Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby ownership: A newbie's perspective!

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2004, 01:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby ownership: A newbie's perspective!

Hi all,

Thought I might say a few words about my experience of driving an Impreza, as the proud new owner of a M99 Classic Turbo 2000. This is quite long, but maybe it'll evoke some fond memories in the more experienced Scooby owners.

First a bit of background about me and the acquisition of the vehicle.

I'm 27, and have spent the last 10 years training for my chosen profession. I'd kept myself motivated to study by promising myself that I'd get myself a proper performance car upon completion of my training. I'd fell for the Scooby about 4 years ago after seeing an RB5 pull out of the local railway station. With its steel blue paintwork, wings, bonnet vents and a huge spoiler, it was the business! Then there was the sound it made as it pulled (rather briskly) into traffic. It sounded....I don't know....alive.... and very angry! My jaw hit the floor!

Till the last motorshow, I'd not had the means to buy a scooby, so i decided not to wind myself up by taking one for a test drive! However, at the motorshow, things were different: I was going to take a taster test drive of my first Scooby: A silver WRX. I was dead impressed by the car, but had a sneaking suspicion that I'd like the WRX STi even more. So, I got behind the wheel of that one too......

"Floor it down the back straight" said the Subaru official. So I did!

"That's rather fast old chap", I said......except in not so many words....and maybe not so politely. In fact, I'm fairly sure that my outburst made the WR Blue Sti go a few shades darker!

I'll take it!!! Whats that? Insurance, you say? How bad can it be?

Pretty bad! Actually, unbelievably bad! So bad that I couldn't afford the car I wanted! I was a broken man, till I met someone who said the magic words:

"Try a classic turbo, you won't be disappointed"

Now I could afford the horrendous insurance on one of these cause the cost of the car would be much lower! Interesting! Surely it would be a let down after the new-age Sti though? Off to A Subaru dealership for me and a date with a 99MY classic.

"Ever driven a Scooby before?" Asked the salesman. I told him about my fondness for the WRX and especially the STi He grinned and assurred me that I'd love the classic. Cocky sod!

Don't you just hate it when salesmen are right! I won't describe what I thought of the car here, I'll leave that till I tell you about my car. Save to say I was sold on a classic. The dealer's example was a handsome Dark Blue Mica MY99 with the prodrive bodykit (nice!) and a Scoobysport (I think) exhaust. However, it had 50K on the clock and he wanted £11995 for it! I was sure I could do better privately. I was right, I found an immaculate, completely standard, very lightly lightly used MY99 In dark blue mica for a fiver under 10K. Bargin!

So what have I made of my first week or so behind the wheel then?

Performance

What can I say, it's on another level. I know modern 'Super Gtis' had closed the gap between that end of the performance market and the WRX, but the UK classic turbo still feels like it rules the affordable performance car roost! It's very docile and tractable from tickover, but at 2500rpm, you sense something is about to happen, at 3000rpm the turbo starts to take hold and off you go......at a rate which -to a newbie- is barely believeable and, frankly, quite scary. You back off having reached a much higher speed than you intended to reach (honestly, your honor) and take in what just happened. Then you just grin in amazement and you do it again, just to check you weren't imagining it! The turbo hisses, the boxer engine growls and whatever was behind you is now very far behind you and whatever was far ahead of you is now virtually in your lap!

Its power corrupts and encourages you to put your toe in whenever possible. It's not just skill that you need to drive one of these well, but discipline: once you've felt the turbo rush, you want to do it again, and again! You've always got to me mindful of he fact that just cause you can do something (like overtake about 3 cars at a time), doesn't mean that you should!

Handling

Haven't really had a chance to really push mine yet; I'll wait for a trackday to do that. I have noticed that- in road driving- grip and traction just doesn't seem to be an issue in this car. You put your foot down and it gets its power down, without any loss of purchase (even in the wet), you turn into a corner and it obeys your steering inputs faithfully and seems to be very neutral. I've often taken a corner at a speed that I'd thought would challenge the car, only for it to sail through in a manner which suggested that I could have gone much quicker. I think you really do need to re-calibrate your notion of what is achievable when you're new to this type of car, as its certainly capable of far more than any "quick" car I'd previously driven. You'll forgive me for taking it steady though, I get the distinct that the car is a lot more competent than me!

Ride/comfort/refinement

I had expected to have to compromise on these attributes with the classic turbo in relation to the WRX and, indeed, that is the case, but the compromise in the ride is not nearly as great as some of the literature would have you believe. The ride is firm, but not uncomfortable or crashy. There is very little body roll and the car seems to take any kind of surface imperfection/irregularity in its stride without threatening to bounce you off the road.

