Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Booklet..how to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2004, 10:35 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Service Booklet..how to replace?

Ok u scooby lot, need some help and advice.

Am just about to put my car up for sale (look out for it on the For Sale section very soon) and i have a slight problem.
We had an office fire last year (cant link the thread as now scoobynet has changed i cant find my old thread) and many of you guys will remember it, but our whole office got burnt and melted.
Unfortunately in the fire was loads of my paperwork including my Service Book which was there because my car was up for a service soon.Now the previous owner had it all stamped up to date and so did I, but now i am stuffed so the questions are:

Is it going to be a problem with potential buyers?
Will it impact on the price since the car is past its warrenty?
Will it make a difference as i have all the receipts and paperwork to show every penny spent on the car?
Can i get a replacement Service Book?
Should I phone up every dealer that serviced the car and ask them to supply a copy of the service or not bother?

As you can see i dont want to be dishonest about the situation and i would rather be truthful to the new buyer from the start, i just was interested in your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 02 August 2004, 11:10 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

Get onto IM through your dealer. I have been told repeatedly and often that it is impossible to get a service book, but I was asking about buying one for an EU parallel import, so the situation is different.

I'd get a copy of invoices from the garage, as they'll have records and that'll be just as good as a service book - if not better!
Old 02 August 2004, 12:46 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chiark
Chris,

Get onto IM through your dealer. I have been told repeatedly and often that it is impossible to get a service book, but I was asking about buying one for an EU parallel import, so the situation is different.

I'd get a copy of invoices from the garage, as they'll have records and that'll be just as good as a service book - if not better!
Thanks Chiark
Will look into that option. I was hoping that i do not have to do all that calling but if needs be, then i will do it.

Anyone else have some thought???
Old 02 August 2004, 01:31 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

If its a UK supplied car, just go your local dealer with a note of the chassis number and they WILL supply one for just a few £'s. If the same dealer did most of the servicing, they will stamp it up to and should be able to give you copies of the invoices.
If it's a parallel import from Holland/Belgium they WILL to do the same, but you have to speak to Subaru in that country, UK dealers will not do this for you, you can get e.mail details from Subaru.com. If it's from Malta or Cyprus, its a bit more of a pain, but again they will supply you a replacement book, just requires a little more persistance.
Without doubt you will have more problems selling without the history, however good the car is, the challenge will be getting people to see it, its not gonna sound too good on the phone that all the history is lost. Its a pain, but probably worth a few phone calls or you will end up losing more on the sale. Best of luck.
Old 02 August 2004, 01:40 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Byrn0

Ta mate.That is what i thought.It is a parallel import from Holland, so i am going to start the hard work now, so it will be less of a pain when i come to sell it.
I think i might even contact the previous owner(as he is still on here) and ask his help as well
Chris
Old 02 August 2004, 01:49 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Out of interest what are your service intervals on the dutch import?
Old 02 August 2004, 05:13 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

SwissT - if it helps Subaru Benelux are on 0031 297 330100. I spoke to them about a new book a while ago and it was no problem at all (they then called me back a few days leter to tell me my car actually came from Cyprus - d'oh!)
Service books on EU's seem to have been later to change over to the 12 month/10k schedule, UK's changed from (I think) July 01 reg on, seen later EU supplied cars still with 6 month/7.5k books.
Old 02 August 2004, 05:23 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrynO
SwissT - if it helps Subaru Benelux are on 0031 297 330100. I spoke to them about a new book a while ago and it was no problem at all (they then called me back a few days leter to tell me my car actually came from Cyprus - d'oh!)
Service books on EU's seem to have been later to change over to the 12 month/10k schedule, UK's changed from (I think) July 01 reg on, seen later EU supplied cars still with 6 month/7.5k books.
What a scholar and a gentleman !
thanks for that.will be calling them right away to see where i stand.
will keep you informed as to what happens