Sponsored by:

New STi 05, and worried....

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2004, 09:02 AM
Shaft
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New STi 05, and worried....

Brand new to Subaru. Iv'e wanted one for years, but with family etc, it's not been viable. I've worked sixteen hour days for ages to stump up enough for a new one, and it's ordered & will be with me in two weeks.
I stumbled across this forum, and reading some of the strings has made me doubt my judgement. Of course performance cars will always potentially be a greater target for theft than the average car, but already my enjoyment of taking the car is depleted, by the talk of Car jacking, guns, knives and professional theft that the installed tracker & immobiliser seems not to resolve.
There have been similar posts to this I have read, and in the end, you takes your chance, but I am really down about spending this money on something I have really wanted since the last "drivers" car I had six years ago.
It's no good to me if I cnanot leave the thing in a car park at Sainsburys. The car will be on the drive, I cannot garage it. I really should feel good about buying the car, 'cos it really is great to drive. I feel very exposed, even after the usual sales pitch regarding immobilser and tracker etc. which clinched it. The day before I ordered the car, I saw a bloke of at least 60 years, getting out of a WRX 04 in silver ( in Lincoln), and I thought go for it ! If he can handle it I can. I can't see him sleeping with a sledge hammer, waiting for the early morning broken glass.
I know this is long, and I'm not asking any questions, just need to off load a bit.
Old 06 October 2004, 09:13 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

It seems to depend a bit on what part of the UK you come from. If you come from Bradford / nottingham / Manchester etc then cars keep mysteriously disappearing but its almost un-heard of in the deep south where I thankfully live........That isnt having a poke at people from the north its just stating facts from the threads I see on here generally ........
Old 06 October 2004, 09:15 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Morning Shaft,

The same thing happens to all performance cars and their owners. The feeling that yours is the only one and tonight "they" are going to come and get it. In reality, the percentage of Scoobs stolen etc compared to the amount that are out there is tiny, indeed negligable. If it happens to you it's unlucky or you have been a muppet and invited it.
Common sense and a healthy "It's only a quick car, one of thousands in the area" type attitude will help you sleep better at night
In reality you should be more concerned about shopping trolly dents from the Sainsbury car park than some one trying to nick it

Have fun!
Old 06 October 2004, 09:19 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to be mega paranoid when I first got mine.......1 year on and I have calmed down a bit You just have to be a bit sensible with it and where you leave it....but no more so that if you owned any other car of its type/performance.

Enjoy it!
Old 06 October 2004, 09:21 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

I used to be worried, but have left mine in many places where i didnt think it was going to be there when i got back, unfortunatly i have had things happen to it though, just people jellous things, in coventry i had acid/brake fluid poured on the roof (£300) and more recently someone let my rear tyres down in killingbeck in leeds (B & Q), but other than those idiots nobody has tried to steal it.

Funny thing was someone had stepped into my backdoor the other week and nicked my phone, they would of had to have moved my car keys from on top of it to do so

Simon
Old 06 October 2004, 09:33 AM
Shaft
Scooby Newbie

Thanks to all of the above for responding. I feel better already (perhaps that was my aim ???)
I lost a new 205 1.9 GTi, 3 months old when they fisrt came out, and having experienced it, probably makes me more aware, Though the car was not even alrmed in those days)
I will keep an eye on the forum now Iv'e found you, and let you know how I get on.
Thanks !
Old 06 October 2004, 09:53 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

There are a few sensible precautions you could take, eventually they become second nature. Look at getting a Disklok for the steering wheel and use it wherever you park, if it's living on the drive overnight then maybe get a nice visible wheelclamp as well. It's extra noise/hassle to remove these and may make a crim look elsewhere for an unprotected car.

Another thing is to be aware if anyone is following you on your way home. If you think someone might be, then throw in an extra loop/detour to make sure. If you can, vary your route to/from work whenever possible as it makes predicting/tracking your movements harder.

