Sponsored by:

Annoying rattle

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2004, 04:44 PM
hally81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying rattle

Iv got a really annoying rattle coming from underneath my scooby, i had a look and i think its coming from the heat shield. how can i sort it out? should i just get it taken off or try welding it???
Old 20 July 2004, 08:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Before you do anything drastic (or expensive) check your brake fluid reservoir. If it's low then the noise you hear is the front brake pad shims. Mine sounds like I've got a wind chime hung off the spoiler at the mo'

If it is this, then it's time for new pads, and a liberal coating of copper grease on the shims. If not, get the welding torch out
Old 20 July 2004, 08:20 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

i had this problem still have to some extent, it was small stones going in through the exhaust.

bloody annoying. but harmless.

jamo
Old 21 July 2004, 09:17 AM
hally81
Scooby Regular

cheers lads, bit embarasing tho when people see ur car coming from a distance n when it get to them it sounds like a bag of spanners!!!
Old 21 July 2004, 10:53 AM
WR1 Bro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hally81
Iv got a really annoying rattle coming from underneath my scooby, i had a look and i think its coming from the heat shield. how can i sort it out? should i just get it taken off or try welding it???
Saw this title and thought you'd met my woman!!
Old 21 July 2004, 11:13 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Hally,

I had this problem last week, and i can see some of the replies haven't entirely helpful

Is the rattle like a metallic vibration sound at certain revs? with mine I got a metallicy vibration / resonation sound at 1500 - 1800 rpm and then worse at 2800 - 3300 rpm.

what you should do is if you can get the front of the car up on ramps or something similar so that you can get underneath and have room to fiddle about. You will need to remove the plastic tray, you should find two bolts center of the car between the front wheel, two towards the front and two at the side and up abit. undo these and slide the tray off. now you can see the bottom of your engine.

at the front of your engine (on the bottom again) you should see the exhaust manifold covered with metal plates which are the heatshields, a follow this round on the drivers side and you should see another one which is more rounded (sorry about the descrip, but you should see it ok, fairly large) these care held on my bolts, give them a good wiggle and see if there is any play (movement). if so you need to try and tighten the bolts but that might be very difficult due to their placement, some on top out of sight etc and a b!tch to get to.

also from the large roundish healshield, check at the back, towards to rear of the car and you should find a pipe again covered with a heatshield, this one will look more like a normal pipe and imediately behind that bit i mentioned a minute ago, check that to make sure it hasn't come loose. If it has or there is abit of play you have two option, 1) take a hammer and chizel to remove it but i personally wouldn't recomend this unless you know what your doing, and 2) get some exhaust repair paste from halfords or somewhere like that and when the engine is slightly wardm, not hot, apply a liberal amount of past around the loose pipe or in a gap to try and stop it from vibrating. will need to leave for 12 - 24 hours to fully harden and it should stop it for you.

The last place you can check is (again underneath) at the back of the engine, check the heatshields on the downpipe and along the exhaust.

Hope this helps.
Old 21 July 2004, 09:02 PM
hally81
Scooby Regular

Ill try that, thanks a lot mate
Old 21 July 2004, 11:51 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the Subaru annoying rattle forum! I've had extra noises since having Prodrive springs fitted (as well as much better handling). I know that's not unique. And, STi brakes are also noisy, I guess its just the nature of the beast!