Sponsored by:

private plates with illegal spacing

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2004, 09:40 PM
fast_eddie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default private plates with illegal spacing

has anyone got a private plate and changed the spacing on it and if so how often do you get pulled for it and whats the score when you do as i have seen a plate perfect for me but it needs a bit of tampering for it to make any sense and i dont want to spend £700 if its gonna cause probs for me

dave
Old 19 October 2004, 10:14 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

i took mine off after getting pulled 9 times in one week!!!

J4MO u

jamo
Old 19 October 2004, 10:19 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Well Eddie let me tell you a tale.........

I had L15 TY* on retention for 2 years, got the plate made up a month or so ago so it read L15TY * and headed off to DVLA to get it swapped, done the deed went back to the car park changed the plates and didn't even get the car started before officer dibble (1 car and a van load) truned up and gave me the 3rd degree.... Turns out an old bag walking buy had shopped me for looking suspicious.

Cut a long story short the old bill where fine when i explained apart from unhappy copper number 3 who got Sh*tty and decided to nick me to the tune of £30 for my spacing..........

I had a stamp for change of reg with DVLA for 10.15 and a fine sheet for 10.30. Never even got the engine started mate.

But i must add despite their instructions I haven't changed it and have done about 10k all over the country without another pull. I think it will hinge on just how liberal you need to be with the mods.

I hope you have better luck than me (y)
Old 19 October 2004, 10:29 PM
yoza
BANNED

Dont bother, its a pain in the ****.

WHEN you get stopped you WILL get a photo taken of the none conforming plate, along with a £30 fine, and a lecture from the lowest of the low. He/She will explain that Gatso,s, Camera vans, Toll CCTV cameras, etc can not get a valid varification on your car, so if you are violating any of the above, there is a good chance you will get away with it......

Then you can reply, "Thats the point."

Then it all goes a bit down hill.

When you get three photo's the plate is taken from you, but apparently its never been done.

Later SH4GGY.......
Old 19 October 2004, 10:56 PM
greatwhite
Scooby Regular

Had mine on my car for over 3 years, not been stoped yet. mrs has had hers for 18 months, same for her.

PC`s must be good in Herts
Old 20 October 2004, 10:01 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

you'd think the oh so clever Gatsos etc would be able to recognise letter by letter? What about new 51 etc layouts vs old ones? Or small plates on bikes?

does that also mean that if I import a car from the US, I can speed safe in the knowledge that the cameras won't know who I am?

I think with the money the DVLA is making from plates, they should just open up the private plate market like the states, and let you have anything that isn't already out there.
Old 20 October 2004, 11:43 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Illegal spacing I don't have a problem with myself but there are too many cars out there now where people have used either coloured screws or dodgy letters/numbers to alter the appearance of the plate. I was cut up by a Yaris the other day and sitting behind him I still couldn't work out what the official numbers/letters were.

There is a 911 driver near me with the plate PEN15 !!!!! Talk about a tool.
Old 20 October 2004, 11:47 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

I have a plate that is not quite spaced correctly. However, the letters and numbers are of the appropriate font and there are no screw covers attempting to make a letter or number something it isn't.

I have done 20k miles this year with that plate on, been followed by traffic and local plod, and been through ANPR checks. Nothing! Guess it depends if the coppers think you're taking the proverbial .

Matt
Old 20 October 2004, 11:50 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

sorta of on the sam subject as nummber plates. I saw one in town on a Range Rover that said RllLES and it had the screw in the middle of the two ll to make it a U. how approate for a range..

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 20 October 2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 20 October 2004, 11:57 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

don't do it. u look like a **** IMHO
Old 20 October 2004, 12:08 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

I have a dateless plate JAS *** I got pulled once cause I've cut the ends off the front one to make it smaller. The letters and spacing are all correct but the BSi kitemark was missing thats why he wanted to do me. Got let off in the end and haven't had any other trouble.
Get a dateless reg and leave it normal thats my advice.

Cheers

Jas
Old 20 October 2004, 12:10 PM
pablohunny
Scooby Regular

Had mine on my Saab = no probs for two years
Put it on the TVR = no probs for two years
Put it on the Scooby...two weeks = two pulls (off it came)
Old 20 October 2004, 12:22 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

pulled 3 times

once in my sport (30 quid)

Twice in my STI (Verbal warnings ie:"If I see you again" )

3 years, 3 pulls.
Old 20 October 2004, 12:44 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

the secret is to have the plate you want(any plate, you dont have to buy one from the DVLA)...but have the correct spacing/size!

Viola!...the number plate you most desire, for no extra cost, and no pulls!

S'easy...just takes a bit of nerve at first , you soon forget about it after a while...

never condone actually doing it though....
Old 20 October 2004, 12:46 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

Had mine from new (car is 11 years old now). No screws in the wrong place, and no attempt to discuise one letter as another. 5 character number plate with the charactors all spaced equally apart to spell the vehicle manufacturer name. Had a few cop cars right behind me and never been pulled. In fact, I've had one come past me with his buddy giving me the thumbs up. In my opinion, my reg plate as far more readable/memorable as it is rather than being properly spaced. I think it boils down to how the spacing is done and whether or not you are trying to disguise one letter as another. Saying that, I'll probably get pulled next time I'm out in it !!
Old 20 October 2004, 12:56 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Never really got the numberplate thing. Agree with brybusa. STEVEN is no more likely to attract attention than a mis-spaced S73 VEN.

