Scooby beaten by a VW?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2000, 09:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

And an Audi!!

Just been reading the August edition of Car magazine. They had a test between a UK spec turbo wagon, an Audi S3 and the new VW Golf 4motion.

Bugger me the Scooby lost! To quote "Also missing was the lightness of the helm and easy steering. The adoption of a speed-sensitive systems seems to have brought an unpleasant gluey sensation. The gearshift action is too long [OK this can be sorted..] and rather gritty - a downside that's accompanied by oversprung pedal actions which are tricky to regulate"

Now this doesn't sound like my car!! Perhaps it's a tribute to Subaru that Audi/VW have had to raise their game so much.

More curious - when you look in the back of the magazine at the GBU section, the Impreza is still described as "an outstanding drivers car which offers effortless pace and thrills" and "bulletproof engineering and build quality too"

Fickle beasts car magazines...

Mind you, when you look at the prices :

Audi S3 £27669, VW £26390 (I know it's good but 26 grand for a Golf??), Impreza £21450

Roll on the MY01!

Chris
Old 10 July 2000, 09:15 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I would'nt worry too much. It's all part and parcel of the media. If you look back on past reviews of the S3 and golf 4motion you'll see the all come below the Impreza.

All it is, is the media knocking an old car(which the impreza is) to boost a new one because as we all know if it's older it's not as good.

Golf 4 motion is too lardy and too slow to worry an Impreza and the S3 is almost 6 grand more. For S3 money we're talking Sti, Evo 6 or nearly new Skyline. All of which will make an S3 look very silly indeed.

It's also a ploy to proclaim the MY01 the best thing ever even if it's not. Media manipulation is all it is, just the like euro and the remote control vacumn cleaner.

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 10-07-2000).]
Old 10 July 2000, 09:17 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Audi S3 is now priced at 24,750. So by the time you add air con to a MY00 theres not much in it.

The 4Motion in std trim inc Climate is 21,950.

Have to say I had an S3 and MY00 on the drive at the same time and prefered the S3. Although the S3 was remaped.

flame suit on.

Jonathan

Old 10 July 2000, 09:20 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Where can I get a remote control vacum cleaner ?

bkar
Old 10 July 2000, 09:39 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify - the prices quoted in my original post were 'as tested' not list - although the S3 is at £27150, according to the article.

The Golf comes in at £21990 - I just trying to work out what they spent five grand on (apart from leather Recaros).

Hope you're right about media manipulation..

Chris
Old 10 July 2000, 09:46 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Audi cut the list price today to 24,750. For that you have Leather Electric Recaro's, Xenon Headlights, Climate and a decent stereo as std above the Scooby. So price wise it is a close call.

Jonathan
Old 10 July 2000, 09:52 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jonathan

I stand corrected if that's the case - can't trust these car magazines...

Ps - I'm not having a go at the S3 - the spec is very good (very classy interior and superb alloys) and at the revised price it does make it a close run thing - I was just surprised at the pounding the Scooby appeared to take.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 10-07-2000).]
Old 11 July 2000, 12:46 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Dave

I agree EVO mag is the best out there. Not sure the STI or EVO boys agree as they rate the P1 as the best real world car you can buy.

The EVO mag test used an RB5 Prodrive though not a std UK car. I went from an RB5 Prodrive to S3 the std UK, and have to say my preference is in that order. Although an Impreza with the Audi's interior is my dream car.

Jonathan
Old 11 July 2000, 08:28 AM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

12+ months ago EVO tested an S3 against an RB5. The RB5 hammered the S3 so badly EVO called it embarrasing and totally outclassed.

EVO is a far better judge/evaluater than the political, arty, conceptual, psychological tripe that CAR has become.
Old 11 July 2000, 12:20 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

I always hark back to the reviews of the original Cosworth Sierra to remember how daft car magazines can be. I can't remember exactly which mag it was, but it was one of the big ones reviewed the original Cossie and described how wonderful it was, how it had no major faults and was top value for money. A few issues later it reviewed the RS500 which it said cured most of the problems of the original car - problems which had not been there when it was reviewed a few issues earlier.

