Urgent advice needed?!

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2004, 08:49 AM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent advice needed?!

Hi all,
unfortunatley last night the missus had a bump in the Subaru.
She turned across a road, jogger ran out so she slowed down to avoid him and someones bumped the back left wheel of the car.
Small panel damage, no scratches and a single smooth dent that looks like it will pop out but the wheel/axle/hub area has taken most of the impact.

Rear left wheel now looks like it has about 20 degrees of negative camber so somethings bent somewhere, the accident looks to be both parties fault but depending on costs invloved we may not go through the insurance, which is where I need someones help.

What sort of costs would be involved in fixing this, anyone had anything similar or even able to give an approximate price for things like axle, hub or whatever else being bent that would cause the wheel to sit with such camber after the bump.

With insurance being so scandless and me being 24 but with 3.5 years no claims (4 yrs and able to protect in March next year !!) I just cant decide what to do, whether to take it through insurance and accept the hike in premiums for the next few years (probably meaning selling the Impreza until it comes down again) or stump up a grand or two now for the damage and still have nice low premiums and be able to protect my NCB next year.

What do you guys reckon - any help/advice appreciated.
Old 19 October 2004, 08:53 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

did your missus turn into the path of the car that hit her, i.e. was she turning right in front of the car that hit her, or was the car that hit her also turning right?
Old 19 October 2004, 08:58 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

What was the set up of the junction? What does the other party want to do?
Old 19 October 2004, 09:00 AM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

My missus turned right across the path of the other car, but when she started the turn the road was clear, the other car wasnt there and neither was the jogger.
By the time she was half way round the jogger ran out, at which point the other car was approaching, missus slowed down, other car hit back of her.

Hard to describe without pictures.
Old 19 October 2004, 09:01 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

What speed limit was the road???
Old 19 October 2004, 09:02 AM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

other party is getting a quote for damage to their car and will do whatever i want to do - they're assuming the accident was our fault because my gf was in floods of tears and apologising.
After looking at how/where it happened it looks like it could be there fault but at the end of the day I could do with getting a rough price to try and decide whether its going to cost more to claim off the insurance in the long run or just pay for damage to both vehicles.

Its utter sh!te when insurance penalise you so much for silly little prangs these days !
Old 19 October 2004, 09:05 AM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

i wasnt in the car at the time. road is all 30mph.
my missus had been sat waiting at a set of traffic lights to turn right, lights on red.
nothing waiting in opposite direction. road sort of forks right from our direction, not a 90 degree turning into a side road.
lights turn green, she sets off, gets half way across road and jogger sets off running across road right infront of her!
Old 19 October 2004, 09:07 AM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

we're the blue car, yellow is jogger.
Old 19 October 2004, 09:08 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Ahh, thats a good pic!

I will PM you.
Old 19 October 2004, 09:30 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Looks like the other cars fault to me, AFAIK your missus should give way to the pedestrian so was right to stop / slow. The other car should have been looking where it was going, probably going too fast.

Peter
Old 19 October 2004, 09:36 AM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

She didnt give way to the pedestrian, she had to slow down pretty quick to avoid hitting him as he just ran out into the road.
He didnt set off running across the small road until she was about half way round (god knows what he was thinking!?) and he didnt stop after either the cheeky s0d - probably knew it was his fault !!

Should have hit the ******, probably be cheaper to polish out a small scratch on the bonnet and pull a few teeth out of the scoop

Anyone any idea on what damage may be done to our car to casue the wheel to sit like that- or even any figures of a rear axle, hub etc just so I have ideas of what our car will cost to fix?
Old 19 October 2004, 09:43 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky69er
She didnt give way to the pedestrian, she had to slow down pretty quick to avoid hitting him as he just ran out into the road.
He didnt set off running across the small road until she was about half way round (god knows what he was thinking!?) and he didnt stop after either the cheeky s0d - probably knew it was his fault !!

Should have hit the ******, probably be cheaper to polish out a small scratch on the bonnet and pull a few teeth out of the scoop

Anyone any idea on what damage may be done to our car to casue the wheel to sit like that- or even any figures of a rear axle, hub etc just so I have ideas of what our car will cost to fix?
Fair enough, but the law says AFAIK that a motorist should give way to a pedestrian crossing a minor road if turning into one, so therefore she was right to stop. People can't just crash into you because you are stopped in the road. The other car should be travelling at a speed whereby it can stop safely if needed.

