Sponsored by:

Bugeye, how quick?

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2004, 10:16 AM
Pastor
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye, how quick?

Sure this has been covered before but a search revealed precious little.

I was lucky enough to borrow my friends bugeye over the weekend and it felt a lot smoother and refined than my old classic. In fact it was really a better all round car. Here though came the problem. Sat behind a truck on a dual carriageway I noticed a classic turbo like mine, I moved out from lane 1 and positioned myself behind the classic. As soon as the truck moved back to lane 1 the classic driver booted it and so did I. The problem is I was left for dead, literally. The classic just took off even though I was in 3rd gear, on boost and pedal to the metal. To add insult to injury the classic was a wagon which then toasted us from the next set of lights as well. It was sporting the original peas shooter exhaust and wasn't colour coded so it must have been a UK car.
The difference in speed was a real eye opener. Does this mean something is wrong with the bugeye or are they all this slow?

My friend is now severely peeved, we are going to figure it against my modded classic at the weekend for further 'proof'. Shocked at how slow the bugeye was, what's the next step to make it a bit faster?
Old 06 October 2004, 10:54 AM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

From what I've recently learned the gearing in a WRX is lower than a classic, therefore he could have had a bit further up the boost tree than the WRX.

It may also have had a few stealthy mods on board.....

and as everyone knows, wagons are faster
Old 06 October 2004, 11:00 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I think the bugeye is less nimble than a classic, mine certainly is in standard form. On our recent run to Wales I had real trouble keeping up with a std classic, and I have a centre-decat while his was standard. Time to upgrate to an STi I think.
Old 06 October 2004, 12:44 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Here`s one for every one, I remember seeing something on the net that one of the changes between MY01 and MY02 bugeyes was the turbo up pipe, along with internal antenna for the radio. If your in one of the earlier ones this could of made a differance aswell, but most probably not that much.

Last edited by Barmyclown; 06 October 2004 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Spelling turned off
Old 06 October 2004, 03:58 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Evo figures have ..

Classic : 0-60 - 5.4, 0-100 - 14.6 so 60-100 = 9.1
Bugeye : 0-60 - 6.0, 0-100 - 18.3 so 60-100 = 12.3
Blobeye : 0-60 - 5.5, 0-100 - 15.7 so 60-100 = 10.2

I know Autocar etc have tested a bugeye as approx 17 to 100. The blobeye's figures from Evo are in the wet. So on purely straight line speed the Bugeye seems poor ..?

150 kg heavier than the classic with no increase in power/torque so not surprising really.

Avalyn
Old 06 October 2004, 04:59 PM
NewAgeWRX
Scooby Regular

Ive had my MY02 for about 1.5 yrs now. I dont drive it like mad most of the time and im not a 'hardcore' scoobynut, Just a mild interest.

Ive only had 2 really memorable tussles with other fast cars - one been a '99 V-reg classic scoob, and one recently with a Focus RS.

The classic scoob was on the way to Elvington quater mile event, a car was turning infront of us so we both had to stop - I was infront and the private road ahead was streight and clear for miles. We set off and both booted upto around 130 or so at which point I had pulled out aprox 8 car lenghts. I dont think anyone can say he wasnt trying as no-one reaches those kinds of speeds without doing so. I saw the car parked up later when we got to elvington (oh yeh I forgot I was 2 up he was 1) and the car had at least exhaust mods maybe more.

The Focus was on a private motorway and was harder to dispatch. We had both been crusing together for a while at highish speeds when we were blocked by traffic and had to slow to 65 or so. After the traffic cleared it was obvious what would happen and I wasn't wrong. I started out behind and when the way was clear he booted off at full speed, I followed. He pulled into the middle lane and continued full acceleration, I stayed in the outside lane and was aprox 4 car lengths behind. I crept slowly up to him and passed him (he didnt look at all amused lol) still in the outside lane and stayed there till my speedo wouldnt go anymore (160). By that time I had passed him by only around 2-3 car lenghts. I stayed at top speed for around another minute and seemed to be very slowly creeping away but not by much maybe a foot or so every 5 - 10 sec. The Focus was a fast machine and took every ounce of my cars performance to actually get past it and another thing, it looked compleatly standard........However the scoobs not really at it best from 70 to top speed, I think it would have been a little easier from standstill.

My car isnt far from standard, only mods are K&N panel filter, full PE turbo back exhaust with sports CAT and a blitz boost gauge. Never had it RR'd or on quater track so cant comment on any actual figures, just real life experiences on private roads.