The car doesn't seem as well insulated against extraneous noise as the WRX, but that's a good thing if you like to hear the turbo and engine working. The tyre roar etc.. is less welcome, however. That said, even at Motorway speeds, you can hold a conversation without having to raise your voice. As far as I'm concerned, a bit of extra noise is par for the course for a performance car. Although if refinement is important to you, the WRX is the one to go for as this is the one area in which the WRX significantly improves upon the Classic.

Oh, whilst we're on the subject of noise, whether you've got/going for the classic or WRX, you really must ditch the standard backbox (way too muted) I went for a H&S classic. Fantastic, brings out the flat four burble a treat and not too loud. I think I may be preaching to the converted though!

Reliability

Too early to say, but its been well looked after by the previous owner and will continue to be pampered by me, so fingers crossed. I will say this much though: the car is now 5 years old, and there is not one squeek or rattle! It still feels very tight and looks great!

Reaction from other road users/passengers

Mixed bag, this! The Scooby is not a car for those that don't like attention, that's for sure! Everyone seems to know what they are and most people seem to hold them in quite high regard. They certainly don't attract the kind of resentment that I see Porsche drivers on receiving end of! People will let you out of side streets and won't call you rude and interesting names at traffic lights!

Forgive me if I'm not being PC, but the ladies seem to like them too! They're not as "in your face" as some performance cars and don't have that nasty "ambitious city w(b)anker" stigma attached to them. Scooby also sounds cuddly and cute, er..... apparently! onder2: I've given a few female friends a lift now, and they've all come over all giggly when they've got out and said what a great car they thought it was and how they'd like one! How cool is that: a performance car your GF will approve of, although there might be a few arguments over who drives it! I've even had one proposition me for a lift or two! I always hated it when women went for the blokes in the fast cars....till I got one! .

Now for the downside and its a big one: if you behave and adhere to the speed limit, which- of course- you should , they'll be no shortage of idiots that just HAVE to get past you, just to say they overtook a scooby! It's the same a traffic lights, you sit there with no intention of racing and some plonker in a diesel mondeo pulls up and tears away at the slightest hint of amber as if his/her life depended on it! Well, I say tears away....its all relative!

Then you get the boy racers in the Novas. Listen you silly boys: it doesn't matter how many go faster stripes you've attached to your Nova, it's still a Nova and a Scooby would eat it alive without even trying. Please, leave it- we're not going to race you, Optimax is expensive, you know, and not to be wasted on such pointless endeavours!

Then there are the people who like your car so much, they want one without paying for it. You really can't scrimp on the security! The standard Cat 1 system really needs to be supplemented with a good Disclock and a tracker/blackjax. You'll want to keep the car off the road and not park in dingy places. Sad, but that's the reality of owning a nice car these days! You quickly develop a very suspicious nature Which is really sad as nine times out of ten, someone is just admiring your car with no ill intent. Bare that in mind before you storm out of your house Rambo style!

Overal

I like my Scooby so much, it's scary! I hope I never have to part with it! A big thanks to all of you on here that have helped me out with queries; this is a really helpful and friendly community and contributes greatly to the pleasure of Scooby ownership. I hope to see all of you soon at some of the Kent meets.

I'll send some before and after pics of the car when I've got it color coded and attached the Sti 5 Spoiler.....size matters!

Best wishes.
Old 30 August 2004, 02:02 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

glad you like it, I have had my car now for over a year and a half my99 and im still grinning like an idiot. every now and then I have to drive my sisters car at work, a hyundai lantra estate - its loose and like driving a bus, get back into mine and its so reasuring to be behind the wheel of a car that was thought about when it was made

makes all the right noises at all the right times.
Old 30 August 2004, 02:15 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

I'm into my 4th year of scoob ownership MY97 then an STI8PPP and I know exactly what you are talking about.

After 3 years I felt the need to upgrade from the classic to new shape STI and you go through all those emotions and sensations again. Well worth the expense
Old 30 August 2004, 03:05 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cost of running is just soooooooo much. It's not that i can't afford it but i know if i ran a 172 or similar then i'd be loaded.
Took my mother's 172 for a blast and loved it. I have no doubt that in the real world it wouldn't be too far behind mine but it simply didn't "feel" fast. So running the Scoob is gonna continue until i find another car which meets all the criteria i require - 4wd, turbo, sound, overtaking ability and cheap to run. Does this car exsist?
Old 30 August 2004, 03:17 PM
mw2655
Scooby Regular

new scooby 04, glad you like it, i've had my my00 2 1/2 yrs now and still grinning.

the trouble is you get used to the power, mine started off standard and is now full de-cat with a AE800 ecu, i've just put the OE centre and bb back on for MOT time and i hate it, every time i stop at a junction i think i've stalled until i look at the rev counter, it's so quiet. still soon be changed back.
i find driving my gf's f reg 205 stops me buying more performance parts as i appreciate the speed when getting back into mine.

cheers matt.
Old 30 August 2004, 03:21 PM
New_scooby_04

Brun: I guess its as the old saying goes: You play, you pay!

