Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silolene Pro-Boost

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2000, 12:28 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use ProBoost because I can get it reasonably cheap but I will say (and I know have said this a few tmes before so sorry if I'm repeating myself) that after noticing a drop in performance with 97RON, I ran the tank right down and filled up with SUL and 1% ProBoost. About 200 meters down the road the engine suddenly ran smoother and following a later ECU reset my peformance levels returned.
Maybe I have just achieved a 1 octane increase and returned to 98RON levels?

Neil.
Old 11 July 2000, 08:43 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Confused by measurements on side of can.

How much of the 1 litre can does anyone put in for a full tank (60litres)

Old 11 July 2000, 10:57 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I can't remember how I worked it out, but for a 1% mix I put in 330ml for every £20 of SUL (I've got an old Silkolene FST bottle with a clear measurement strip on it in case you're wondering).
And yes, I do use it with SUL because my STi doesn't like crappy 97RON!

Neil.
Old 11 July 2000, 11:52 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
the info on the silcolene tin is pretty useless as it gives no scale as to how much the octane rate is being improved.

In the past i have run 1% on the road and 2% on track, to be honest i haven't a clue how much this is increasing the RON of the fuel though as silcolene dont tell you??

Some friends of mine who run a cossie tuning company did some testing with det cans on a 400BHP cossie and found silcolene did nothing to stop the det. They then used some Millers aditive and that eliminated all det. I now use millers on track!

ProBoost gives good flame outs though.
Old 11 July 2000, 01:19 PM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gary

Ya should have asked me matey . . (sigh)

Actually I'm with JF here, I use Millers as well (caused Darren to swear so it must work)

Talk to me nicely & I'll let you have some to try (unless it's the flames you want with that dodgy exhaust system?)

Paul

. . . (or perhaps you've got a case of Silkolene free?)

Old 11 July 2000, 01:47 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

No it wasn't free! (insert smiley with middle finger raised)

Have used Millers, and got a case on order for August, but went to Demon Tweeks yesterday to get some OB for track day next week, and decided to give the Silkolene a try.

I guess putting half the can in a full tank should give the desired effect? Performance and flames

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 11-07-2000).]
Old 11 July 2000, 02:30 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Question

Hello all!

A little bit of help please! Firstly, would the octane booster help a 94 WRX (non sti) and also where can I buy Millers ?!

All tips gratefully received!

Jon.
Old 11 July 2000, 02:51 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jon

Try ARE at Farnham, 01252 711777 they take plastic and delivery is next day. Cheaper than DT too.

Cheers
Andy
Old 11 July 2000, 05:28 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hope this doesn't cause anyone any upset, but seeing as someone has asked, we
Old 11 July 2000, 10:39 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

I think that the percentages referred to on the side of the can indicate the increase in RON. For example, if it says 5ml per litre = 1%, then you would add 300ml to 60 litres of SUL to increase the RON from 97 to 98. Therefore, it follows that to increase the RON to 99 or 100 you would add 0.6 litres and 0.9 litres respectively (the figures I have quoted are just an example, as I haven't got a tin of it to hand).

I certainly hope this is correct, as I recently added a whole tin of it to about 40 litres of SUL in my EVO. It certainly seemed to run more smoothly, but it is difficult to be subjective about these things, when it's so gorblimey fast already!
Old 11 July 2000, 10:41 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Red face

Sorry, meant to say objective. Too much red wine! Eh Matt?!
Old 12 July 2000, 01:51 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Gary

Car feeling slow? I occasionally use Millers if I know I'm going to do a fast driving stint - like just recently in France - just for comfort of mind

Re performance increase - I've never ever noticed one - but then the car would have to be mapped to run higher boost to get the benefit - without the det. Dont see how you would get a performance increase as you have a PPP dont you?

Does a UK car read better fuel going in (higher Octane) and allow the boost to adjust a bit higher for it?

After doing a rolling road with and without 2 cans of Millers - we noticed NO performance improvement (within 10 mins of each other)

I thought Silkolene caused the engine to overheat - according to another post? - plus Millers is much, much cheaper!
Old 12 July 2000, 01:56 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
i am not interested in gaining more power from an aditive, i just want the added protection from det.

I use millers CVL (competition valve lubricant) on track only, its and aid to valve seat recesion on high reving engines aswell as an octane booster.

My head should be fine without using it of course, i just want the added insurance.
Old 12 July 2000, 02:09 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I get my Millers Octane C + from Demon Tweeks - Mail order in bulk.

I used to use proboost, but my STi3 appears to have developed piston slap on no.3, possibly caused by excessive heat which MAY have been down to proboost causing the engine to run too hot.

Take care!

Howie
Old 12 July 2000, 08:20 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

No Steve, car not feeling slow - you are not the only one to have 'played' this year

But PPP was set up to run on 98RON, so for track days/hard driving days I usually put in a bit to make SUL up to 98/99RON. I do notice a difference with Octane booster in since SUL dropped to 97RON - Going to Knockhill next weekend, want to make the most of it.

Silkolene seems to get a good write up, the only overheating I have come across is when a full can has been used, and normally on less than a full tank?? - but please tell me different if this isn't true. Track day is only 10 days away!!!

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 13-07-2000).]
Old 13 July 2000, 10:01 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Gary
Just a response I saw on Octane Boosters on another older post where Silkolene was not particularly rated?

I guess for the track you should be using all the can - as your at a 1point deficit anyway - but suspect PPP is mapped in such a way that there is a large 'safety zone' for poor fuel anyway - after all they would not want tonnes of warranty claims would they?

Have you read a post about the P1 and the way Prodrive cut the boost at about 6000 rpm - resulting in much lower performance than stated! - so that the car can run safely on RON 95?

AP 4 pots should be on by the end of the month - so we can compare braking!

Old 13 July 2000, 02:19 PM
StevieP
Scooby Newbie

Question

Do manganese based lead replacement additives such as Millers damage catalytic convertors or lambda sensors?

Steve