Andy
Old 06 October 2004, 05:07 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friends bugeye WRX with exhaust/ filter mods is no match for my 96' UK Turbo with similar mods. From a standing start to ~100MPH, I can pull out approx 8 car lengths consistantly.
Old 06 October 2004, 05:12 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

My 02 BUG EYE STi has decat and ECU Remap, and it feels ALLOT quick than my previous car, a MY96 Classic PPP, Decat.
Old 06 October 2004, 08:05 PM
Elliot
Scooby Regular

I recently changed from a JDM MY95 WRX to an MY01 Bugeye and the difference in performance is staggering - the bugeye is sadly dull and boring to drive and I have lost that "smile" I used to get from driving the old Scoob. I have had trouble getting away from or keeping up with a long list of cars incl an MkII Golf GTI, MG ZS and worst of all a new VW Passat !!!!

Okay the Bugeye is totally standard but still it feels very very slow. Anyone got any good suggestions on sensibly priced mods to make it faster ?

Cheers
El
Old 06 October 2004, 09:03 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

well my sti's quick

ask a couple of Wr1 owners ehhhh Dazza

hawk
Old 06 October 2004, 10:33 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

My 03 Wrx with just a Prodrive backbox decimates bugeye wrx's - I am able to easily pull away either through the gears or at high speed in 5th. When V5Man, InvisibleMan (both bugeye owners) and I have played on the road - mine just romps away!

It's in the power figures - as I've seen std bugeyes produce anything from 195 to 210bhp - whereas I haven't seen a blobeye produce less than 225bhp and most are well over 230bhp!
With just a Prodrive Backbox mine produced 260bhp on it's last RR day at G-Force and 252bhp at PowerEngineering when it was only just run in - nuff said!

Elliot - The consensus seems to be - Fuel Pump/Up Pipe/Full exhaust/Air filter/Ecutek3 - but ask "fuz"! His car went from 195 to 290bhp with the above mods!

Last edited by MadMark; 06 October 2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06 October 2004, 11:05 PM
Baggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avalyn
Evo figures have ..

150 kg heavier than the classic with no increase in power/torque so not surprising really.

Avalyn
That's like having 2 additional medium sized people in the car, big difference.
Old 07 October 2004, 10:07 AM
JonnyStell@
Scooby Regular

Wink PPP

This may all be true about what you say about the bug-eye vs classic but no one has mentioned what bug eye WRX is like with PPP!!
Old 07 October 2004, 11:16 AM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by JonnyStell@
This may all be true about what you say about the bug-eye vs classic but no one has mentioned what bug eye WRX is like with PPP!!

Even with ppp a bug eye has still got less power than a late classic wrx and that 150kg extra to carry.
Old 07 October 2004, 11:39 AM
Pastor
BANNED

Originally Posted by JonnyStell@
Slower than a similarly PPP'd classic?
Old 07 October 2004, 12:11 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NewAgeWRX
...We set off and both booted upto around 130 or so at which point I had pulled out aprox 8 car lenghts...
If you wanted him right up your **** at those speeds you probably should have kissed him first.
Old 07 October 2004, 12:23 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Runs off to get Evo stats again (thought there obviously not gospel ) ..

UK300 +PPP basically a UK WRX + piggyback PPP upgrade ..

UK300 : 0-60 - 5.8, 0-100 - 16.6, so 60-100 = 11.2

So it's still slower than a bog standard MY03 and newer .. the Ecutek style PPP will be a bit quicker .. but there's no getting away from it .. the Bugeye in a straight line compared to the others is slow (well WRX is).

Still think there's something up with the MY03 stats ... another 8 bhp + 8 lb/ft torque would not give it the extra ooooomph over the similar weighted MY01/02 that it seems to have ....

What do you think, Subaru underestimating figures for power/torque, surely small revisions for exhaust manifolds etc wouldn't make the difference is has?

Avalyn.
Old 07 October 2004, 12:39 PM
NewAgeWRX
Scooby Regular

;-) The reason I didnt kiss him first is cuz I didn't think he WOULD still be behind by those speeds.
Old 07 October 2004, 12:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Form my personal experience. I found the new-age WRX to be quick, but noticably less aggressive on-boost than a Classic, which felt more like a new-age STi in terms of the subjective perforrmance. That's why I bought a Classic! :-) In its defence, though, the New age WRX is significantly more refined and smoother in its delivery than the clasic, so the ACTUAL difference may not be as great as the perceived difference.

It's still a quick car! When anyone asks me about the performance on a Scooby I adopt the Rolls Royce approach of saying:

"Sufficient" and then smiling!

