been looking at scoob and 4motion this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2004, 07:59 AM
mmuuzzzzyy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default been looking at scoob and 4motion this weekend

Had a look at a 51 reg silver bugeye wrx (15000,miles)...........£12k
Only problem is that its a japanese import and tbh i dont think its worth that sort of money. Ive seen uk models same age for less.....

Also had a look at a golf v6 4motion. Very nice interior but still not too sure wether i like them. They arnt that quick (i think?) and have a worse drink problem than the scoob.

anyone know the performance figures for the golf v6 4motion.......0-100, 30-70

I want a scoob.
Wife wants a golf v6 4motion.

What shall i do????
Old 27 September 2004, 08:01 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

na she doesnt mate
Old 27 September 2004, 08:04 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Get the Scoob
4 Motions though are a well put together piecec of kit the handling is not in the same league as a Scoob.
I drove a friends 4 Motion and they do feel quite cumbersome in the twisties
Old 27 September 2004, 08:06 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mmuuzzzzyy
Had a look at a 51 reg silver bugeye wrx (15000,miles)...........£12k
Only problem is that its a japanese import and tbh i dont think its worth that sort of money. Ive seen uk models same age for less.....

Also had a look at a golf v6 4motion. Very nice interior but still not too sure wether i like them. They arnt that quick (i think?) and have a worse drink problem than the scoob.

anyone know the performance figures for the golf v6 4motion.......0-100, 30-70

I want a scoob.

What shall i do????
Buy the scoob mate,The wife will come to love it!
It was the same situation with me and the missus,She wanted a golf r32 i wanted an sti8,so i bought the sti and every now and then,I get the"just nipping to the local shop(two minutes away)shes gone for about an hour,Comes back with a grin on her face and mud all over the scooby,

(Am i missing something here)

mark
Old 27 September 2004, 08:06 AM
Azyman
Scooby Regular

My gf wanted a honda accord but when she took the WRX out she was more than pleased, & know she wants to upgrade it to a new sti next year
{result i think}
Old 27 September 2004, 09:56 AM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Red face DO NOT BUY THE GOLF

Sorry for sounding so strong on this one but please do not make the same mistake that I did!!

I bought a new 4 mo 2 years ago and with f1's the car really is a good car although the handling does rather fall apart on a bumpy country road. It is pretty quick but is thirsty.

The reason why I would never buy again is reliability...my car has been back to the dealers 10 times in 2 years for issues from coil packs, radius arms, drivers seat, rear boot lock, etc etc

These are all known problems with the car as well, for example the cooling fans have just failed...another well known problem cost to fix over 400 quid!!

I'm now looking at a scoob purely for this reason, and of course they are a bit more fun too!! If you really want the golf then go ahead but get a good warranty whatever you do.

Rant over
Old 27 September 2004, 10:00 AM
WRX Jase
Scooby Regular

Howdy Muzzy,

Had a classic scoob and 4-motion. Now got a WRX PPP wagon. Have been through this before as the wife is a MAJOR VW group fan.... my thoughts...

4-motions handling isn't anything like as good as a scoob (either of them). Steering is very light, gearbox is quite cumbersome. Don't think of them as a performance car in the same way as a scoob - more of a motorway cruiser. That said, nice and comfy mine had ALL the toys, V6 engine sounds nice, but in a different way to a flat-4 - cruised in a more relaxing way than the scoob. The dash finish is way ahead of any scoob too and they have that VW group finish all round. Not a car that makes you want to "just drive" though and the scoob has that quality in spades.

The mrs loved the 4-motion. However, she drove the new scoob and now loves that too and she is a major VW fan, ex-GTi owner etc etc She hated the classic - too raw.

If I was gonna be a passenger I'd want the 4-motion. If I was gonna drive it - the scoob, everytime.

As for performance. Fair enough my WRX has the PPP on it but the 4-motion is way down in terms of an performance - either straight line or in the fabled twisties. I understand that the R32 is much better, but it's big bucks for a Golf.

Drive 'em both. (Goes without saying) I reckon that when you do you'll eliminate one from your thinking straight away. Sooo different. Only thing in common is 4wd otherwise they are entirely different animals.

As for drinking. I find sod all diffence to be honest.

If all else fails and you need to know what to get........

a divorce....... ;-) then a scoob. Though that could prove expensive.