I've only ever had someone follow me once in 2 years, i parked up in a street well away from my house. Once the ******* had driven past and clocked where it was parked, i got in again and drove home.
Old 06 October 2004, 09:55 AM
New_scooby_04

At the end of the day, you either go through life never having anything nice through fear of having it pinched or vandalised, or you enjoy your hard earned cash by getting things you want and to hell with those who would try and take them from you.

The STi comes with a good alarm, immobiliser and tracker which is going to stop all but the pros who *really* want the car. You can always supplement this relatively inexpensively by purchasing a Disclock, which are buggers to remove, even for the pros and a highly visible deterrent to the casual theives (cost 60 quid).

If you're worried about carjacking, get Blackjax installed (circa 200 quid) If you should be unlucky enough to have someone force you to hand over the keys, let them have them and the culprit is allowed to drive a short way down the road before the car forces the driver to stop, sounds the alarm and immobilises the engine.

You've worked hard for your Scooby, enjoy it and don't let the scum get you down.

Best.
Old 06 October 2004, 10:20 AM
Shaft
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again all.
I've chosed the new grey colour (thoughit is still probably nearer a silver), which I thought looked a little less obvious, but clearly those in the game know exactly what to look for. I hope my paranoia will evaporate when it arrives. Had a quick look at the Disklok, I was biased aginst that sort of device, thinking that they offered limited security, but it does look better than the average kit if you can believe the ads. I guess when left over night it would give you further added time which might be enough.
Off to the shops then....
Thanks
Old 06 October 2004, 10:33 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I felt a bit apprehensive as well when i first had my P1 from new - it lives on the drive in SE London.

Apart from all the sensible precautions mentioned above, I also bought a car cover (from Classic Car Covers) on the grounds of out of sight/ out of mind. Although if anyone stopped and looked at it closely they would spot a big spoiler etc under the cover, the nondescript grey cover comes down to almost the ground and most cars driving past wouldn't really notice it. I also always back the car into the driveway so that the eff off spoiler under the cover isn't really obvious. It only takes two or three minutes to chuck it over the car and packs away into a sleeping bag sized roll. Not had a problem yet 4 years on ( famous last words...).

I'd go for it - the enjoyment you will have will far outweigh any worries and at the end of the day it's just a car - I always leave the keys in a prominent place downstairs. Bravado aside, if some low life breaks into my house to nick my car I don't want him coming upstairs to where my wife and kid/s sleep.

Having said that if i meet him on the stairs (I'm a very light sleeper) I might introduce him to Mr Stick
Old 06 October 2004, 10:40 AM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

The Disklok is an excellent piece of kit, nice bright yellow one
Old 06 October 2004, 10:41 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Conrad_Bradley
The Disklok is an excellent piece of kit, nice bright yellow one
I went for the silver one myself
Old 06 October 2004, 10:48 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

I think you've just gotta go for it. Forums are a fabulous invention and invaluable (helped me get the best deal on my first Scooby) and the wealth of information, experience and helpfulness of the contributors is second to none (the dealers much get such a hard time now from buyers who are armed with so muh more information).

But the draw back I find is that you tend to be able to focus on the negative comments, some reliability worries might come into your head (I remeber being really worried about clutch judder on the MY02 I bought) as a few problems reported on here can seem like common problems across the range but in reality its an unlucky few.

It's less likely to be posted from someone that they parked their car last night and it wasn't stolen or they've just driven it and the clutch didn't judder etc.

No doubt care about parking is needed and you could be unlucky with it but I say you only live once and if you've wanted one for a while you'd be gutted later in life if you never took the opprotunity.

PS - just trying to work a deal to part ex my CTR for a MY05 STI!
Old 06 October 2004, 11:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What makes you think a 60 year old can't handle a Scoob?
Old 06 October 2004, 11:29 AM
flat-spot
Scooby Regular

I echo your concerns Shaft too, as I have just purchased my first new scooby which will live outside my house in a small village. We are located on the main road through the village which is close by to a major A road for fast get away. I am not so concerned about the car being stolen as this is a company car, but I am very concerned about people breaking into my house and possibly threatening my family for the keys.

