Sponsored by:

Going T Look At A MY00 Wagon This W/E

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2004, 11:08 PM
Gunn79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going T Look At A MY00 Wagon This W/E

Looking at a MY00 wagon this W/E at the local dealer. But, I am still unsure whether or not a wagon is the right choice! It makes sense considering I surf a lot, and often load up the car with a couple of people and 3 or 4 boards. Just cant help feeling I am loosing out on performance somewhere, can wagon owners convince me its the right move!
Old 12 October 2004, 11:46 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a MY99 Wagon and have had it since new. The reason i got it was because i windsurf (not as much as i used to though kids changed all that LOL)
All you need is a set of roof bars to put on the roof rails then it's boards on top no problems and back seats down if you need to chuck stuff in the back
As for difference in performance you won't notice any difference
IIRC the wagon is 1 mph less top end and a tenth slower to 60.
Hope this helps
Simon

Last edited by SCD Simon; 12 October 2004 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12 October 2004, 11:52 PM
Gunn79
Scooby Regular

Cheers Simon, being a shortboarder all the boards usually fit in the back of a car nicely, so prob wont be needing the roof bars.
My parents have a MY99 Sport wagon, and that does well on the occasion I borrow it, but really want something wich will be fun to drive and be functional/look good! Same old story!!
Old 13 October 2004, 12:19 AM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunn79
but really want something wich will be fun to drive and be functional/look good! Same old story!!
A MY00 Turbo Wagon will be all of the above
Old 13 October 2004, 12:22 AM
virgin
Scooby Regular

Looking at a MY00 wagon this W/E at the local dealer. But, I am still unsure whether or not a wagon is the right choice! It makes sense considering I surf a lot, and often load up the car with a couple of people and 3 or 4 boards. Just cant help feeling I am loosing out on performance somewhere, can wagon owners convince me its the right move!
the wagon handles better than saloon, there around an extra 30 kg over the rear ,also the wagon is same width and lenth as the saloon beleive it or not !
Old 13 October 2004, 07:44 AM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Talking

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...3&page=1&pp=20

why dont you buy mine, then you can have your cake AND eat it!
Taffy
Old 13 October 2004, 07:57 AM
Gunn79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by taffyboyo
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...3&page=1&pp=20

why dont you buy mine, then you can have your cake AND eat it!
Taffy
Very nice looking car, but unfortunately I am gonna go the route of the Subaru Approved Car dealer, even tho its gonna cost me more £££. It will be my first Scoob and I can learn from there!
Old 13 October 2004, 08:22 AM
Pastor
BANNED

I had loads of trouble with my 'Subaru Proven' car so make sure you do all the checks you would with a private sale and don't rely on it's approved status.

You get a good package- 1 yr warranty, breakdown recovery and some comeback if things go wrong but I wish I'd bought mine privately and got a good inspection done and paid for my own add ons as I'd have got a better car.

I can't really tell the difference between wagons and saloons I've driven so if you need the space go for it.
Old 13 October 2004, 08:43 AM
Gunn79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pastor
I had loads of trouble with my 'Subaru Proven' car so make sure you do all the checks you would with a private sale and don't rely on it's approved status.

You get a good package- 1 yr warranty, breakdown recovery and some comeback if things go wrong but I wish I'd bought mine privately and got a good inspection done and paid for my own add ons as I'd have got a better car.

I can't really tell the difference between wagons and saloons I've driven so if you need the space go for it.
Hopefully I wont experience simmilar probs, but you never know. My folks bought their wagon from the same dealer, and they are a smallish friendly company, and my folks have always had good dealings with them. Its ASHBURTON MOTOR WORKS near Exeter in Devon, if anyone has heard of them.
Old 13 October 2004, 08:50 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

I have owned both a MY00 saloon and now a MY00 wagon, both turbos, couldn't feel any perceptible differance in performance, just the ability to get a lot more in the wagon. Oh and the wagon is a lot more exclusive, it doesn't appeal to the chavs who now seem to be buying the cheaper early turbos/wrxs "flamesuit on"
Old 13 October 2004, 09:24 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Woo-hoo .. I've just traded in my MY00 wagon (it's at a dealers for £12K ) and have changed to a ..... MY05 wagon

There is NO difference between performance for saloon/wagon, ooooh 0.1 of a second. Take 2 identical saloons out and there'll be a difference in 0-60 so forget about the 0.1.

Handling wise it is said the wagon is better due to weight distribution, there are a couple of wagon owners on here running silly BHP (500+) so they can easily be modified if you're worried about perceived slowness.

