Sponsored by:

Buying a car with a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 10:08 AM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car with a new engine

When looking at a car for sale, should the price be much lower if the car has had a new engine?

I notice this feature sometimes cropping up in the adverts.

(No there isn't a particular scoob I am after, as my car hasn't been sold yet).

I wondered if these cars should be excluded from my search, as my feeling is that the car has been thrashed. I suppose some could just be faulty engines.

So how would the value be affected?
Old 28 September 2004, 10:10 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

loads of engine failures owing to other things other than being thrashed - e.g. incorrect oil change procedure. or MAF sensor failure (in particular on 99/00 models).
Old 28 September 2004, 11:05 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

My MY00 suffered a big-end bearing failure back in February and had to be rebuilt. It was a lovely car and certainly hadn't been thrashed or abused - seems like it was just a manufacturing or servicing problem.

Of course, a buyer doesn't know that's the case - but it should be possible to tell if the car has been driven hard by looking at the condition of the brakes, clutch, gearbox and suspension, so if they're OK then there's no reason for the car to be any cheaper just because it's had the engine repaired.

The chap who bought my car got a 9000 mile engine instead of a 70,000 mile engine after all, and that's got to be worth something too.
Old 28 September 2004, 11:25 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

The fact it has a new engine shouldn't really affect the price - you're getting something newer that you would on an original car.

The only thing to ask is who did the rebuild and do they have a good reputation for such work. Also, it's worth asking if it was a rebuild or a complete new engine, whether the know the exact cause and how long ago it was.

If the engine blew due to a MAF or ECU fault and they just changed the engine, then it may have suffered damage on the new engine.

I guess the only thing it does it ask more questions, which could put some potential buyers off as the seller will always be trying to convince them it's OK.

Stefan
Old 28 September 2004, 11:30 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

If it's had a complete engine slotted in I'd say the price would be higher than usual. If it was rebuilt from, say, short motor, I'd want to know who built it. I still wouldn't expect price to be lower though.

CC
Old 28 September 2004, 12:28 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
loads of engine failures owing to other things other than being thrashed - e.g. incorrect oil change procedure. or MAF sensor failure (in particular on 99/00 models).
sorry the steal the thread here but what is a MAF sensor failure? I have a MY00 which is regulary serviced (at subaru), not thrashed and generally well looked after so would feel hard done by if it just blew out on me.
Old 28 September 2004, 12:56 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by rossi_p
sorry the steal the thread here but what is a MAF sensor failure? I have a MY00 which is regulary serviced (at subaru), not thrashed and generally well looked after so would feel hard done by if it just blew out on me.
MAF stands for mass airflow, there is a sensor after the air filter, and this measures the amount of air the engine consumes, and then alters the fuelling
To match to obtain the correct mixture. If this sensor starts to read incorrectly you can get under fuelling problems and the fuel to air mixture ratio is incorrect, normally to weak, this can lead detonation and eventually the death of your engine.
A simple way of telling whether your MAF is on the way out, is to perform an ECU re-set if the car then won't idle properly I would change the MAF.

Hope this helps

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2004, 05:42 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Don't know about the price differences, but any new engine or rebuild would put me off buying at all....
Old 28 September 2004, 07:43 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i'm just rebuilding a turbo after a maf failure it blew a hole in no.2 piston and left melted piston on the cylinder walls and some fairly deep grooves as well. unfortunatly no warranty so it's going to be expensive.
as long as the v5 gives the new engine no. then i wouldn't be worried at all
Old 29 September 2004, 08:27 AM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

If it is s full new engine, then it should be cool. If however you have a new short motor etc, then you will have an engine with partially worn components and new components which i understand will not last as long as a new engine. That said, my car has a new engine and I consider that it would sell for less. I would not buy a car with a new engine.
Old 29 September 2004, 09:08 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
If it is s full new engine, then it should be cool. If however you have a new short motor etc, then you will have an engine with partially worn components and new components which i understand will not last as long as a new engine. That said, my car has a new engine and I consider that it would sell for less. I would not buy a car with a new engine.
I dont see why. Say a car is worth 10k normally. You see it advertised as 10.5k with new engine. A decent engine rebuild or new unit is going to cost anything between 2 and 4 k. So the engine is only costing £500. Performance cars do go pop every now and then, not just because they are thrashed or not properly maintained.
Besides, you can tell if a car has been thrashed by looking at tyres, brakes, amount of stone chips etc.
A car with a new engine should not put you off. How are you supposed to tell if a car with its original engine isnt about to go pop?
Old 29 September 2004, 12:48 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I dont see why. Say a car is worth 10k normally. You see it advertised as 10.5k with new engine. A decent engine rebuild or new unit is going to cost anything between 2 and 4 k. So the engine is only costing £500. Performance cars do go pop every now and then, not just because they are thrashed or not properly maintained.
Besides, you can tell if a car has been thrashed by looking at tyres, brakes, amount of stone chips etc.
A car with a new engine should not put you off. How are you supposed to tell if a car with its original engine isnt about to go pop?
Chris - I agree with you, but I would still personally be put off by the new engine issue.
Old 29 September 2004, 12:53 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eprom
MAF stands for mass airflow, there is a sensor after the air filter, and this measures the amount of air the engine consumes, and then alters the fuelling
To match to obtain the correct mixture. If this sensor starts to read incorrectly you can get under fuelling problems and the fuel to air mixture ratio is incorrect, normally to weak, this can lead detonation and eventually the death of your engine.
A simple way of telling whether your MAF is on the way out, is to perform an ECU re-set if the car then won't idle properly I would change the MAF.

Hope this helps
Thanks for this... at least I know a little more than before
Old 29 September 2004, 12:55 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Wink

[QUOTE=Stephen Pope]Chris - I agree with you, but I would still personally be put off by the new engine issue.[/QUOTE
The issue may make me look abit harder at other areas, but not put me off.
why would you be put off? just curious thats all