Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scoobys - massive depreciation. Buy a Rover 75!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2000, 09:21 AM
Tony Ashton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone explain to me what has happened to the market that has effected Subaru residuals so much. Only 12 months ago they were a solid 'investment' with very low depreciation. Now,the second hand prices have dropped through the floor with UK cars losing about 10k in 12 months. I'm trying to get out of mine and into an Leccy IS 200. Both my dealer and myself have rung around for a price on my RB5 to recieve bids varing between 15k &18k. Pretty poor I would say.

I feel sorry for anyone with their leg into a P1, might as well write 10k off it as soon as you leave the showroom.

Is it the imports that have ripped the **** out of the market or the impending arrival of the MY2001?

Anyone else got a residual value horror story, as far as I am concerned I think that in the current climate it would be easier to get rid of AIDS than a used scooby!!!!

Incidentally if there is anyone out there who is interested in my car or has a suitable outlet for it please let me know.
Miracles do happen occasionally!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Tony Ashton (edited 12-07-2000).]
Old 12 July 2000, 09:42 AM
SWOLL
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I would say that Scooby residuals are being hit by a number of things at once.

1) Completely new car in six months time.
2) Becoming far more common.
3) No real waiting list anymore
4) European imports
5) Difficulty keeping one with all the f***g thieves about.

Like all cars of this type the bubble bursts. If you think your unhappy you should speak to a few Boxter owners. I don't think P1 owners should worry too much though. Unless prodrive are already working on a "P2" ;-}

Old 12 July 2000, 09:59 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Add in ridiculous insurance hikes and it's no surprise that I just found 800 Scoobs for sale within 40 miles of me on Auto Trader... Can't be good for residuals having all that competition to sell your car.

Guess the best option is to keep the car

Joolz
Old 12 July 2000, 10:06 AM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I was very very close to buying a new scooby, but was totally put off when I saw that they were being pinched left right and centre.

Getting a 300zx now.........
Old 12 July 2000, 06:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No waiting list and discounts aplenty

Scooby residuals all fallen through

Greys have been hit big time - the petrol in the tank is now as valuable!!

UK std cars are firm - especially unmolested ones .....

Pete
Old 12 July 2000, 09:24 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Where were you a month ago when I paid 23k for my RB5!!

It is a prodrive one and was from a subaru dealer, but looking around, I couldn't find any that were below 22k (just checked auto-trader and still can't!) - how many miles on it?

Of course, you're talking about trading it in to a non subaru dealer and he'll be phoning 'trade' people for a price: as its a special, they'll place a varying value on it.

As always, try and sell the thing privately you'll always get stiffed on a trade in!

Failing that, just keep it - why the IS200?
Old 12 July 2000, 10:07 PM
Kramer
Scooby Regular

Angry

You think you've got it bad ,I bought an Audi TT recently after 3 years of Scoob ownership. Now as much as I like the look of the TT it really isn't for me.
But I've seen the light again and I'm looking for another Scoob preferbly a Type R.
Now just as I'm trying to get a decent price Audi anounce a £3000 price cut on their new TT's every dealer I speak to takes great delight in telling me this

[This message has been edited by Kramer (edited 12-07-2000).]
Old 13 July 2000, 12:31 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was worried enough to scan the Autotrader site, and found that prices seem to almost the same as when I bought my car before Christmas.

Most R-reg UK cars with reasonable mileage are still on offer at around 14K as far as I can see, so the fact that traders can get (probably ex-company cars) cheaper is not that relevant IMHO.

Steve
Old 13 July 2000, 11:13 AM
Tony Ashton
Scooby Regular

In answer to krytens post, its done 8k.I hear what people are saying about trading in against another make but reading various threads about px's against a P1 I'm not under any illusions that I'll get anymore that 17 grand against another Scoob.Dealers are stacked out with used cars. Many are not even interested in giving an underwrite price on any more stock.

I thought that on past records of the UK ltd edition models(Mc Rae, Catal. Terzo) that the RB5 would be a fairly reasonable buy, particularly as I thought it the most attractive of them.

I was speaking to a trader yesterday who had just bought a MY99 (T)reg in DBM with 12k miles for £14,000. I mean , has the world gone mad. I wish I was new in the market and looking for some cheap performance!!

