabriolet
Agree with them quick - someone from here might see you talking to them
Old 20 October 2004, 09:47 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
How do they fit in a Ka??! LMAO!

One of the worst cars I have driven is the Ka. Soggy, gutless rattly egg on wheels.

not knocking your observations on the vehicle itself, just your stereo typing the driver. If you think a car is ****e then say so you are entitled to your opinion, but remember one mans rubbish is another’s treasure...
Old 20 October 2004, 10:09 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

A standard Bugeye WRX is a usable, practical and 'sort of refined' vehicle. It's got four doors, can seat 4/5 and a surprising amount of space in the boot - even more luggage space and flexibility with the wagon (5 door estate). And it goes pretty well too - but if you drive carefully, you can even get more than 30MPG. Yes, the hard core will laugh at the last bit.
Old 20 October 2004, 10:49 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I've used all 4 of mine for everything, including the school run.

Ok, so they're not the most economical of cars, but there are few other cars you can pile the family into for a holiday, and hoon about in when you're on your own.

They're just jealous

Josh

Quick Reply: Are Scooby's practical?