Notices

Registration Plates - Beware !!

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2000, 07:35 PM
stv555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

An application has been made to alter the legislation that governs registration marks and plates.

Presently, there is no reference to typeface or font, just sizes of letters and a pattern for the acceptable shape of letters plus spacing.

The changes include a reference to the permissible font. Thus all plates having dodgy lettering will become targets for the Police and DoT.

Unfortunately this will also bring the question of letter spacings under scrutiny (even if using the correct font). With the current fine for a successful prosecution starting at £1000 and confiscation of the mark, the incentives for revenue generation are getting greater.

Bear in mind that a registration mark is effectively given to you on "loan", regardless of whether the DVLA issued you the number or you bought it from the DVLA, a dealer or private sale, there is no right of ownership.

Additionally, the European Parliament is increasing the pressure for all members to adopt a Euro plate (three pairs of characters/digits with a separate two digit year identifier)which is even more incentive for us with special plates to hang on to them.
Old 08 January 2000, 07:54 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just to to add to 'STV555's comments.
Traffic wardens now have the powers to give out fixed penaltys for number plate offences(spacing,letter fonts etc), so be carefull!!
..JAMES
Old 08 January 2000, 07:59 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]
Old 08 January 2000, 09:30 PM
S600BYY
Scooby Regular

the reason for this impending doom is not a revenue generator but a clever ploy,the new digital speed cameras are going to do all the work including sending out the tickets and in order to do this the number plate spacing has to be spot on for them to recognise a specific reg,so by bringing in this "new" law they not only get their £1000 but can catch you for speeding as well.
Old 08 January 2000, 11:21 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Smile

MTR

I found this on a web site (can't remember where). I can't vouch for its accuracy.

The law sets stringent specifications for the display of registration marks: the construction and size of characters, the gaps between them and the margins around them (which therefore affect the overall size of the plate). For full details, you should refer to Schedule 2 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 1971 as amended, which applies to motorcycles, and Regulation 17 and Schedule 2 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 1971 (as amended), which applies to cars: available in your local library.

Visibility: In normal daylight, registration characters must be easily legible at 60ft for motorcycles & 75ft for cars.

Colour and Shape: The registration mark shall be formed of clearly distinguishable black letters and figures upon a yellow, rectangular background, constructed of reflex reflecting material conforming to BS AU 145a.

CARS: The mark must conform with either one of two groups of provisions - the second group is given in brackets here. Characters 3.5 inches (3.125 inches) high, 2.5 inches (2.25 inches) wide, with a stroke width of 0.625 inches (0.5625 inches). Top and bottom margins must be at least 0.5 inches (0.4375 inches). Side margins must be at least 1 inch (0.4375 inches). The space between the nearest parts of each letter or figure must be 0.5 inches (0.4375 inches). The space between the group of letters and group of figures must be 1.5 inches (1.3125 inches). If the plate displays the marks in two separate rows, then the space between the upper and lower lines must be 0.75 inches (0.75 inches). Different rules apply to vehicles registered before 1973 and for embossed plates, which are not covered here.

The essence of the law is therefore defined by the characters, their quantity and their positioning - not the size of the plate. Providing a legal lettering style is selected, with them correctly positioned, the legal minimum size of plate for a normal seven digit registration mark is 7.5 (W) x 6.5 (H) inches. Six or less digits, or the figure 1 (for example) will reduce the overall legal width of the plate only.

Old 08 January 2000, 11:42 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]
Old 08 January 2000, 11:56 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Good luck with Halfords!
When I went in they didn't have a clue. Not really a surprise.
I'm going to check out the regulations at the local library when I'm next in town.

Europlate
Old 09 January 2000, 05:50 PM
PEELY
Scooby Regular

Just a qick note
I have dealt with a firm in Blackburn, called AUTOREG who supply any size number plate you require. I have had several of them for various motorbikes that I've owned and they seem to be very reasonable and good quality. They also seem to know what they are talking about, and supply a lot of plates for odd shaped imported cars by mail order. You can call them on 01254 663213. Cheers
Old 10 January 2000, 10:02 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

If I remember correctly, someone sued over the fact they had an accident from being blinded by a camera facing the driver. Don't know the outcome.

Dan
Old 10 January 2000, 12:10 PM
stv555
Scooby Regular

Talking

As ou can see from Doc's note, although appearing complicated the present legislation is open to interpretation. Having a larger plate than specified is unlikely to draw attention its the lettering that is scrutinised.

S600BYY is quite correct about the digital cameras....previously it was the rear plate that was the ball breaker, front plates were to all intents and purposes not an issue, it was the GATSOs photographing you as you sped away that was important. Hence the increase in the use of the small motorcycle plates on the back of cars. Now they are intending on using forward facing GATSOs linked to digital cameras which are rumoured to be able to image the driver.

There have been many cases including myself where I have beaten a GATSO prosecution because the driver of my vehicle could not be identified. This the reason why the type face and sizing is currently under review.

I would guess that you would be unlikely to fall prey if your lettering was correct but your plate was undersized.

Any plate that is manufactured and does not comply with the legislation normally carries a sticker on the back, which the supplier attaches, stating that the plate is not meant for road-use.This gets them around The Sale of Goods Act in case you get stopped.