Sponsored by:

Servicing European Imports

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2000, 03:46 PM
Sue Allchurch
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have just purchased an Impreza Turbo from Motorpoint which is a European Import. I have now been told by someone that regisered dealers won't even allow me on their forecourt with it, let alone service it for me. Is this true and if it is help!!
Old 10 July 2000, 05:03 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

"someone" is telling you porkies. All UK dealers have been instructed by International Motors in a fax of last year that they should service UK spec cars sourced from Europe. Not doing so would be anti-competetive, and Subaru can't afford to pay a fine of up to 10% of their turnover...

You're supposed to register with IM (International Motors, the UK Subaru franchise holders) before taking it for a service and for warranty work. There's a file on the importingimprezas maillist that tells you how to do this (can't remember the phone no of the top of my head).

Don't worry, be happy. (BTW, some people have reported that the warranty isn't quite as good: failed brake discs aren't being replaced under warranty, but if they go then it's time to move to after market ones...)
Old 10 July 2000, 05:14 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

sue,
after notching up 1000 miles returning from holland with my import, i just phoned my local dealer to book service. i left the car with them the next day and they phoned me at work to ask for the supplying dealer so that they could register the warranty it for me. no problems whatsoever,theyll be glad of the servicing/repair costs theyll get over the next few years

regards
D
Old 10 July 2000, 07:02 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

My local dealer in Manchester have been happy to service my imported car.
Old 10 July 2000, 09:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
telephone number for International Motors is 0121 522 2000

Tony
Old 12 July 2000, 10:43 AM
Sue Allchurch
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sue Allchurch:
<B>I have just purchased an Impreza Turbo from Motorpoint which is a European Import. I have now been told by someone that regisered dealers won't even allow me on their forecourt with it, let alone service it for me. Is this true and if it is help!![/quote]

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I can go away and learn how to drive it now, safe in the knowledge it can be repaired!

Old 12 July 2000, 01:32 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

I just spoke to local dealer to check if they had any problems servicing my imported car. They said they would service it at no extra cost, but they have experienced problems with the fan, cam belts on Dutch cars (I had not prompted them by telling them that I imported from Holland), and that the standard items do not fit, thus making it difficult to get certain parts.

Has anybody else heard of this? It seems unlikely, as the Subaru model number is the same for Dutch cars (C8D EKEM), so why would specs be different?

I don't think they are trying to put me off, as I know of a few people with imports who get serviced there, and say they are very good.

Any thoughts?

Geezer
Old 12 July 2000, 02:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I have been warned that there may be some different parts, and that this is the reason for registering the car with IM: they can do the cross referencing.

I must admit that I find it hard to believe that they'll say, "hang on, this C8D EKEM is going to Holland, change the fan belt"... Still, Subaru are rather famed for changing parts more often than some change underwear, so it could be that UK sourced cars have the same changes but are better understood?

Any dealers out there know what the real story is?

Sue: don't have an accident! That's the best way of avoiding repairs! Enjoy it, it is a superb car
Old 13 July 2000, 05:12 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

That'll be because the phase 2 engines use a different cam belt, not the one in their parts dept. It seems some dealers weren't told when the cars came out (late 1998).

The same applies to all phase 2 engines, UK, EU or Jap spec.