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2004, 10:04 AM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default WRX Jase

You have done what I'm considering....any regrets?

Need the wagon for the dog
Old 27 September 2004, 11:12 AM
WRX Jase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cat7
You have done what I'm considering....any regrets?

Need the wagon for the dog
Only one - that I didn't do it sooner. Got the wagon coss I have a young son and I can't believe the number of accessories they require. I also used the "it's more practical coss it's an estate" argument to get it through the domestic cost control measures that we had in place at the time ;-)

Car is in a different league if you are a keen driver. Done 30K miles in it now in 18-months. Only additional cost was a new stereo (the standard fit Subaru one is a joke). Other than that all it's cost me is servicing and a new set of brake pads. Still copes with the motorway commute, boot ain't the biggest but it's as big as the Golfs. One fault with the suspension fixed under warranty. I'm getting 29 - 30MPG on Optimax. Accurate coss I claim it back from work. Best car I've ever had.

Boot liner would be worth having for your four legged friend. I've got one to save wear and tear when throwing the pushchair in and out - £40 well spent believe me.
Old 27 September 2004, 01:27 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cat7
Sorry for sounding so strong on this one but please do not make the same mistake that I did!!

I bought a new 4 mo 2 years ago and with f1's the car really is a good car although the handling does rather fall apart on a bumpy country road. It is pretty quick but is thirsty.

The reason why I would never buy again is reliability...my car has been back to the dealers 10 times in 2 years for issues from coil packs, radius arms, drivers seat, rear boot lock, etc etc

These are all known problems with the car as well, for example the cooling fans have just failed...another well known problem cost to fix over 400 quid!!

I'm now looking at a scoob purely for this reason, and of course they are a bit more fun too!! If you really want the golf then go ahead but get a good warranty whatever you do.

Rant over
Alright there steve, get ready to spend lots of £'s, if you've started posting on here your wallet is fecked!!
Old 27 September 2004, 01:42 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

er - hate to say this, but you posted a question about a Scooby versus VW on a Scooby forum. Let;s just say you are unlikely to get many people voting the way of the VW. And guess what would happen if you posted the same question on a VW forum...)
Old 27 September 2004, 07:03 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

If you still want a 4mo try here If it's still available it's a cracker.
http://www.ukcarline.co.uk
dave
Old 27 September 2004, 07:14 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Don't forget that a Jap import WRX is a more powerful car than the UK WRX of the same age - there may be other changes too - so you are looking at a better car. If it's a 51 reg then more than likely a UK car of that age would be out of warranty anyway, so that's no difference, and there's no need to pay main dealer prices for servicing in either case.

There's a lot of general unfounded hesitance, nervousness and uncertainty out there regarding imports - especially Japanese models which are almost invariably better cars than their European equivalents. Do your research and you may change your mind about its value.
Old 27 September 2004, 08:02 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX Jase
Only one - that I didn't do it sooner. Got the wagon coss I have a young son and I can't believe the number of accessories they require. I also used the "it's more practical coss it's an estate" argument to get it through the domestic cost control measures that we had in place at the time ;-)

Car is in a different league if you are a keen driver. Done 30K miles in it now in 18-months. Only additional cost was a new stereo (the standard fit Subaru one is a joke). Other than that all it's cost me is servicing and a new set of brake pads. Still copes with the motorway commute, boot ain't the biggest but it's as big as the Golfs. One fault with the suspension fixed under warranty. I'm getting 29 - 30MPG on Optimax. Accurate coss I claim it back from work. Best car I've ever had.

Boot liner would be worth having for your four legged friend. I've got one to save wear and tear when throwing the pushchair in and out - £40 well spent believe me.
Just to let you know cat7 went to see a wrx wagon on the way home from work and ended up chopping his 4 motion in for it and driving the wrx home
Old 27 September 2004, 08:14 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default the reality

the scoobs cabin is W&*K compared to the golf, guess I'll get used to that!

Everything elso so far votes the scoob ahead....if your interested in fun.
Old 27 September 2004, 08:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It'd be a mistake to compare a VW Golf 4Motion to an Impreza though wouldnt it? It isnt a performance 4 wheel drive car like an Scooby or a Lancer; its a front wheel drive car with rear wheel drive under some circumstances. The cabin isnt brilliant in a Scooby but the chassis is **** on a golf.....