Best.
Old 07 October 2004, 01:01 PM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Ive been up against a bugeye in MY00Classic PPP and tbh didnt really see much differnece. Then again it could be my weak right foot and my poor gear changing

Import Classic would be a different matter though. Would love one of a late STI6 but dont think it would go down well with insurance company.
Old 07 October 2004, 01:26 PM
JonathanC
Scooby Regular

Hi All

I've got a 01WRX and its performance varies day to day. Somedays it has trouble leaving normal rep mobiles then just when I am really depressed it suprises me with its acceleration. It would be interesting to hear from this in the know if there are any known problems with these cars and what was done to fix them.
Old 07 October 2004, 08:22 PM
Elliot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonathanC
Hi All

I've got a 01WRX and its performance varies day to day. Somedays it has trouble leaving normal rep mobiles then just when I am really depressed it suprises me with its acceleration. It would be interesting to hear from this in the know if there are any known problems with these cars and what was done to fix them.
Yep same thing here, so often the boost is barely noticeable and the acceleration seems really poor. I also get a very bad judder when pulling away (even with quite high revs) and yet sometimes it seems v.quick and is great to drive. No idea why but good to hear I am not alone.
Old 07 October 2004, 08:25 PM
4stringMike
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonathanC
Hi All

I know exactly what you mean, most of the time my MY01 WRX feels bloody quick, but it seems to have "off days" where it just feels flat and gutless. Obviously temp effects performance, but it is not always consistant with this.
Could be my driving I guess!

Im seriously thinking of PPP'ing mine now having had it nearly a year. I drove a mate's one with PPP a while back and it was so much more gutsy and driveable due to all that extra torque!

I believe the newer PPP for the bugeye is almost identical to the blob so should be around 260BHP which is plenty for me!

I know I could get even more for the money going down the decat/ecutek route but as far as insurance, MOT and resale value go, the PPP seems worth it's money.
Old 07 October 2004, 08:32 PM
4stringMike
Scooby Regular

Yep, Elliot apparently the extreme clutch judder when cold, to the point that the ******* bonnet vibrates and you feel like a tw@t if there are people around, is "normal"!
Old 07 October 2004, 08:54 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

You need to come over to the darkside mate

EVO V, 0-60-4.8, 0-100 12.8 so 60-100= 8.0 secs!!!
dave
Old 07 October 2004, 09:21 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have the same thoughts about the bugeye as far as speed is concerned-they have mapped it too softly in my oppinion,in other words,it puts the power down too smoothly.As far as the performance figs saying 0-60 in 6 sec and 0-100 in 18.3,it simply isnt true,they are definately quicker than that,only just shy of the uk classic from my "test sessions"-Its a different matter if you just decat the up and down pipes it makes it more like the classic performance(i personally think the up pipe cat is the big culprit),next put a dawes device on it(with boost gauge/knocklink of course )and set it at a very conservative 1bar you will believe it or not show a UK STi a clean pair of heels!!!!-set it at 1.15/1.2bar and its actually quite an animal and make a STi look a fair bit slower (even made a Cerberra driver look worried once )

Gary
Old 07 October 2004, 09:27 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

I agree with the above the one thing both the classics and the blobs are both missing is a cat in the up pipe, Hence why mine is coming off when the warrenty is out. I don`t blame Subaru for producing such a hated car. There concept of the bug was quite good 245ps for the wrx. and then bl*@dy International Motors has to spec the crappy old 215 ps power plant. We didn`t want that engine IM we wanted the quick JAP one thanks for nothing.

Just my 2p worth

jase
Old 07 October 2004, 09:50 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

According to a few people I've spoken to - the uppipe cat is only worth 6 or 7 bhp, so I don't think that is it. My MY01 has now done 70K miles and it seems to get better the more miles it does. Both my Scoobs (MY00 Classic and MY01) had similar setups - lightly modded with decent exhausts - the classic totally decat, the 01 semi (I still have the standard upipe cat in place). Both my cars have run original Scoobysport H&S exhaust systems.

I may be biased, but I do think it is under rated. Yes, it is slightly heavier, but I've never noticed any drop in performance, in fact I would say that my MY01 is quicker. Nothing in it in a straight line and the MY01 is better through the corners - much stiffer chassis, virtual elimination of bump steer and a set of Eibachs has seen to that!

I really like it. Looks are personal and I changed the lights and the spoiler, but lights aside, it is a good car.

I think it turned out OK

Name:  frontscoob.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  back.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  44.3 KB
Old 07 October 2004, 10:44 PM
wrxmark
Scooby Regular

My second scoob now the first a classic wrx jdm and that was chosen because of not wanting the lower powered standard uk. My new one is a completely different car to drive than the classic and is a more refined beast. Once again plenty of power in the jdm Sti so cant grumble other than the ******* crazy suspension knock that they all have. The bugeyes are heavier cars by design so its no suprise they are a little slower (well the uk ones anyway)
Old 07 October 2004, 11:10 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I had a 93WRX with d/pipe, induction kit, decat, quoted as 240ps standard, sold it to mare, then bought an MY01 WRX JDM, with almost identical mods, quoted at 245ps standard.
My mate thrashed me every time, much to my amusment, not! I just couldnt keep up.
In the end I got an ECU Tec remap, and whilst at TSL was told that there was still a cat in my up pipe. Had this removed and now its awesome.

Maybe with a FULL decat, they may have been pretty similar.

Quick Reply: Bugeye, how quick?