I think I may leave the keys in a visable position so they can take them if they really what them, without having to worry about the safety of my family so much.

Hopefully nothing will happen and I will order another one in three years and think what was all the fuss about.
Old 06 October 2004, 11:50 AM
Shaft
Scooby Newbie

It was'nt a sixty year old handling a scoob, (in fact I'm on the way to fifty myself) rather handling the potential issues surrounding it. He had a window sticker confirming SIDC membership, and I bet loves every minute of driving it.
It's the intervening baseball clad nutters that I was referring to.
Cheers anyway.
Old 06 October 2004, 12:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Shaft: Some steering or gearshift locks aren't worth the time of day, but Discoks are effective: they are rated to category 3 by Thatcham, which means -if I recall correctly- that they have to be able to withstand a 5 minute sustained attack, but in independent tests, the average time taken to remove them was over 10 mins, which is an age to a thief, particularly when they have to break open the tool bag to get the damn thing off!

Flat spot- People have been caught out by leaving their keys in an obvious place near the door: a long wire through a letterbox is all that is needed! Besides who's to say that they wouldn't just march straight past them in their haste and target the owner, anyway? If you must leave them in an obvious place out of concern for your family, you really should get Blackjax or equivalent on the car.

Best
Old 06 October 2004, 12:19 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete

Originally Posted by Leslie
What makes you think a 60 year old can't handle a Scoob?
Bloke that owned mine before I bought off the dealer was in his 70's. Traded it in for a brand new STI. Good lad!

I see an old bat pootling around in a new WRX on my way to work most mornings. Its not all young fellas having fun in these cars!

Don't worry about theft. Like mikey says theres loads knocking around and only a few ever get pinched. I was a bit worried the first week but now I don't give it a second thought.
Old 06 October 2004, 12:26 PM
Shaft
Scooby Newbie

Is this Blackjax kit reliable ? I mean in the sense of causing any day to day problems ? I have had a quick look since your posting, and in theory, it sounds worth having. How is it triggered ? Has anyone experience of it ?
I guess it would add some peace of mind.
Shaft.
Old 06 October 2004, 12:26 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I remember reading all the doom and gloom threads when I first considered buying one. But remember that these are spread over several years and over different areas of the country.

In the end I bought it, have loved ownership and would certainly have another. I am still parranoid about theft and try to be careful, but it is insured and it is not the end of the world if it does get knicked. Better to have had some enjoyment out of it (and meet lots of new people as a result) than to put it off simply because it may get stolen.

I had a Fiesta XR2 (C Reg) many years ago and that got stolen twice! In less than 6 months.
Old 06 October 2004, 12:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Shaft. Blackjax is apparently very reliable if installed correctly. Make sure you take it to someone who is VSIB and Thatcham approved (ask here for reccomendations) and you shouldn't have any problems. There are a number of threads on here from people who have reported probs, but the same negative bias comment applies to these as to the theft issue i.e. people are less likely to post when things are fine!

I'm getting it on my Scooby as soon as I get paid!

Best.

PS Don't know the inns and outs of the system, but essentially, once you've unlocked the car, deactivated the immobilser and started the engine in the usual manner, you have to enter a simple code into a two key switch. You then drive off as normal. If this code is not entered, the car will allow you to move off before beedping to tell you that it needs the code. If it were a carjacker, they wouldn't know the code and the system would then stop the car by pulsing the ignition and activate the alarm and immobiliser. Similarly if the door is opened at any point whilst the engine is running (as would happen in a carjacking) the code must be re-entered or the same scenario happens.

