PPP on Euro import ??????

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2004, 11:33 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Question PPP on Euro import ??????

Considering buying a new STi, some of the prices for EU imports look attractive compared to UK prices and as far as I am aware Cyprus/Malta cars would now qualify for 3 year warranty. Will a UK dealer be willing to fit PPP to one of these (ie at least make some money selling me the upgrade) or will they refuse to fit in an attempt to persuade you that a UK car is an easier option. I run a slightly modded classic (de cat,filter,HKS plugs,H+S exhaust) at present and I'm worried that a standard 265BHP STi might not live up to my expectations due to the increased weight of the newer model. The reason I would want PPP instead of 3rd party mods would be to maintain the warranty as I can't see the point of buying new and then invalidating the cover.Any thoughs on both the PPP issue and pros and cons of import ?
Old 05 October 2004, 01:12 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got PPP on a Belgian import bugeye but that's full EU spec, registered with IM and full Certificate of Conformity paperwork

Dunno about the status of Cyprus / Malta now but they didn't used to be EU spec so IM would disown you i.e. no servicing etc. Best to try and ring IM / Subaru UK and find out where you stand but be prepared for either a cold shoulder or a "rough" time as you haven't played ball and bought one through them

Don't think there's much point ringing Prodrive directly as they'll point you back towards Subaru but it might be a last chance saloon job for info...

You still have to have the PPP fitted through a franchised dealer as the ECU is on an exchange basis.
Old 05 October 2004, 10:24 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheVoices
Considering buying a new STi, some of the prices for EU imports look attractive compared to UK prices and as far as I am aware Cyprus/Malta cars would now qualify for 3 year warranty. Will a UK dealer be willing to fit PPP to one of these (ie at least make some money selling me the upgrade) or will they refuse to fit in an attempt to persuade you that a UK car is an easier option. I run a slightly modded classic (de cat,filter,HKS plugs,H+S exhaust) at present and I'm worried that a standard 265BHP STi might not live up to my expectations due to the increased weight of the newer model. The reason I would want PPP instead of 3rd party mods would be to maintain the warranty as I can't see the point of buying new and then invalidating the cover.Any thoughs on both the PPP issue and pros and cons of import ?
u need to search forum - it has been covered in depth elsewhere - what price have u been quoted?
Old 05 October 2004, 10:26 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

Ring the distributor in the country of origin....it's their car and they control what mods can or can't be fitted, not Subaru UK.

CC
Old 05 October 2004, 01:09 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

As far as I know, PPP can only be fitted in the cars country of origin. i.e. a Belgian Subaru could have it fitted at a belgian dealer. Malta & Cyprus are now part of the EU and will come under Subarus pan European warranty. Although I think it needs registering with a Subaru UK dealer for it to be recognised.
Old 05 October 2004, 01:14 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Conrad_Bradley
As far as I know, PPP can only be fitted in the cars country of origin. i.e. a Belgian Subaru could have it fitted at a belgian dealer. Malta & Cyprus are now part of the EU and will come under Subarus pan European warranty. Although I think it needs registering with a Subaru UK dealer for it to be recognised.
malta /cyprus claim even that invalidates warranty - sounds like restrictive practice to me - any legal boffins out there?
Old 05 October 2004, 02:43 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I was told you can get PPP fitted but its upto Prodrive if they supply the kit to your dealer. If your dealer does a lot of PPPs then there wont be a problem.
Old 05 October 2004, 03:00 PM
StevietheG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
I was told you can get PPP fitted but its upto Prodrive if they supply the kit to your dealer. If your dealer does a lot of PPPs then there wont be a problem.
The kit doesn't come from Prodrive, but from Subaru.
Kits can be fitted to imports but the country of origin should be consulted to see if it will invalidate their warranty. As per what Comic Cuts said above.
Old 05 October 2004, 09:08 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Taking this one stage further then anyone know what effect other Subaru mods have on warranty eg Prodrive springs?

Thanks
Old 05 October 2004, 11:11 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Alliance prestige are offering at £21599 (+cat 1 alarm),also seen the ads for New Car Supermarket at under £19k which seems too good to be true. I have been offered a pre reg Evo 260 for £19995 (uk car with 15 miles on the clock) which has made me stop and think,love my Scooby but Evo's seem to be more cost effective from a tuning point of view.Anyone been offered a good deal on Uk Sti ?