ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Golf V6 & S3 humble the Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2000, 12:44 AM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Denz:
<B>dont care what they say will NEVER buy a german car + they are all too expensive to run![/quote]
Don't do this to me! I tested a TT, S3, and Scooby (on the same day), and found the Scooby to have the best steering, and easiest to drive (the Audi 6-speed box was a lottery) - so I'm picking up a DBM 5-door this saturday (only paid 21,500 with aircon, mind). And IMHO, Audi dealers are all selling S3s, even 2nd-hand ones, for silly money. It certainly wasn't 5K better than the Scooby.

Old 18 July 2000, 07:09 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Red face

In this issue of Car magazine the Golf V6 4motion wins a comparison between the three, the Audi comes in second and our beloved Scooby comes in last!!!!
they say it's not as refined, has too much turbo lag and if you want a car for b- roads your'e better of with an Integra or a 306???
What say you?
Old 18 July 2000, 07:50 AM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

Don't beleive the hype! - and read the article again, it just states the Golf is a better all round option, Impreza is still the best for focussed drivers a-b.
Old 18 July 2000, 07:55 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Red face

Poppycock!

Not as refined.....agreed, but I believe the Audi is more expensive.

Turbo lag..............what? Never experienced bad turbo lag in my car.

I've driven the Audi S3 (but not the Golf). For my preference on a B road, the Audi is not even in the same league as the Scoob. Too heavy and wallowy, too cosseting, less driver involvement etc.

Can't comment on the Golf so I'll have to blag a test drive in one.

These are my opinions only BTW

(But I am right)

Blubs
Old 18 July 2000, 07:59 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

He does say it is the better a-b car but he adds that for a-b he would rather have the Integra or 306??? (wasn't this setteled already?)
and why did they take the 5 door and not the sedan, it has better looks and is lighter.
I'm amazed at Car, they are the only ones to say the Golf is a good car nevermind better than the Impreza, Autocar, Evo, Top gear, all said it was missing the point.
I'm thinking of canceling my subscription.
Old 18 July 2000, 08:14 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Turbo what????
Ive owned a 306 gti (2 of em) and yes there a good car and quick on a/b roads but i have never had a car that is as quick on a and b roads as the impreza, some of it is probably hype due to the new model being released at the end of the year and you cant really have a car that came out in 92/3 kicking a golfs *** can you?? lol!!
2 lardy cars v an impreza??? impreza please!!

Tony
Old 18 July 2000, 08:31 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Red face

After reading the test again, all I can say is that a ford mondeo 1.8 would have beaten the Scoob if it had been in the test and my reasons:
* it has a better interior.
* it's more comfortable.
* more cosseting.
it's not as fast, grippy, involving has a worst driving position, so what?! so does the Golf but it still won!
Old 18 July 2000, 08:36 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

We have had part of this thread elsewhere. I'm afraid I dont totally agree with the article either.

Since the article was written Audi has dropped the list price of the S3 to £24,750 and you can go to a dealer and buy a brand new one at £22,250. So the S3 is for that money much better spec'd than the V6 and Impreza. Leather Recaros, Xenon, climate and decent stereo.

Ive owned an S3 and a std MY00. I would go for the S3 all the time. If the MY00 had PPP and nice alloys it might be different.

I took out for an extended test drive the V6 4 Motion at the weekend. The std seats (test car had leather Recaros £2000) provide no lateral support at all. The car exhibits a LOT of roll and the brakes even by VAG stds were overservod. The engine did sound nice, but I might as well of been in my wife's old 1.8 Turbo or worse still a 1.6S. I'm sure its a good motorway car, but from the drivers seat not a lot of fun.

Jonathan
P1
Old 18 July 2000, 09:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

That does sound like a much more realistic price for the S3, and I'd have a hard choice at that level. Hell, no I wouldn't, I'd still buy the Impreza from Holland (grin, duck and run)

Anyhow, personally I'm *glad* that the Impreza is losing its popularity with magazines. Maybe the M** P**** muppets will **** off and bother something else. Maybe insurance premiums will go down. Maybe pigs will fly
Old 18 July 2000, 10:11 AM
Denz
Scooby Regular

dont care what they say will NEVER buy a german car + they are all too expensive to run!
Old 18 July 2000, 01:20 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Airmiles

The thing is you can buy an S3 now for Scooby money.

Jonathan
Old 18 July 2000, 03:32 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
<B>Airmiles

The thing is you can buy an S3 now for Scooby money.

Jonathan[/quote]
Can you now? I've just been quoted 21,500 for a fully loaded A3 Quattro import - i.e. you can't even get an imported S3 that cheap??

In any case - I've already paid the deposit, insurance, etc. etc..... Besides, for lugging around mountainbikes, climbing gear, skis etc. I'm not sure a designer leather interior is such a smart idea.

Old 18 July 2000, 03:41 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Go to
Old 18 July 2000, 04:59 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
<B>Go to
Old 18 July 2000, 05:21 PM
davidw
Scooby Regular

I pulled out of a car deal before and all I lost was my deposit.