As some of you have said, I think I'll lock the car up in the garage and bring it out in 12 months when the ugly daughter(MY2001) is out and about. People may appreciate the beauty of the old RB then.
Old 13 July 2000, 11:45 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

14K for a 99t with 12 thosand miles sounds bad. But face it, The imported (EU) cars were only 16K new. Puts a proper perspective on used values. Dealer's now have it both ways. They know they can 'buy in' and quote "EU to blame", then flog it and give the UK..warranty etc to the punter. not funny.

Sold my STi though and lost exactly 'Nuffin, nieto, zilch, zip'..Imported myself and knew I'd get me money back. Brilliant
Old 13 July 2000, 12:50 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

The IS was on the shortlist of cars before choosing the scoob. Tasty looking car inside and out, lots of gadgets and stuff, but very very slow. Took one out for a test drive with high hopes but sadly disappointed.

Keep the Scoob!

Andrew
Old 13 July 2000, 01:25 PM
Ryan
Scooby Regular

Kramer, check your e-mail.
Old 13 July 2000, 01:30 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Do not buy MY01's until the price is brought into line with Europe or go and get one from over there. Ignore UK dealers until they stop having their cake and eating it.

Brendan
Old 13 July 2000, 02:34 PM
HUNTY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't buy a 2001 from a uk dealer, wise words Brendan.

My dealer is taking this very fact up with Subaru on the ridiculous situation of being able to make more on a EU sourced car.

I support him fully, if he stops doing UK cars I will buy an import from him.

we should start a support group.

Kevin.
Old 13 July 2000, 03:17 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

This is the point really, if BMW and Audi dealers can import cars from Europe and sell them on cheaper than they can ones that are sourced in the UK then why not Subaru dealers circumventing IM. Seems a good idea.

Brendan
Old 13 July 2000, 05:20 PM
Reidy
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you have a UK car that has not been ponced around with the residual will still be reasonably tight.

I recently got a price for mine from my dealer and it was as I expected.

Paul
Old 13 July 2000, 05:25 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> Don't buy a 2001 from a uk dealer,

Why?

1. you get better residuals, I've heard stories of dealers refusing to take EU sourced cars in part exchange

2. 3 year UK warranty - read back through here for all sorts of horror stories for people who have got a 3rd party 3 year warranty

3. Dealers. I bought my Scoob in the UK, the dealer has done the odd favour for me at no cost, I doubt I would get that if I had imported my car.

Having said all that there is pros and cons for both, you pays your money, you take your choice!

Greg
Old 13 July 2000, 06:29 PM
Denz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I got my new Turbo on sunday i traded in my two month old IS200 its a great car but bores you rigid! Dont bother!!!!

After 4 days of turbo fun i will never go back!!

P.S.
Hi every one im new.
Old 14 July 2000, 12:50 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Denz,

Pronounced in the Teutonic style "dents"?

Could prove prophetic if you're not careful in car parks with the Scoob!

Welcome to the nuthouse!

On the economic front if new car prices drop by 3 grand or whatever, who will pay for the 2nd hand car businesses that go bust when their stocking loans are more than the value of the stock? This will be more important to the government and motor traders than private individuals taking a one-off financial knock.

In terms of residuals, if the replacement price has dropped, which is the cause of it, the ratio of value stays roughly the same, so to me it makes no difference in how much I have to find next time, it just means the finance people win this time. It's no good carping about it they didn't break my arm.

At the moment the new trade are taking the P because they are quoting crap 2nd hand values but continuing to charge top whack for new.

I agree do not buy any new car until they stop trying to have their cake and eating it.

However, also remember life is too short to hang on for the next best deal forever. Somebody will always get a better deal than you.

I like that expression "cars that have not been ponced about with". Please point that out in the next (inevitable) Max Power discussion/tirade.
Old 14 July 2000, 01:38 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

There is no reason why Subaru UK could not offer a 3 year warranty and do a few favours for you whilst still setting prices more in line with the rest of Europe. That is the reason for not purchasing a MY01. I too am very happy with my UK dealer and have a standard UK MY99. However, you should expect and get a high level of service regardless of the price paid and not accept being ripped off from all sides.

It is a very important point that residual values are falling on lots of cars because of the import thing etc.etc. but it has to be realised that dealers in this country can not offer poor part exchanges whilst maintaing full UK list prices.

Brendan