Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody bought the official "SPORTS MUFFLER" ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2004, 11:55 AM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody bought the official "SPORTS MUFFLER" ?

Hi,

SPORTS MUFFLER - Part No. SEJMSE5000 £ 235.00 (including VAT)

I'm thinking about specifiying this in place of the standard 04MY twin pipes and was just curious as to whether anyone else had experience of one. Does it sound half decent?

I don't really think it should cost more in insurance, but I suppose it is a 'change from the manufacturers standard specification' isn't it? It's one pipe instead of two FFS! Is metallic paint also a change? I should know better being an insurance underwriter shouldn't I?

Would a ScoobySport backbox be better instead?
Old 27 August 2004, 12:48 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

How did you get that link (which bits did you click on) - I can get the detail from your link, but couldn't find that backbox going thru the menu's. Oh and what car are you driving?
Old 27 August 2004, 01:47 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trashman
How did you get that link (which bits did you click on) - I can get the detail from your link, but couldn't find that backbox going thru the menu's. Oh and what car are you driving?
I found it under the Exterior within the Accessories section of the main Subaru UK website - it's well down the list...

I've got a Cooper S at the moment but my wife convinced me that it's no longer practical (didn't take much!) so I'm ordering a 04MY WRX from whoever I can get the best deal from...

I wonder if ANYONE has seen it in action?
Old 27 August 2004, 01:51 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dietbruboy
I found it under the Exterior within the Accessories section of the main Subaru UK website - it's well down the list...

I've got a Cooper S at the moment but my wife convinced me that it's no longer practical (didn't take much!) so I'm ordering a 04MY WRX from whoever I can get the best deal from...

I wonder if ANYONE has seen it in action?
It certainly doesn't look like the regular WR Sport backbox. Anyway, I personally prefer the Scoobysport. It has the burble it has some deep growling but not a hint of harshness (sorry if I sound like the Scoobysport website).
Old 27 August 2004, 02:01 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

or if you want you could get a sti exhaust from someone who had it replaced with the ppp kit, i paid £30 for the one I had.

I have a scoobyworld Ninja now.
Old 27 August 2004, 04:11 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

If I went ahead... my insurance company (Admiral) would be looking to increase my Cooper S insurance up from £319 to £517. If I changed the exhaust they'd put the premium up by a further £32 a year (not bad I thought?).

What they did say was if I went ahead and changed the exhaust they'd put a 'non-standard specification' clause. This which would limit cover in the event of a loss to the costs of 'standard' spec parts - not the increased (or otherwise) costs of any mods fitted.

Interesting - their charging me £32 for no extra cover then? Is this just in recognition of the increased risk a modded car is to a standard one, maybe? Or more likely, just an admin fee?

DBB
Old 27 August 2004, 04:33 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dietbruboy
If I went ahead... my insurance company (Admiral) would be looking to increase my Cooper S insurance up from £319 to £517. If I changed the exhaust they'd put the premium up by a further £32 a year (not bad I thought?).

What they did say was if I went ahead and changed the exhaust they'd put a 'non-standard specification' clause. This which would limit cover in the event of a loss to the costs of 'standard' spec parts - not the increased (or otherwise) costs of any mods fitted.

Interesting - their charging me £32 for no extra cover then? Is this just in recognition of the increased risk a modded car is to a standard one, maybe? Or more likely, just an admin fee?

DBB
I'm with Admiral also - similar cost for changing backbox (though 300 quid more for the premium )Suspect the increase is a bit of increased risk for mod, admin fee and of course makes it more attractive (potentially) for theft. Also mine isn't covered. The good news from my point of view is that my policy (as yours would) states "non standard exhaust/manifold". So changing everything else including the headers would cost me no more in insurance. OK, would need to be remapped but the power increase is partially attributable to the exhaust changes so the ECU remap would probably fall in one of their lower "chip" brackets

Sooooooo tempted
Old 27 August 2004, 05:11 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Liverpool Victoria don't give a monkeys about mods unless they increase the bore size. Register your mods with them but it won't increase your premium.