The other one that comes to mind was Autocar's long term test Rover Metro 1.1S which it declared had been very reliable over the twelve months they had had it. The text of the article went on to reveal how it had had to have a new gearbox, clutch and front seats as well as several other smaller bits, but this was all right as they had all been replaced under warranty. Reliable must have a different definition at Autocar.

At the end of the day it's what you think of a car when you drive it that matters most not what the motoring press think of it.

Regards,

tiggers
Old 11 July 2000, 02:42 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree, 'Car' can get up its own ar$e sometimes (and I now read both Car and Evo) - but don't dismiss it completely.
There are some great articles this month (excl the S3/Subaru one ). There's a good interview with Richard Burns and Colin McRae and their lead story on the TVR Speed 6 / F360 is great.

A couple of months back they had Iain Banks describing his first trip in an F1 car - outstanding.

Chris

PS - one other this month in Car - Steve Coogan in a Skyline! - Well worth a read.
Old 11 July 2000, 08:38 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

well seems as if Car mag might be worth buying this month !!

certainly i've never seen an S3 humble a scoob. first saw a comparison over a year ago - autoexpress i think which i've probably still got somewhere !

still audi's are nice motors, been in a 1.8T which aint to bad and my parents had 3 during the 80's and early 90's incl a cracking 80 Sport brand new in '82.

although i couldn't drive it til '86 (yep i am an old ba**ard! )

s3 always struck me as overpriced although a price cut helps a lot given its spec !

i paid 22k for my my00 scoob in may incl metallic paint, sebring bb, air con, tweeters, headlamp & fog light protectors and P1 gold alloys. dealer also installed my pioneer head unit and 12 cd changer.

and i got it in 2½ weeks and i still grin everytime i drive it. went to post a letter the other week (5 mins away) and was out for 45mins !!! other ½ wondered where i'd been

would an s3 make u feel like this ? comments from s3 owners ?

i'm sure i'll buy another scoob - MY01, although i'd consider testing an Evo VI / VII

i think mags are all well and good and provide a gr8 service to car nuts and buyers !! but in the end its what you think about a car once driven and what other people on boards like this reckon.

one v happy scoob owner
Old 11 July 2000, 10:44 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Talking

ChrisL

How did you get Car magazine so early? Do you subscribe?

I have driven a number of fast cars;Jap, French and German. None have had as much character as Scoob or driveability.

I might get a Golf when I am 60 but certainly not while I am alive.

Ed
Old 11 July 2000, 10:58 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ed

Yes I subscribe - normally get the magazine three or four days before it is officially 'published' - which if, you read some of the other threads around at the moment does not appear to be the norm.

In the editorial it says that the August edition will be published on 13 July

Chris
Old 12 July 2000, 07:29 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have read the article now.

I think it paints the Scoob amd Golf as rather different vehicles.

Scoob as more out and out performance drivers car ( and acknowledged fastest )but rather basic and Golf more refined and comfortable beast.

Car also comment that the particular Scoob was a bit knackered - looks like same car (dbm 5 door...KOH number plate) that Autocar tested in there 0-100-0 exercise and also complained about.

I think our tester favoured comfortable cars with lots of high quality plastics and surfaces that go 'thud.' (The Golf has an armrest too and was nice to 'waft along in on the Motorway')

Conversely he does not like tinny cars with cheaper poor interiors.

I bought my scoob for performance, so it is quite basic inside but I don't spend much time thinking about that because I am having so much fun.

Ed
Old 13 July 2000, 01:07 AM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Who wants to drive round in a Golf that looks the same as a 1.6? Ooops, sorry, its does have a luvverly ickle VR6 badge which everybody notices, Im sure.

The Audi is still expensive for what it is - a Golf.