Is the fine any worse for displaying a completely fictitious plate than for misrepresenting with screws etc.? LMAO at J4 MFS misspaced with extra screws to look like JAMES. What's the point

As for a free-for-all like some US states, think revenue, it ain't gonna happen.
Old 20 October 2004, 01:08 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Just moved my 1 across by 5mm and front plate is 100mm short as it fits much better on the front of a blobeye and STi logo instead of flag otherwise all proper font etc.. No probs in 18 months, but then I'm 55 which makes me less susceptible to getting pulled, they don't know I have the brain of a 12 year old.

Diccy.
Old 20 October 2004, 01:17 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sideways
I have a dateless plate JAS *** I got pulled once cause I've cut the ends off the front one to make it smaller. The letters and spacing are all correct but the BSi kitemark was missing thats why he wanted to do me. Got let off in the end and haven't had any other trouble.
Get a dateless reg and leave it normal thats my advice.

Cheers

Jas
Interesting, mine is W8 RSY. On my Evo I have it correctly spaced (although on one line unusually on an Evo) but the plate is very small as to fit the Jap Spec mounting. It has no BS mark as I got it from one of the Eire web sites. The local Mitsi delaers don't do Evo size plates. Not had a problem so far.
Old 20 October 2004, 01:33 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=speedking]
Is the fine any worse for displaying a completely fictitious plate than for misrepresenting with screws etc.?
QUOTE]

Potentially very naughty speedking, much worse an offence that "playing around" with the spacing

However, it has to be proven that you deliberately intended to display/use said plate...otherwise just be the £30 fine

depends if you aim is to pose, and have a plate like STEVEN or to evade speed camera's by p'haps mingle some letters/numbers up from your standard plate....i.e. X453 FRX becomes X453 SRX...very easy to mis-hear an F for an S when ordering mail order

Despite the new laws, it’s still easy to obtain a plate without showing V5 etc
Old 20 October 2004, 04:53 PM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

i have had mine on for a year now and have never had any problems. got stoped for speeding about a month ago and the coppers then never said anything about it. had a good look around the car trying to find faults though.

i keep the originals in the boot in case i get pulled . and say i forgot to change them after a meet.

Last edited by W 12 X T C; 20 October 2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 20 October 2004, 04:57 PM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

Ive got

Had it spaced with a bolt though the 8 to look like C0LN J.....think it stayed like that for 6/7 weeks before I was asked to change it by PC plod!
Old 20 October 2004, 05:00 PM
Tedd
Scooby Regular

Anyone ben pulled for having a sticker plate on the bumper instead of a plate? They're not meant to be on an angle I know, but wondering if this is enforced?
Old 20 October 2004, 05:06 PM
duSTI
Scooby Regular

Can't say that I've ever had a problem with the spacing on my plate S600***

You know I've jinxed myself now though.

Jim
Old 20 October 2004, 05:11 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

The Mrs got pulled for the plates along with the tints, I think it was the tints they were more interested in. The rear plate has an STi logo at one side but all the letters are properly spaced and sized ( 5 digit plate ) the front one has been cut down but is also correctly spaced and sized as I got the info from the DVLA site before I ordered them. The plod tried to say they were illegal due to no BS number ( there is on the rear one ) 3-D style lettering - not poncy itallics BTW and the honeycomb backing, Mrs Plod even measured them before she came up with the previous B/S. Still got them on and never had another problem.

John.
Old 20 October 2004, 05:16 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

1. Make up plate with whatever you want using correct font & spacing
2. Make up plate with correct reg. using correct font & spacing
3. Fit no. 1
4. Put no.2 in boot
5. If & when you get pulled ...'oops sorry officer been to meet/trackday' ...open boot & replace

In no way shape or form would i condone doing the above!
Old 20 October 2004, 05:16 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Depends where you live. In a big town and you might get attention from the BiB.

Regular panda cars are not going to be that bothered but TrafPol will nick you for it.
Old 20 October 2004, 05:43 PM
harry_p1
Scooby Regular

ive got S8OOBY * on my P1 had it 3 months so far so good Just a slight move of lettering ans space but all letters/numbers are correct so shouldnt be so harsh with the gatso,speed camera not being able to read plate business
Old 20 October 2004, 06:19 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got T 8OYD R On my 02 CTr and although i've been pulled over by the old bill once he looked over the car and never even mentioned the spacing on my plate. Had plenty of old bill cars behind me on the Motorway and nobody has ever batted a eyelid about it.
Old 20 October 2004, 08:43 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

Why do people try and make these mickey mouse plates look like something they are not?
They look very Council Estate if you ask me.
Old 20 October 2004, 08:45 PM
fast_eddie
Scooby Regular

thanks folks the plate i am looking at starts d15 *** and im thinking of moving the 5 over to read d1 5*** which with the letters in is my surname still dont know if it is worth it tho lol

dave