WRX PPP Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2004, 11:42 AM
Del T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WRX PPP Fuel

OK chaps advice needed.

I have a MY04 WRX PPP and have been running it only on Optimax since I got it new. To be honest it is a bit of a pain filling up with Optimax as I have to go out of my way to find a shell station. The car also seems to be running fairly flat at times.

When I got the car the Subaru dealer put in Esso SUL for me and doumentation regarding PPP also suggests that the car should be run on SUL. I know that this question has been done on this board many times with some saying only use Optimax but others saying SUL is sufficient but there seems to be no definitive answer.

Clearly I want to use the best fuel for the car but want it to run smoothly. Are there any others out ther running new age WRX PPP's on SUL only and compared to Optimax is the car smoother? Is there any real benefit in paying the extra for Optimax in a UK spec car?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Del
Old 19 October 2004, 01:05 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The definatetive answer is nobody will give you a definatetive answer but I will ............. flame suit ready

Prodrive recommends only SUL fuel is used on PPP'd cars, but they don't state which one but I know they privately recommend Optimax

If no SUL of any Brand is available your car will be OK on 95oct ONLY if not 'Booted' but be very careful with right foot. IMHO

The higher the Octane the better protection against Detination which is an Engine killer IIRC Optimax is 1 piont higher than the other Brands of SUL. Knock link is a good measure of this.

Tony
Old 19 October 2004, 01:28 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I did a vote some time ago on this subject.

I think it came out at about 80% for Optimax.

I will try and find it....
Old 19 October 2004, 01:31 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Optimax 79.53%
Esso SUL 7.60%
Other SUL 7.60%
95RON 2.92%
Something else 2.34%

There were 171 votes.

I would stick with Optimax, or if you cant find it Esso SUL
Old 19 October 2004, 01:41 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I use Optimax whenever I can, but on the odd time I have had too, I've used Esso SUL.

I get no more knocklink activity (2 greens) than with Optimax, but the car feels much happier with Shell in it.
Old 19 October 2004, 02:38 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Del,

Am intrigued as to how far you have to go out of your way to fill up with Optimax - I have to do a round trip of 36 miles to get mine

Occasionally (if I really can't be ar$ed) I'll fill up with BP Ultimate from the local garage, but the car does feel a little less "lively"
Old 19 October 2004, 03:48 PM
Del T
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies - looks like I will be sticking with Optimax then.

T4molie - I dont have to travel as far as you to get to a shell station otherwise I would be p***ed off. Its just a case that on my way to work I have to pass two BP garages and an Esso but have to go off route to get to a shell station. Given that I like to get out of bed as late as possible it means that it adds valuable minutes to my journey!! - I just wasn't convenienced it was worth the extra hassle, particularly as Prodive state in the official documentation for PPP that SUL is ok.

Anyway once again thanks for the advice peeps.
Old 19 October 2004, 03:55 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

36 miles! Thats about 1.5 Gallons just to fill up!!

OMG.

We are lucky in Manchester there are loads of shell garages.
Old 19 October 2004, 05:28 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

I have swopped to Sainsbury's SUL on a std STI, I don't notice any diff from the Optimax and its about 5p cheaper, and that 38 mile round trip would be two gallons the way my last tank of Optimax went down the plug hole!!
Old 19 October 2004, 05:42 PM
Azyman
Scooby Regular

i got WRX 01 PPP i always put Esso SUL tried optimax didnt notice any difference so stuck with the SUL [cheap skate i say]
Old 20 October 2004, 09:26 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

TBH I don't really think of it as 36 miles = however much fuel.... I use the trains during the week so the Scoob is a weekend toy

There's a Shell Garage about 5 miles nearer in Flitwick however I tend to weigh it up as follows....

MK Shell - 36 miles round trip ZERO Speed Cameras and good roads
Flitwick Shell - 30 (ish) miles round trip, 6/7 Speed Cameras and boring road....

Come on guys which one would you take?
Old 20 October 2004, 10:27 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Azyman
i got WRX 01 PPP i always put Esso SUL tried optimax didnt notice any difference so stuck with the SUL [cheap skate i say]
Around where I live Optimax is chaeper than Esso SUL, I thought I was the cheapskate.

Optimax for me every tank, except the first one which the dealer filled with Jet 95 RON!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 October 2004, 11:59 AM
Del T
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Adams Subaru today. They stated that any SUL would be fine. However, when I said "so thats the offical line then" - they were a bit reluctant to commit. I might phone Prodrive and see what they say. Needed fuel today and was not near a shell station so filled up with Esso SUL - the car does not see any different!

Del
Old 20 October 2004, 12:31 PM
Mildo
Scooby Regular

I had to put BP Ultimate in my WRX04 (instead of the usual Optimax) in an emergency and the car definitely didn't seem to run as well.

Having said that, the car also runs much better after I've given it a thorough clean......
Old 22 October 2004, 08:55 PM
Azyman
Scooby Regular

fuel consumption my gf took me WRX 2001 PPP to burton upon trent from stevenage and back and drove around for a couple of days clocking up 300 miles on 1 tank of petrol i still think she must of pushed it for at least 100 of those as i struggle to get over 180 miles before i have to fill it up

was that good fuel econamy or what tho

i thought i would share her millage with you as it seems they can be econimical for every day use
Old 22 October 2004, 09:07 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mildo
I had to put BP Ultimate in my WRX04 (instead of the usual Optimax) in an emergency and the car definitely didn't seem to run as well.

Having said that, the car also runs much better after I've given it a thorough clean......
this is what i find with optimax and bp ultimate optimax seams to last longer round town but when i put bp ultimate it car seams to run so much better better response and a whole tank will take me up to north york and about 30 more miles that well over 300 mile and if i go up on optimax i will have to fill up before i get to where i was going. so i say optimax round town bp ultimate for long trips.