I found Admiral really expensive.
Old 27 August 2004, 05:21 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sKunk
Liverpool Victoria don't give a monkeys about mods unless they increase the bore size. Register your mods with them but it won't increase your premium.

I found Admiral really expensive.
LV were marginally cheaper (about 20 or 30 quid if I remember) for me, however for peace of mind I went with Admiral as there are so many posts questioning whether LV do allow mods. For 50p a week it was a no brainer.
Old 27 August 2004, 05:23 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbee
or if you want you could get a sti exhaust from someone who had it replaced with the ppp kit, i paid £30 for the one I had.
Don't get the STI exhaust - they're pretty rubbish.
The WRSport option is pretty good. Nice sound, not too loud.
You can drive the car and still hear what your passengers are telling you without anyone having to shout.

The standard STI backbox is really restrictive by the way - do a search on here. Someone in the "know" actually cut one open to have a look

If you want someting not too loud, but just nice then go for the WRSport item, if you want a stupid sounding big dopey exhaust then obviously dont bother with it.

I used to have the WRSport backbox on my STI, but then it was replaced with the PPP backbox. I sold the WRSport item to a guy in the UK.

Shaun
Old 27 August 2004, 05:41 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trashman
I'm with Admiral also - similar cost for changing backbox (though 300 quid more for the premium )Suspect the increase is a bit of increased risk for mod, admin fee and of course makes it more attractive (potentially) for theft. Also mine isn't covered. The good news from my point of view is that my policy (as yours would) states "non standard exhaust/manifold". So changing everything else including the headers would cost me no more in insurance. OK, would need to be remapped but the power increase is partially attributable to the exhaust changes so the ECU remap would probably fall in one of their lower "chip" brackets

Sooooooo tempted
Trashman, I tried to get to the bottom of what they needed to know and what they increased premiums for. The Welsh lassie I spoke to sounded very reasonable and confident though - chances are they hear these kinds of queries everyday.

Back when I used to do motor underwriting our policy was that we asked what the % bhp increase was - then doubled it as a load on the premium - but it wasn't all that common back then. I always thought we were quite reasonable as a company, but as long as people were upfront and told you first, so you could make a judgement call.

Then you'd get muppets who'd call and say that wanted their 17 year old son included on their 911's or M3's and we'd always say something like 'what has had done to upset you so much?' and they'd be like, 'er, I don't get you?'. 'Upset you enough that you don't mind him and three of his mates dead by the weekend?'.

Then we'd refuse. Motors are as cheap as anything to repair, but death or permanent disablement claims usually cost a half million minimum each - and most insurers can't afford too many of those a month... lecture over!

Old 27 August 2004, 08:07 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I bought my back box from Subaru, but it does not look like the one you are after. Mine has a 4" tail pipe, stainless all over, and i know is made by Scorpion. At the time i bought it (car standard) i loved it, and once it had a few miles under it sounded good for just a back box change. Now my car is modded, i am not sure i like the resonance i seem to get from it. I want that Scooby burble and i dont feel i am getting at the minute. I am looking to buy another b/b now.
Old 27 August 2004, 08:36 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

madass checkout the ninja, no resonance on mine.

The STI exhaust is the same internally as the wrx just a larger single exit pipe, it will have no peroformance gains jus sound and looks a little better.

for £30 its a bargain, I wouldnt bother with one of the subarua upgrades you can get better for less
Old 27 August 2004, 08:51 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

If found i had a nice burbling sound from my WRSprort back box.
Old 27 August 2004, 09:22 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pbee
madass checkout the ninja, no resonance on mine.
Yeah, i have thought about Ninja, but i am a little uncertain about the noise?
the clips on Scoobyworld are classic scooby so i cant really tell if i would like it or not. I certainly do not want deafening in any way, i aint after ear plug's.