Sponsored by:

OH Dear! - This months EVO Mag

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2004, 08:42 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OH Dear! - This months EVO Mag

Has anyone read the article about the 05 STi in this months EVO, I am refering the the comment at the end about a certain limited edition
Old 08 October 2004, 08:46 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

Not read it yet,
can you explain more?
Old 08 October 2004, 08:48 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i have not got the mag yet but it was inevitable another special edition would come out before the new impreza came out,maybe this time they wil go all out for a wr01/v-limited model like japan has preferably in small numbers like 250 as there are still lots of wr1's for sale at subaru garages at the moment.
would you buy an out of date special model or the new improved 05 sti?
martin
Old 08 October 2004, 09:00 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProdriveSTI
Not read it yet,
can you explain more?
EVO have a little niggle at the end of the article about the WR1, don't have the mag with me at the mo so can't quote but it was along the lines of over priced/rated.

I can never understand why Subaru bring out a Limited Edition then a bout 2 months later hey presto a new and improved STi that is better than the WR1
Old 08 October 2004, 09:16 AM
Daves99
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

Got the mag here the last part goes

If you wan't spec C power, the PPP concersion (262 - 301bhp) will get you close enough, for a price of 28K. That's a keen price, no doubt set with the new Evo MRs in mind, and makes the overhyped WR1 look over priced.

Also in the read there is a quote.

No question, this is the frimest riding most hardcore Impreza ever to go on sale in the UK offically.

and EVO rating was four and a half out of five with

+ Crisp, responsive chassis, keen price

- Tyre noise (Bridgestone RE070s) and weave

Hope this helps

Daves99
Old 08 October 2004, 09:24 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

Nice one Dave,

If Subaru have a few Wr1 unsold... I bet they will do a good deal on them...
Still - new 05 Sti for £25,995 or WR1 for £29,995... which one would you buy?
Old 08 October 2004, 09:41 AM
forest172
Scooby Regular

with the 05 STI having spec C suspension etc. will there be any point of the prodrive spring kit? / is it lower anyway??

I always hated the high suspension at the front, that was my main reason for the prodrive springs on my MY03 STI, the added handling was a bonus!!
Old 08 October 2004, 09:44 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boyakasha
bring out a Limited Edition then a bout 2 months later hey presto a new and improved STi that is better than the WR1
But it's not as if it hasn't happened before. Look at the UK300, supposed to be the best UK car you can buy and then after they have all been sold they announce they are going to sell the STi in this country.
Old 08 October 2004, 09:50 AM
Steve PPP
Scooby Regular

Cool

Has the new STi got DCCD?

Steve W
Old 08 October 2004, 09:55 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JoeyDeacon
But it's not as if it hasn't happened before. Look at the UK300, supposed to be the best UK car you can buy and then after they have all been sold they announce they are going to sell the STi in this country.
Yeah you would think everyone would learn, classic would be if there was a campaign to not buy any limited editions so that Subaru got the message to stop taking the p1ss out of buyers. Then we get the BS performance claims 0-60 in 4.2, yeah in your dreams
Old 08 October 2004, 09:55 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Yes, it has.

The UK300 was never anything to write home about - in fact, unless you were really, really desperate to get a car with PPP (UK300 orders had priority over the regular WRX), I couldn't think of any reason to buy one at all.
Old 08 October 2004, 09:59 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Steve PPP
Has the new STi got DCCD?

Steve W
I think it will be a £1k optional fitment
Old 08 October 2004, 10:22 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

That's what I originally heard, but as far as I can tell now, the price has gone up £1k and it's fitted as standard. I don't think you get the option of leaving it off.
Old 08 October 2004, 10:40 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Oh look another thread that has been turned into 'WR1's are a waste of money thread'

Same old **** from different tw@ts!!
Old 08 October 2004, 10:50 AM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf
Oh look another thread that has been turned into 'WR1's are a waste of money thread'

Same old **** from different tw@ts!!
Well said
Old 08 October 2004, 10:55 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

WR1 is a great car - no doubt. It is good however that they have improved the MY05 STI making it a much better comparison to the Japanese versions - obviously IM are wanting people to buy more UK models and make the UK vs JDM differences less worthy of comparison.

I think I would be happy with a WR1 or an 05 STI.

Brian
Old 08 October 2004, 11:00 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

The problem is WRXMania we have pr!cks on here who have not driven, and will never drive, either but still feel that they need to pass judgement based upon the oh so accurate and never wrong EVO magazine and the always correct and amazing opinions of Jeremy Clarkson and his top gear 'lets drive cars like complete idiots and destroy them' team.

As I said, same old **** from different tw@ts!
Old 08 October 2004, 11:05 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Have to say I agree with Gangsta here.

There's a hell of a lot more difference between an STi and a WR1 than the colour, and just adding up the optionional extras the come with a WR1 makes it good value for money IMHO, and mean it can't really be compared with 'specials' like the Catalunya, Terzo and UK300 which had no mechanical differences to a standard car.