I paid a small deposit for a AX GT and went to check the insurance quotes. Reality set in and I decided that I couldn't afford the car (at the time I was a poor student) and the insurance was quite step. I phoned the dealer the next day, apologised and said keep the deposit (as if I had a choice anyway).

The dealer had jumped the gun and posted the log book off to the DVLA before I had completed the deal. He then had an unsold car on his forcourt with another registered keeper. I wasn't very popular.

[This message has been edited by davidw (edited 18-07-2000).]
Old 18 July 2000, 11:36 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

As far as I'm concerned when I bought my scoob I knew the engine wasn't exactly refined and the inside is made of old mars bar wrappers.

I bought it cos it's mad as bicycle and give you a grin every time you drive it.

If I worried about refinement and interior quality I'd have bought a Beemer.

Bit concerned that they chose to use a pretty tired example vs brand new in the test tho, what's the point of that?

Cheers

Simon
Old 18 July 2000, 11:46 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Simon

"A pretty tired example"

Now theres a statement for you. The car tested is a maximum of 9 months old. Has only been in one other magazine article and is tired. So should all pre V reg owners sell their tired Scoobies ?

Some would say it needs the mileage to loosen up and show its true potential. If my tired old V reg was anything to go by then I would agree.

Ive had 5 Scoobies and by far the worst was the MY00 in std form. The engine was tighter than a scotsmans wallet and even after a few gallons of super was not much looser.

Dosent say much for JD power if all V regs Impreza's are consigned to the bin. Glad they didnt test a W reg as it might of felt slow in comparison to the Golf

Jonathan
Old 19 July 2000, 10:26 AM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

What was the purpose of the review? Was it to establish which was the best "fun" car or which one would your mummy like best? If the review was aimed at old farts with flat caps who's idea of speed is 35 down a dual carriageway then they probably got it right, but for anyone who actually wants to get a laugh out of their cars then, well I think we know the answer to that. Besides which, who ever bought a Scooby because it was refined? I'm buying mine because it isn't.
BTW did the magazine come with a free pipe and pair of slippers?

[This message has been edited by harryh (edited 19-07-2000).]
Old 19 July 2000, 12:10 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'd go and buy an Impreza Turbo from Belgium and spend £15k (no VAT yet).

Oh I did. Doh. S3= 9 grand better than Scoob. Nope don't think so!
Old 19 July 2000, 11:28 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

All I meant by "tired" was and I quote from the magazine;

"This impreza was not a good example of the breed. The brakes had been cooked by a previous driver and the driver's door and window seemed at odds with the door frame."

Just suggested to me it's had a hard life, if not been pranged, and is hardly going to compare well with the newer VW/Audi.

I too have a V reg that is just loosening up nicely!

Cheers

Simon
Old 21 July 2000, 09:11 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Wink

The more I read the article the more I'm thinking about stop reading "Car".
he goes on about a friend he has which switched his Scoob for an Audi A8????? and his explenation is that most of the time we don't drive flat out, but this is exactly why I baught the car, I could have gotten a Vectra, but I don't care about comfort, and this is not what this car is about.
It is way faster than the Golf (0-60 7.6 Vs. 5.2, Top gear), handles better (evev "Car" admits) and these are the reasons why I baught the Impreza, and why I can't wait for the new one, as for the interior it was inferior to the Fiat coupe, Golf GTI MY98 and Audi TT but it still won, so give me a break.
Old 21 July 2000, 09:41 AM
IainT
Scooby Regular

Red face

I drove a V6 4Motion yesterday and the standard seats you get are rubbish for a 'flagship' 'performance' car, Recaros are only an option in leather(£1900 !!!).
Oh and you cant go round corners quick because of the body roll, it reminded me of a Range Rover (feels like its about to capsize ), after driving the scooby.
Glad to get back in my scooby, It was nice in a straight line, quick but not scooby quick, but corners oh Lordy
Might be fine if your not used to Impreza handling tho!
Old 21 July 2000, 10:27 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Red face

iain

wot r u doing driving a Golf on your day off !!! cant u find at least 10 things better to do than that

it all depends on your reason for buying a car.

the golf will appeal to some, but not any of us with scoobs who read this board !

the audi is a lot closer to a scoob i reckon - not actually having driven an S3. although the old 80 Sport was a cracking early/mid 80's machine for acceleration and handling.
Old 23 July 2000, 10:55 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

the s3 looks a lor better than the impreza
Old 24 July 2000, 06:23 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ah well - tins were quoting 12 weeks for an S3. Since I actually need the extra space over an S3, can't afford to be precious over the interior, and had it ready to collect anyway, I stuck with Scooby and picked up my 5-door on Sat. Might have been a different story if I was starting from scratch, mind.

What can I say? Truly hatstand! Yes, the S3's more kwality, but the Impreza's still better-handling. Roundabouts will never be the same again! Happy days....