Running costs do have to be viewed in context: You've got a car that is as quick as many a Porsche and - in real world driving conditions, point to point- is about as fast as it gets. Things don't seem unreasonable when you remember that.

Besides, you only live once!

Best
Old 30 August 2004, 03:50 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Excellent, well written review. Glad your enjoying it. I felt the same when I brought mine....just dont spend too much time on here or you'll soon be in search of 250bhp......270bhp....280bhp....300bhp....350bhp.. .400bhp.....and more

Addictive.

Bob

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 30 August 2004 at 03:51 PM. Reason: speeling :)
Old 30 August 2004, 03:53 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

As for costs if you love it you'll put up with it. I paid a shocking £3600 in insurance the first year I had mine.

Well worth it though

Bob
Old 30 August 2004, 04:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Bob: Yikes!! Well done sir! That's a Scooby fan! Double what I paid for mine and I thought I was hard done by! In fact, that's even more than what one of my mates paid for an M3, he's my age, but like me had no-no claims bonus! I've not been in his M3 for quite a time now, but if memory serves, I doubt the Scooby looses out much in a straight line (to legal speeds) and -given two equally skilled drivers- my money would be on the Scooby in the corners. Not bad considering my car cost one fith of his! (he went for the cabrio and loaded it up with options).

Best wishes and I hope your quotes are cheaper now!
Old 30 August 2004, 04:58 PM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

I too have just bought my scooby just last week (now having become of insurable age - 22.) and love everything about it except the fuel costs.......£120 in first week:gulp:

Ive also already spent around £500 on bits and bobs already to get it looking/performing as I want........with many more mods planned

Yes, expensive....but worth it? I think so

Last edited by Colinj; 30 August 2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old 30 August 2004, 05:55 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Bob: Yikes!! Well done sir! That's a Scooby fan! Double what I paid for mine and I thought I was hard done by! In fact, that's even more than what one of my mates paid for an M3, he's my age, but like me had no-no claims bonus! I've not been in his M3 for quite a time now, but if memory serves, I doubt the Scooby looses out much in a straight line (to legal speeds) and -given two equally skilled drivers- my money would be on the Scooby in the corners. Not bad considering my car cost one fith of his! (he went for the cabrio and loaded it up with options).

Best wishes and I hope your quotes are cheaper now!
Yeah I love it to bits. Your car and an M3 Coupe will be the same 1/4mile. Should be quicker than a convertible one.

Insurance is getting cheaper @ only £2400 this year....bargain

Remember what I said about spending too much time on here....I went from standard to decat to 270/280bhp and now looking at getting it to 330 odd.

Get yourself booked in for some track time to see what the limits of the car are....I did this with mine too when I first got it. I always remember somebody telling me that on the road my nerve would give before the car. Good to gain confidence in the car.

Happy motoring

Bob
Old 30 August 2004, 07:42 PM
New_scooby_04

Colin, what mods have you done and got planned mate? My first was the backbox.

Best,
Old 30 August 2004, 08:43 PM
boaaz
Scooby Regular

Wow,

Great review.I bought my first Scoob on Saturday(Version 6 Type R V-Ltd) from Sheffield and your Review was word for word accurate,I even drove the wife and two kids down to London in her last night and the drive was fantastic.My Wife loves it and i'm sure that we'll be fighting for the Keys very soon.
I too love the whole Scoob experience,the attention,the power,the performance and the Sound,Oh that sound!!

To sum the car up in a word i'd say ADDICTION!!

Enjoy,

Mike.
Old 30 August 2004, 10:45 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Nice to see someone with a good understanding of the English language

Some of the posts here have me in hysterics, so nice to see a great articulate post from a new owner.

Great write up and definitely takes me back to when I got mine. Must warn you though that you will very quickly get used to it and it will start to feel normal - hope you get a drive of another car occasionally to remind you just how quick it is.

Hope you enjoy it as much as me (owner of a Newage for 6 months)

Rob.
Old 31 August 2004, 09:53 AM
New_scooby_04

Thanks Rob and Mike. I try! By the way, no danger of me taking the Scoby's performance for granted yet; all I have to do in jump in my dad's 2.0 Capri, which feels like some kind of tractor after the Scooby. The Capri may be a classic car, but my goodness, haven't performance cars come a long way!