Where the wagon really scores is image. It's just oozes cool ... one of the reasons I've stuck with a wagon up here in Scotland is you don't get hassle from the Barry Boy's and there's now far too many chav's cruising around in poorly modded classic scoobs (19" alloys from Halfords, stickered and tinted up, lexus lights, bits hanging off and 6" tailpipes sticking out ).

I had roof bars on the last car and combined with a roof box took the whole family on summer hols no problems. It is very funny when you see someone's face in their new BMW 330 when you blast past in a wagon+roofbox .. double take time.

Go on you inwardly know you want to

Avalyn. (wagon's rule)
Old 13 October 2004, 10:15 AM
Gunn79
Scooby Regular

Have just spoke to the dealer regarding the car I am gonna look at, and they inform me it has the PPP and PHP fitted, so that sorts out any performance doubts - Just gotta speak to my insurance company now, anyone know by how much PPP & PHP affects ypur premium??
Old 13 October 2004, 11:11 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Gunn79,

Depends who you're with .. with Liverpool&Victoria (dependant on which way the wind blows it seems) if they take you on it won't cost you anything (over 30 though).

Some companies you're looking at probably 85-100 for PPP, not sure about PHP. Other companies will either refuse or hike your premium up by a mahoosive amount

Be warned a lot of companies will not insure your car unless you have a Tracker fitted. L&V seem to be the best for modded/non trackered cars.

Avalyn.
Old 13 October 2004, 11:28 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Gunn79
Just had a look on their website, I take it it's the Dark Blue one? That's a nice spec car with all those Prodrive goodies and fairly low miles too. Be sure it's what you want tho' as you'll probably lose £3k on that on a private sale if you wanted to sell it. I paid £9.5k for mine 18 months ago, 00MY 5dr Turbo with 31k miles on it. I'd say it's worth about £8250 now and that's with 44k miles, Prodrive PD7 wheels (same as your car), decat, tracker, clear indicators and STi blanks for the fogs.
You won't regret it tho'
Old 13 October 2004, 11:31 AM
Gunn79
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the info guys, I know I shouldnt but I am getting a bit excited about this car.

I currently have my policy through Adrian Flux, will call them this lunchtime.
Old 13 October 2004, 11:35 AM
Pastor
BANNED

Car looks good but 12.5K????? Even with that spec it looks pricey. Try and get some money off it would be my advice and don't seem too eager when negotiating.
Old 13 October 2004, 11:46 AM
Gunn79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pastor
Car looks good but 12.5K????? Even with that spec it looks pricey. Try and get some money off it would be my advice and don't seem too eager when negotiating.
Will do, I know its been sitting there a while, and with the current buying market being slow, I will be looking for £££ off.

Also if its on 36K miles, is the next service interval 37K?? If so I will be getting the dealer to carry it out as part of the deal.
Old 13 October 2004, 11:54 AM
Pastor
BANNED

Don't know about later cars but it's every 7.5K for older classics. Plus cambelt change at 45K (think this changed to 60K for later cars). Although cambelt may be due for changing now as it is done on time as well as mileage AFAIK.
Old 13 October 2004, 12:26 PM
Mozzie
Scooby Regular

Cheers Simon, being a shortboarder all the boards usually fit in the back of a car nicely, so prob wont be needing the roof bars.
My parents have a MY99 Sport wagon, and that does well on the occasion I borrow it, but really want something wich will be fun to drive and be functional/look good! Same old story!!
I drive a MY1999 Sport Wagon, and windsurf (I am still on longboards though my partner has 20 years experience on shortboards) and kayak from it really comfortably. Plus all Jap cars seem to have excellent heating for when you get out of the water and parts of you start to go numb and drop off as soon as the wind hits you....

I would never hestitate to recommend a wagon over a saloon for the purposes of kit carrying etc. Hope you like the one you see at the weekend.

p.s. don't knock the Sport wagon - it's better mpg around town and I would never be able to afford the insurance otherwise!
Old 13 October 2004, 03:52 PM
Gunn79
Scooby Regular

Right, have spoke to Adrian Flux, and they say they are unable to give me a quote. I asked if it was to do with my age (25) and they said no, it was the PPP/PHP and they dont really have a market for it, no companies in their database were able to supply a quote??

Seems crazy to me! Anyone else found this problem?

Only other option is to cancel my current policy with them and go with someone who actually recognises the car and 'mods'.
Old 13 October 2004, 04:27 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Gunn79 .. as I said above some companies will refuse you insurance

L&V will be no use as you're not 30, other companies will either refuse to insure you as you're a) under 30 b) the car is modified c) no tracker is fitted? d) all of the above

Try posting in the insurance forum to see who'd insure you, you're only option is to cancel the policy and judging from what I've said pay a sizeable sum for your modded MY00. Pretty sure you'll be looking at a grand or so unless you do well

Avalyn.