You're always going to get the same old garbage though. Heard all the same stuff about the P1 and it's never going to stop. In the case of the P1, our dear friend PSLewis was convinced IM would be forced to offload the last of them for £20k, yet I had no problem getting that for mine two and a half years later with 45k on the clock. A fair loss indeed, but that's still a residual value around 60%, which most other car owners would die for.

Time and technology marches on, so every new incarnation of a car should be better than the last, otherwise the manufacturers aren't doing their job properly.

There's no doubt that cars like the spec C or even the T25 are more hardcore than the STis and WR1s of this world, but there are many of us who like the security of a manufacturers warranty.

It's all very easy though. If you don't like a car, or have reservations about it, don't buy it. However, I really can't see what's to be gained from slagging them or their owners off.

Josh
Old 08 October 2004, 11:15 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

I hope you don't think I'm having a poke at the WR1, my gripe is with Subaru and the way they treat their customers. They did the same thing with the bugeye STi, brought out the Blobeye with all the kit and p1ssed everyone off.

The issue is not the WR1, it is the fact that they have brought out a new 05 right after it. Don't tell me the guys back at IM didn't know his was on the way
Old 08 October 2004, 11:23 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boyakasha
I hope you don't think I'm having a poke at the WR1, my gripe is with Subaru and the way they treat their customers. They did the same thing with the bugeye STi, brought out the Blobeye with all the kit and p1ssed everyone off.

The issue is not the WR1, it is the fact that they have brought out a new 05 right after it. Don't tell me the guys back at IM didn't know his was on the way
and did the WR1 owners not supect that a 05 Sti was in the offing with some imporements? They tend to make changes every year at this time. As the WR1 had the DCCD-A I would have thought it was pretty obvious the Sti would get it soon enough. I'm sure the Wr1 owners are happy with their cars and it must be good for the Impreza that it continues to improve in the Uk. It's all good as I see it.
Old 08 October 2004, 11:27 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

The WR1 was a special edition brought out to commemorate Petter Solberg winning the 2003 Rally Championship, it was a last minute decision. They always said it would be technologically advanced and contain all the parts and extras that Japspec STi's have and that UK STi's of the future would have.

Low and behold it does and the new 05 STi has been built exactly how they should have built them.

WR1 is not a normal production impreza ... it is a special edition ... so Subaru has done nothing wrong and duped no-one. The fact that they made the WR1 faster and more powerful than any other UK impreza is a bonus. 0-60 in 4.2 is an amazing achivement which is completely accurate - as it has been tested numerous times!!
Old 08 October 2004, 11:33 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Special Edition for 'Special' people
Old 08 October 2004, 11:34 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Too right (I can dream)
Old 08 October 2004, 11:41 AM
C
Scooby Regular

Subaru do nothing different to any other manufacturer....

End of a model year, bring out a special edition with extra goodies, badge it up as a limited edition & sell it for a premium.

Seems to me the only people getting on thier high horses are the WR1 owners
Old 08 October 2004, 11:42 AM
C
Scooby Regular

Notice the MR340 has appeared on fast fleet too?
Old 08 October 2004, 12:02 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C
Subaru do nothing different to any other manufacturer....

End of a model year, bring out a special edition with extra goodies, badge it up as a limited edition & sell it for a premium.

Seems to me the only people getting on thier high horses are the WR1 owners

I think you'll find that all of the special editions have been brought out to commemorate Rally Wins.

WR1 owners are not getting on their high horses ... it's just when you get w@nkers who have no idea about cars slating something that they've never driven or probably never even sat in it gets quite annoying. Especially when it happens pretty much every day on this forum from the same group of people.

Anypone who actually knows anything about cars will be able to see that for the money the WR1 is a hell of a package
Old 08 October 2004, 12:08 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

As Josh said though, MY05 STI still needs 18" wheels and a PPP to aproach the WR1 spec...even then IIRC the WR1 has a more agressive map, this will bump up the cost to near as dammit WR1 level. Plus early WR1 buyers have had 6 months with their cars already....we always pay to be first in line.
As long as Subaru keeps on bringing better cars, and increasing interest in the brand then thats no bad thing
Cman
(Classics rule though )

Last edited by Old_Fart; 08 October 2004 at 12:09 PM. Reason: finish my damn sentence
Old 08 October 2004, 12:18 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jeez Chuck, you almost had me agreeing with you!

Thank God for that last line. Without it I may have had to seek councelling

Hope all is well with you, you old ratbag.

Josh
Old 08 October 2004, 12:30 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Whaddayou talking about Josh...WR1 is now a 'classic' mate...it's bleeding last years model mate, innit?
All's real well with me...now have 3 kids and 3 cars...what's weller than that?
Cman
Old 08 October 2004, 01:40 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Still think that MY00 Classic is the scooby for me
Until i win the lotto that is

Quick Reply: OH Dear! - This months EVO Mag