Mike, glad you and the family are loving the Car, I've yet to have a go of a classic STi, but I'm guessing they must be absolutely bonkers fast!

Best
Old 31 August 2004, 10:59 AM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

Colin, what mods have you done and got planned mate? My first was the backbox.

Best,
Turbo timer and STi rear lights, although I am looking at Back boxes right now....credit card to hand - Oh dear

Which Backbox did you get? and what would people reccomend for a Classic with PPP? I like the Look of the H&S 4.5" angle exit.
Old 31 August 2004, 11:30 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Scooby 04,
Well said, I am now in my third week of ownership of a Jap Spec Classic WRX ...wow !!, I still cannot stop smiling every time I drive it. My kids never wanted to go on 'days out' now they are looking at the maps to find places to go to. Downside is wife want to sell Celica and use the Scooby :-(.
I am a 53 year old codger and pay £600 insurance with Norwich Union..pretty good eh!
I agree with your opinion on the exhaust, that noise and the engine growl is something special.
Keep on enjoying it.
Big-G
Old 31 August 2004, 11:35 AM
New_scooby_04

Hi Colin, I've got the H&S 3.5 inch. Had it fitted by Xtreme Scoobies. If you like to hear the flat four throb, I can highly recommend it. It has a wonderful bassy character that really accentuates the Scooby's natural sound. It's loud enough to turn heads when you give the accelerator a prod or when burbling along at idle, but settles down nicely when you're on a steady throttle. If you prefer all out volume you might want to check out other types e.g. The Firestorm is loud enough to wake the dead!

Best wishes
Old 31 August 2004, 11:54 AM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

I currently have a 3.5" Prodrive bb so looking to upgrade in both looks and size!

This is the one I want - http://www.******.co.uk/uploader/images/HandS_2.jpg - Sorry to whoevers photo that is ive been drooling over and posting

Think the Firestorm in pretty much the same but costs more.
Old 31 August 2004, 12:59 PM
New_scooby_04

Nice! :-) Just be careful against fitting something that, though amusing at first, wears very thin on long journeys.......or really gets up your neighbours noses! :-D

Best.
Old 31 August 2004, 01:22 PM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

Nice! :-) Just be careful against fitting something that, though amusing at first, wears very thin on long journeys.......or really gets up your neighbours noses! :-D

Best.
Worth it tho
Old 31 August 2004, 04:10 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Great write up, glad to know you're enjoying the car so much, I still love my 00MY to bits after 18 months.

And because you've bought a 99MY, you can always go the Ecutek route for a safe increase in power for a reasonable outlay.

(Its also refereshing to see a thread that hasn't turned sour with any dodgy comments )
Old 31 August 2004, 04:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Hi Matt,

Cheers. I did wonder whether someone would reply with words to the effect of "they're great at first, but x, y, z......" However, I think even those on here who've upgraded to faster cars, or modified a standard car extensively remember fondly the first time they got themselves behind the wheel of a Scooby! Even in standard trim, these are still very fast and very special cars! We're lucky people eh! :-)

Now, about that Ecutek remap.....

Best wishes,

Paul.
Old 31 August 2004, 05:30 PM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

yes this post takes me back.

never drove a scooby before and hardly ever saw one till my new missus was not happy with what i was driving (cavalier 20i) she wanted me to get a new car. she wanted a bmw but i said to common.i said what about a scooby. she said i don't care as long as it has electric windows. saw one for sale in birmingham. so i phoned up and went up that weekend to see it."silver classic turbo" had to have it. now before this i thought the cav was quite fast "i know dont laugh to much" got into new scoob and set off heading for motorway back to wiltshire with a mate in front that took me up there. took it steady at first "no using the turbo till on motorway" then the love affair started. hit the motoway. holy s*?t i didn't think it was going to stop eccelarating. my mate started to have a little race with an xr2 turbo. was still shaking at the time so stayed back a bit. then thought lets play and put my foot down. i will never forget that feeling. flew past the both off them with ease. i now have a 03 sti type uk. and there is no going back. i love the scoob to death. there is a lovely feeling about parking in a supermarket carpark knowing that you car is proberly the fastest car there.

enjoy new scooby 04. you dont need me to tell you that though.
dont use mine for work just a play thing so i dont get to used to it.
Old 31 August 2004, 08:59 PM
New_scooby_04

You're right about the BMW, unless you can go for an M3 (which are stonking good cars). The only problem with them is that even 316i's seem to be badged up with the M logo now, which is a bit sad! :-) Also, you'd have had to put up with seeing Scoobies and thinking: "Maybe I should have gone for the Scooby" :-D

Best.