Only trying to help, can't advise on the cost of the repair but as far as I am concerned its the other guys fault and he should pay so who cares !
Old 19 October 2004, 10:29 AM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit confusing this!
How long was it after she slowed down did the green car hit, I presume she was still moving?
It's just seems strange for the time it takes to cross a road and slow down to allow someone to cross, a car appears and hits the back of your car.
Unless the road straight ahead has a 90 degree bend and is covered by trees, I can't see a car magically appearing in what 5 seconds?

Edited to say from an insurance point of view IMO the blue car is at fault, unless you can prove the green car driver was at fault i.e drunk, speeding, asleep which without witnesses is difficult.

Hope it all works out ok.

Last edited by Rob D; 19 October 2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 19 October 2004, 11:07 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

From what I can see, your wife/gf did what we all do, and judged the gap she could go through before oncoming traffic arrived, then the gap was closed by a third party WHO WASN'T THERE WHEN SHE SET OFF?

I would THINK that most of the blame is therefore on the shoulders of the other driver, who, seeing her crossing his path, ought to have slowed etc.

HOWEVER, insurance companies aren't in this game to give you cover, not really, they are in it to make money, so what they will probably do is offer the other guy's insurance company "knock for knock" where they share costs. It'll count as a claim against you, you'll lose your ncd etc etc.

As regards the car: best bet is to have a garage look at it. It doesn't HAVE to be a Scoob dealer, just someone who does accident repair, and can recognise what he is looking at. Try Yell.com for accident repairers
FAR better than all the advice about repairs we could give on here.

Hope this is of use to you.

Alcazar
Old 19 October 2004, 11:31 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If you think the green car is to blame you need to have a read of this...

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk

because the green car is not at fault.

BtK
Old 19 October 2004, 11:36 AM
STI4ME
Scooby Regular

Do you have the details of the jogger, 'cos I'd say they were substantially to blame, insured or not!
Old 19 October 2004, 11:38 AM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

The road straight ahead is over the brow of a hill, so cars more than about 100feet away will be out of view.
When she enetered the junction the exit was free.
Mid way through the junction - at the mouth of the exit, jogger decides to run into the road.
Car appears form over brow of hill and collides with rear of our car.

I'll probably just get the insurance to sort it out to be honest, I really cant be arsed messing about trying to get it repaired myself for there to be a whiplash claim emerge 3 years down the line.

Moral of the story - run fooking joggers over if they step out infront of you, it'll be easier on the wallett.

I'll probably sell the Subaru and buy something with less stigma attached to it and less extortinate insurance premiums/servicing costs.
Old 19 October 2004, 01:09 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Another claim

You would be sick if you didn't claim now and later in the year had cause to make an insurance claim, wiping out your carefully maintained NCD Sod's law applies.

Knock for knock I reckon.
Old 19 October 2004, 02:09 PM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

Right, rang the insurance and they're looking into who's fault.
Cars been recovered to a garage to get the work done this afternoon and a hire car has been arranged.
Couldnt be arsed waiting or messing about any more than necessary.
At worst Tesco say I'll loose 2 years NCB and the £500 excess, at best I win as a no-fault claim.
Just have to wait and see now but at least its being sorted.
Old 19 October 2004, 02:25 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pflowers
Fair enough, but the law says AFAIK that a motorist should give way to a pedestrian crossing a minor road if turning into one, so therefore she was right to stop. People can't just crash into you because you are stopped in the road. The other car should be travelling at a speed whereby it can stop safely if needed.

Only trying to help, can't advise on the cost of the repair but as far as I am concerned its the other guys fault and he should pay so who cares !
It's all a question of time!

As stated above the law is "you must drive at a speed which you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear"

If there was a blind brow in the road and the blue car couldn't see the junction then he's to blame. However all he has to say is the green car turned right in front of him!

How long did the jogger take to clear the road!?

50/50 is how insurance will want it as both parties loose NCD!
Old 19 October 2004, 10:38 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

its pretty clear and simple the law on this one.

"You must be driving at a speed to suit the conditions"

Last time i checked that did also include watching where you were going. So if i were you mate, dont admitt liability, your wife was giving way to a pedestrian which by law she had to do.

Running down a pedestrian will not bode well in court when you say it was because you were trying to avoid a car hitting YOU..

Jon