Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tinted windows vs rollerblinds for little un.

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2000, 09:23 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on saturday i picked up a brand new baby boy,today we took our first foray into the town and apart from the scoob being too small! it was roasting inside!
has anyone found darker window tint film keeps cabin cooler,or is it just show,or is there a good roller blind on sale for the side windows? bearing in mind i may still want to lower rear side windows

any thoughts would be appreciated
D
Old 11 July 2000, 10:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Excellent work sir!

I recommend air-con. One of the main reasons we got the scoob in the first place

Then get a sun-screen to keep the direct sunlight out of son & heir's face. I believe it is important to keep the whole sprog cool (in hot weather) not just those bits exposed to direct sunlight. Sprogs have less surface area to sweat & are thus likely to have a higher skin temp, leading to over-heating etc.

BTW - its good being a dad - enjoy
Old 11 July 2000, 10:50 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I went the aircon route, then Betterwar do £3.99 for 2 circular stick on sun shields, best think is they are light, only use one sucker and fold up v small when not needed.

The missus has got roller blinds, and they are too heavy IMHO, they often fall off, or roll up on their own accord!

Greg
Old 11 July 2000, 11:15 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Use the very versitile trunk monkey to hold them up or go to mothercare and buy a stick on one. Blinds are no good and make sure you get the 1 lateral G versions.

Congrats
Old 12 July 2000, 12:36 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

I have air-con on my MY00 and had it on my company Vectra before that. I also tend to switch it on in March & leave it on until October (with the weekly run-up in between). In both cars, there is no measurable difference in fuel consumption whether the air-con is on or off. Driving conditions (traffic or open motorway) and driving style (wuss or loony) are the things that matter with fuel consumption.

As for power consumption, think of the button as a Nitrous injector and switch it off every time you need that extra boost!
Old 12 July 2000, 07:23 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Talking

When we had our second baby we new the time had come to by an STI type R, tinted windows and climate control!
Cheers
Chuckster
Old 12 July 2000, 08:06 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Climate control (or air-con) does work well in cooling the car down, but tinted windows help as well, particularly in keeping the car cool when it is parked, so you don't have to wait a couple of minutes for the car to cool down

Paul
Old 12 July 2000, 10:37 AM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

thanks for your responses guys, i was intending to get a sunroof fitted when i got the car(dutch import)home,but as usual i coulndt be bothered at the time, i would like air con,but am a little concerned about the running cost/power loss.-in anybodies experiance are these VERY noticable?

chuckster and paul, does the tint film scratch at all-i work in a dusty area and find that after a while the glass scores(after using lecky windows a lot)
thanks again
D
btw,i thought i had a big smile the first time i brought the scooby home!!
Old 12 July 2000, 10:47 AM
lpro
Scooby Regular

I had air con installed a few months back. Best 1000 squids spent. Not only does it cool the car down but also helps demist the car etc.

The pooch is also glad of this as well.

As for running costs, I have to say that its nominal. Performance, well I never belt the car when the kids are in with me. When I'm alone well, thats what the windows are for !!
Old 12 July 2000, 10:57 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

I can't answer re scratching, my rear windows don't go up and down.
Here's a link to a company that sells tint :
Old 12 July 2000, 01:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Got rear tints and aircon in the WRX Wagon, keeps things pretty cool, plus the kids can pull faces at people outside and no-one can see them

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but when on boost the air-con compressor is stopped, thus meaning that air-con gets turned off when you start largin' it. This could well explain why I got a little warm when travelling through Germany last week
Old 12 July 2000, 01:26 PM
Richie
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have also been told that the air con switches off when on full boost.
Old 12 July 2000, 01:48 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I kept cool at Snetterton when general outside temp around 30C (trackside don't know but more prob) with aircon full on but I can't remember if it switched on/off as i went around. I was always nice & cool at the end of my session. Will try to remember to check at Silverstone
Old 12 July 2000, 02:20 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

After market window tinting is done with film - the film is softer than glass and will scratch much more easily. It's also about 500 GBP vs about 5 GBP for blinds.
Old 12 July 2000, 02:24 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

I've got climate control on my GTB (and two sunroofs )and does a great job at keeping the car cool - it does switch at over approx 80% of WOT - if you are booting it on a hot day you can feel the temperature increase through the vents as it cuts out.

Fuel consumption doesn't seem affected - its bl**dy awful all the time!!!!!!

Tinted windows haven't scratched at all (and with air con you open them less often anyway)

Paul
Old 12 July 2000, 11:43 PM
RoveR
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I have had the windows tinted in both cars I've owned and because it's on the inside of the window, and I've been careful of finger nails, I can safely say that I've never had any scratches, but it may be worth noting 'cos of the little-un, when they start the old smacking the window trick ) It cost me in the region of £140 quid the last time I went to get them done, I always go to Mr. John Gehraty of AUTOTINT in Gosport, as even though it's along way from sunny Croydon (Or there abouts) I know my windows won't look like an Ad for the AERO chocolate bar, hehehe, this guy is the best - has done cars for the stars and all that, number for him is 01705 525 720 if your interested...

Hope this is of use ;o)