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 06 October 2004 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06 October 2004, 12:34 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

you are a lucky man getting a belter of a car like that! it will be insured and so do not worry. if something happens, deal with it then. people put things on s-net when things go t1ts up them rather than when they do not. you do not get threads where some guy says 'my car did not get nicked last night.' therefore these bad ones, which are the minority, stick out. it should be your liscence you are worried about. your 205, lovely as they were in their day will seem a slouch by comparison. the awd on the scoobys is excellent and they are fast as f0ck! take it easy!
Old 06 October 2004, 12:39 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Hi Shaft if your from round the lincoln area, none of the guys round here have had a problem, and I haven`t heard any horror storries from round here so you should be ok. Unless you live up on the gillies of course.
Old 06 October 2004, 12:52 PM
Shaft
Scooby Newbie

Thanks
I was in Lincoln for work, but live in (what has been branded since I ordered !!) the Burmuda Triangle of Subarus, ie Birmingham. It's generaly theft from home that I see as the biggest risk, if, as others have posted, care is taken with parking etc etc.
I have already found the forum useful, and it seems really active judging by the number of posts.
Old 06 October 2004, 01:19 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got so many similiarities with you Shaft, ordered new car two weeks ago and been noticing all the negative threads since. Living in the 'Bermuda Triangle', concern for my young familiy (wifes going to drive this car also) has been hightened!

However, I know a few people in the city with scoobies and they have never had any problems, as already said, negative points ALWAYS get the headlines (thats the NEWS for you!) and I feel that common sense is the biggest asset to security.

When I think about it every car I've had I've felt the same for a while (205 gti inc) and thankfully never had any probs.

These forums can be very useful, but you do have to filter a lot of the content into reality.

I am now just looking forward to driving the car I've wanted for so long!!!
Old 06 October 2004, 01:46 PM
Shaft
Scooby Newbie

I'm sure it was my earlier experience, and possibly the fact that the Impreza is a pretty "obvious" looking car. After driving one though, I am hooked. WHilst I have empathy with the "live life while you can" school, I also feel there is no need to go looking for trouble and cost and hassle.
I had better get some good sleep in over the next two weeks, cos it will be one eye open after that, until the issue returns to it's correct proportion.
Cheers.
Old 06 October 2004, 01:49 PM
sti300
Scooby Regular

Hi shaft,i had same feelings as you last march.i have a shop in Leeds in a very dodgy area.Advise that we all share is good advise and allways take note of cars following!I got supaglass from pentegon glass,disclock too.My sti has the trackster 24h jobie we can only have hope this is a good deter.They need the keys,so keep them near or on you at all times be on your guard of youths if worried don't park up wait untill your happy to leave your beast.Last months traker report says BMW X5 is the number 1 to go for,SUBARU only had 2 old ones nick with KEYS so good look and enjoy your new car and drive it like the clappers so no clingons can follow!

Martin
Old 06 October 2004, 03:13 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I've had Subarus since 98 (98,P1,STi,WR1) and I've never had any trouble.

Even though I'm still a little paranoid when I park away from home, most people are more inclined towards a 'look but don't touch' attitude. In fact most people ask me if they can have a closer look.

Sadly, the world is full of barstewards, but I try not to let them influence my life too much. The fact that our cars are fairly conspicuous works in their favour to a certain extent, and you're probably more likely to have your car nicked if you have an old ford than a Scoob.

Just my opinion of course, and nothing to do with all the fords I had being broken into, whilst to date none of the Scoobs have been touched.

Josh
Old 06 October 2004, 04:36 PM
Shaft
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the upbeat responses--- I'm begining to look forward to delivery again !
Old 06 October 2004, 05:13 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Shaft
Thanks for the upbeat responses--- I'm begining to look forward to delivery again !
Top stuff.
If your the worrying type, do what I did. I got a DIPOL fitted by the dealer, and I can't see anyone driving my car away in a hurry )
It's also smaller and much less hassle than a disklok or the likes.

Dipster

Quick Reply: New STi 05, and worried....