Sponsored by:

Registration nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2000, 04:04 PM
davidw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

The saga with the registration documents continues.

The supplying dealer tried to register my Scooby in Manchester. I live in West Sussex.

He was told the registration details would need to be posted to my local office in Luton and would forward them for us.

The DLVA say my local office is Brighton!!!!

1 Week later, Manchester do not have the papers and do not know where they sent them. Brighton does not have paper work and never has although they say Wimbledon is my local office.

Wimbledon does not have the paper work but say Brighton is my office.

The details appear to have been lost!!!!

I might need to get all the papers resupplied from the Dutch dealer which will take more time to arrange.

All I want to do is drive the car!
Old 10 July 2000, 04:50 PM
Fee
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Oh Dear - you are in a bit of a pickle.

I suggest that you go and get a nice cool beer and calm down for a while ......!
Old 10 July 2000, 05:23 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

if importing cars is your dealers job then their not doing too well! they should be able to sort out the docs quite quickly from the dutch dealer, but it might be a problem getting the cert of conformity quickly as it comes from japan! it funny you mention the importer sould have registered the car locally to you,i registered mine in glasgow,and got an ayrshire registration no.so they must look at your home address

regards,and i hope ure on the road soon
D
Old 10 July 2000, 06:02 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Angry

Nasty,

I'm waiting for mine to be registered as I type. I was told by the DVLA that the correct office would be the local office of the person who signed the forms (which was my supplier) - I hope your nightmare ends pronto (does anyone know if you can get compensation, as I assume you're paying for insurance already).

Fee (Scooby Regular - that was quick),
I trust that if your other half has simillar problems, you will be more tactful than to tell him to calm down for a while. If my paper-work gets lost, and delays me for a few more weeks, it's going to take more than a beer to calm me down.

Good luck Dave!

[This message has been edited by Triggaaar (edited 10-07-2000).]
Old 10 July 2000, 06:22 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

I dont understand why they are making a meal of it. It is really easy.

I did the whole import thing myself and the registration was the easiest part.

I needed an SVA, which you dont need, but as soon as I got the SVA I raced to the local DVLA office on the same day with forms only partially filled. The person at the desk help me to do the rest.

Next day I got the missus to pick up the tax disk and it was all over, I could legally drive it. Ive got the actually registration papers in the post today (2 weeks later).

PS got a quote for a 3 year warranty (unlimited millage) for my car for £750 - need to read the small print but does it sound good ?

bkar
Old 10 July 2000, 06:31 PM
RobinL
Scooby Newbie

Bkar,

Interested in how you did it all yourself if you've got a few minutes. Do you mind letting me know what you paid for what spec aswell (pls post me an email if you'd rather not publish here).

I partially (with help from a family friend) imported my own Type R STi two years ago and are vaguely aware of the risks and procedures but would be keen to find out from a fellow scooby owner what could be gained by doing it all yourself.

The warranty sounds like a bargain. I didn't bother in the end 'cos there were too many exlusions but the policy I looked at cost nearly £750 for a single year !

Cheers in advance,

Robin.
Old 10 July 2000, 08:06 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Hi RobinL,

I think so far (not including the warranty) but everything else the cars cost me around 18.500. I shall do a breakdown tonite.

Its actually not difficult and I now know ways of minimising the risk too. There are a few does and dont which can really screw things up. But thats on the SVA side of things.

bkar
Old 11 July 2000, 08:34 AM
davidw
Scooby Regular

Cool

The DVLA might not know where my documentation is, but I do!!!!!

It dropped through the letter box this morning

It came direct from Manchester (who didn't have it).

Should pick the car up tomorrow if the boss lets me take the day off.
Old 11 July 2000, 05:06 PM
RobinL
Scooby Newbie

Bkar,

Thanks for the response.

Which model did you get ? - sounds like a bargain on whatever you got. This is good food for thought - it also shows the margin of the dealers.

I'd be interested in knowing all the steps and who you spoke/ organised the Japan end with if you've got the time. It could make my next purchase more affordable.

Thanks for sharing this,

Robin.
Old 11 July 2000, 06:55 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Robin,

I do not have a car - but when I do get one, I believe it will be exactly the same as bkar's - which, incidentally, is a DBM WRX (not sti version) from Cyprus with all the usual wrx bits (climate control etc) and an electric sunroof (which I will never use).

Mine was imported through a company - this is supposed to be less stressful, but I'm a bit irritated this week as it's late arriving - just waiting for the DVLA now.

It cost 19,100, on the road (inc importers cut), with 1 years warranty. No alarm, so add £350.
Old 11 July 2000, 09:39 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Hi Robin,

Yep, Triggaar answered a few of those questions. A DBM WRX bought from Cyprus. Shipping time about 3/4 weeks.

I did the breakdown last night. This isnt mine as mine was little more due to the way I paid for it. But this is what it should be:

CAR = £13,125
VAT+DUTY = £3,609
SHIPPING = £400
SVLA = £165
REGISTRATION = £185 (this includes road tax)
ALARM = £350
3 YEARS WARRANTY = £750

GRAND TOTAL = £18,584

(Forgot to add a fuel neck restrictor £20)
(Forgot to £40 duty on transport)

The only extra expense I can think of is how you pick the car up. But there some tricks to this so it dont cost anything which I wish I used.

The car is a 280Bhp WRX saloon with electric windows (all four), electric mirrors, electric retractable mirrors, climate control (air con where you can set temperature), CD/TAPE/Radio (not radio limited frequency range), rear windscreen wiper, electric sunroof.

The car is de-limited with MPH speedo. Rear break light needs adding (and removing after SVA )

As its a Japanese car you need to pay VAT and 10% duty on the cost of the car. Total 27.5% which is why the VAT+DUTY is so high. You pay duty on the shipping too!

You can ring the dealer direct to see what he has and how much. Speak to Stelios on 00357-4-635272 and say you got the info from me (Fabrice). (Cyprus Subaru is
Old 11 July 2000, 10:01 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Hi Robin,

Forgot to say, this represents a saving of around 1k (maybe even 2k with a few bit more work) over using a dealer like Triggaaar's but there is some organising and can get stressful.

The dealer route isnt hastle free I dont think (judging from Triggaaarrs) post but it is obviously easier.

I could have bought one (a WRX) from a local garage for £22k and driven it off there and then. Frankly I would have paid the money except I didnt realise until I had already ordered my car .... doohhhhh.

As you've done it before you probably wouldnt be phased by it. I was even though there really isnt much to it once you know how.

bkar
Old 12 July 2000, 02:11 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Question

bkar,

You'd have paid £2,500 more to save the hassle? Where's the spirit in that? You've got far too much money - send it over, this bb has opened my mind to modifying cars.

Triggaaar