Going to Germany

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2000, 12:01 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Mornin'
Been asked if I'd like to go to germany on a business trip, hmm, let me think, umm YES! unrestricted autobahns + scooby = fun!

Seriously though, what do I need to take into account when going? What is fuel marked up as, eg how do the germans, french, etc, display Premium unleaded and Super?? (looks like I'll run the darling on super as the company's paying )

Are there any changes that need to be made to the car? what documents should I carry with me??

Anything else I need to know?
Old 27 June 2000, 12:54 AM
NickM
Scooby Regular

I live and work in Holland and always carry my Insurance cert, MOT and Vehicle reg doc in the glovebox. You're also need to have the following:

GB Sticker
headlight deflectors
warning triangle
first aid kit
spare bulbs

I don't bother with the GB sticker, if I get stopped then I'll put it on. I may have missed some things but Halfords will have a leaflet showing what is required for each country. Worth letting the AA/RAC (if you're a member) know as well.

Fuel is clearly marked and Super, in France, Belgium and Holland at least, is 98ron.

I know that if you get caught *really* speeding in Belgium they will take your car off you and in France you get fined according to how much over the limit you are. Take it easy until you get to the Autobahn....

Old 27 June 2000, 12:57 AM
Gaffer
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Markus

No real problems - don't forget a warning triangle (mandatory) and first aid kit (not sure). Take your vehicle docs and insurance cover note (you should notify your insurance co. about use abroad and some still issue a green card so worth checking). If your car is leased you should get a note from the lease co. authorising use outside UK)

I always carry tape to mask the left dip block on the h/lights but don't usually bother taping them - just adjust the lights to a low setting to avoid dazzle.

As to speed limits, some busy sections of a/bahn or on the edges of urban areas are limited to 120kph (80 if raining).
Elswhere, traffic permitting, its foot to the floor and really upset a few beamers

Petrol usually available 91 (don't use!),
95 & 98 Ron

Enjoy your trip

Gaffer
Old 27 June 2000, 01:04 PM
lpro
Scooby Regular

Markus

I recently went to Denmark via Germany. Autobahns are great, but bloody boring after 4+ hrs or so. As for Fuel it's 98 ron-eroony and cheaper than the UK, wwwhhhhhooooo. After looking at my visa bills it works out at approx 27 squids to fill up. All this for a better grade of petrol. Fuel is marked exactley the same as ours. Just look for the
98 Ron. No changes to the car.

no documents are needed once you gone through French customs, no borders, you only know you've gone into another Country when the road names change from an A to E to B. Confusing at first, but netherless good.

Just one word of warning when coming back into holland from Germany, there are heaps of dutch police just after the border. Easy money for them, after going for so long at 100+ yo then have to down to staying within 70 odd. As I said you don't know that you just stepped into holland until it's to late.

Enjoy - just watch out for porkers flashing you from about 2 miles back. You think they are a long way away until suddenly their up your tailpipe before you can say "who does he think he is"
Old 27 June 2000, 01:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

cheers all.

do I really need the warning triangle and first aid kit??? is it something that will get checked if I'm stopped (they'll have to catch me first )

still got to sort out my passport , it's currently expired!
Old 27 June 2000, 01:22 PM
lpro
Scooby Regular

Cool

Naaaahhhh, I can't say I had them. Didn't bother with the GB sticker, lights(driving in daylight). Just the usual bits and peices(spare bulbs). Insurance company said Green Card not applicable any more!!

Whereabout's in Germany you going????
Old 27 June 2000, 01:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think, as details are tbc, it's Münster, gotta do some training of German techies, interesting as the only languages I know are English and Bad English (do you know the film that the quote comes from - I do )

Little worried as I've never driven abroad in my life, and I don't want to kill the scooby!
Old 27 June 2000, 01:37 PM
stephen Mitchell
Scooby Newbie

They drive on the right!
This is important!
Old 27 June 2000, 01:47 PM
stephen Mitchell
Scooby Newbie

I wouldn't try going to Germany in that old black heap!
Old 27 June 2000, 01:52 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Check out
Old 27 June 2000, 02:05 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Dont forget to slow down in France, especialy Calais and fill up with Beer & Wine etc. He He

Have a good trip
Old 27 June 2000, 03:32 PM
StewartW
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I am going to Germany with my Scoob next week.

I am currently working in Frankfurt and my wife is going away for a month so rather than have the car sitting on the drive I'll bring it over for the month.

As for kit you need to take: insurance documents, (I think) reg. docs., warning triangle, bulb kit, first aid kit and I have recently been told, a fire extinguisher from a guy who used to be based in Germany when he was in the army.

Other than that it should be fun. Maxing out on the Autobahns, taking in some mountainous roads through the Alps one weekend. I am also only about 80-100 miles from the Nurburgring so this is a definite trip on the cards

Stew
Old 27 June 2000, 03:46 PM
stephen Mitchell
Scooby Newbie

When I was out there I had my valve caps stolen! Best to remove them and take them with you whenever you leave the car.
Old 27 June 2000, 04:06 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Same happened to me at Le Mans - they pinched the two off-side caps (silver halfords jobbies) presumably because the near side was butt up against a hedge...back to blacks for me till I can save up the £5.99 again, doh!
Old 27 June 2000, 04:07 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry, this posted twice!!

[This message has been edited by Kempo (edited 27-06-2000).]
Old 27 June 2000, 05:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

well, seeing as a git had already nicked my valve caps, I'm now using black plastic ones, so I doubt this would be problem.
Old 27 June 2000, 06:20 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Wink

I wonder if it's possible to get locking valve caps ;-)
Old 28 June 2000, 09:04 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Oi! No!
Old 28 June 2000, 10:00 PM
Andy H
Scooby Regular

Smile

Markus,

Just been to Munich for a week in my Scooby. Autobahns are great fun and generally unrestricted outside built up areas, just watch your speed in the 120kms as police are quite keen in these areas.

98ron fuel is avalible at almost all petrol stations, just make sure it is super plus as 95 ron is marked as super.

German drivers are very disiplined and will move over straight away if you come up behind them fast (except Audi A4 drivers) and if you are motoring and coming up on traffic that is traveling a lot slower up your left indicator on and they keep out of the way.

Andy H
Old 10 July 2000, 02:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

stephen Mitchell:
Just to set the record straight. The 'black heap' made it to and from Germany (via France, Belgium and the Netherlands) back to England with no problems. It was even drinking Super Unleaded!
it even decided to display a rather nice 140mph which I guess really equates to 130mph, which is not too shabby for such an 'old black heap'

BTW - on what grounds do you base your 'old black heap' statement on?
Old 15 July 2000, 01:30 AM
strong
Scooby Regular

According to friend's GPS at 100 mph indicated I'm doing 95 mph and at 120 mph I'm doing 115 mph, all in Germany, of course.

I thought that only certain sections of motorway in Germany were unrestricted. What are the signs to look out for? Are the 130 kmh signs just advisory or for poor weather?

Paul
Old 15 July 2000, 09:36 PM
Andy H
Scooby Regular

Cool

Paul,

On the autobahns i travelled on recently about 50% where unristricted, generally away from towns and citys where you have exits of the autobahn.

The sign to look out for is simular to our national speed limit sign.

Andy H