Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chassis number and reg don't match..???

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2004, 05:26 PM
eXtreme
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chassis number and reg don't match..???

Hi everyone...just registered and thought that one of you or more !!!! may be able to HELP...?

About to buy a jap import WRX from a garage in Bradford. Have paid a deposit and took some details....eg chassis number.
I contacted Graham Goode asking what possible mods they could do to the car and supplied them with the chassis number.... got a message back saying the jap database was showing the car as manufactured 1993....urrrmmm...

problem is the car has an N reg plate... so obviously 1995/1996 age related...so what happened to the other 2 yrs ??

ok guys and gals...what do you reckon...dodgy motor...walk away..get my money back....???? or normal procedure when car is imported some paperwork gets lost along the way.....
Old 17 July 2004, 05:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out www.sidc.co.uk and look under faq's, this has a list of chassis numbers for the years (just the first 8 characters but it will indicate the model/year).
Otherwise it sounds dodgy and best left alone

Tony
Old 17 July 2004, 05:40 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

i hope it is not from car galaxy. as i have the baliffs after them
Old 17 July 2004, 05:54 PM
eXtreme
Scooby Newbie

Really appreciate your help guys

it is from car galaxy..... just gone VERY pale... ...tell me more...or if you prefer send it via email..
Old 17 July 2004, 05:57 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Don't wait about for donutman's reply. Get down there and get your deposit back!!
Old 17 July 2004, 06:56 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

not bothered about keeping it quite.

i bought a my99 impreza from them with full warranty. 11 days later it has gone bang and the engine was knackered. i rang them up (a guy called george (a bald asain guy) (is he still there?)) and told them the problem, there response was not thre problem. after i had explained that they had sold it with a warranty and i wanted it fixed, i was again told it was not there problem. i then contacted trading standards etc and rang them back and told them what i had done, and they reluctantly agreed to pick the car up and have it looked at. they took it to a engine place in oldham (which i later found out to be next door to another family members garage). i was told that i had run the car on the wrong fuel (unmodded uk wagon) and if i wanted to speak with them again i would have to do it through my solicitor. i then had to collect the car my self and get it back home. i had the car inspected by a indepent agent who found that it had been hammered to within a inch of its life (clutch had hotspots on it and was worn out flywheel had been fractured, hole in piston4, and the turbo was damaged by flying metal. they refused to answer any mail from my solictor or the court. i won the case and it was time for the baliffs.i had got the guys home address his work address, guess what he moved,both home and business. i got his new work address from there website but have not managed to track down gerogie yet.

all of the above is based on my own experience,please make up your own mind. (but in my opinion do not buy a car from these guys) but do let me know if gerogie is around

cheers
Old 17 July 2004, 07:03 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

If you want my opinion get your money back asap and buy one off the boards here as *generally* the cars are better looked after and the pricing is better. If you can get 6K there is a very nice car in the for sale section, just as an example.
Old 18 July 2004, 09:49 AM
wideybrook
Scooby Regular

If you want a second opinion post the chassis number and model code.

Lee.

Last edited by wideybrook; 15 March 2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 18 July 2004, 03:51 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

walk away.. even if you do get it and it is legit, i bet it wont be in as good nick as some of the ones advertized on here... it would play on your mind for ever now you have heard their past ..try to get the money back if not take it on the chin and walk away..

andy
Old 18 July 2004, 04:00 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
walk away.. even if you do get it and it is legit, i bet it wont be in as good nick as some of the ones advertized on here... it would play on your mind for ever now you have heard their past ..try to get the money back if not take it on the chin and walk away..

andy

completely agree, as soon as you hand over the rest of your cash you will be wondering what else isnt right? Its not worth it, get your money back if you can, otherwise put it down to experience and start to look again.

good luck
Old 18 July 2004, 04:30 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

I looked at an EVO V at BOC in bolton.

The VIN plate had been removed and a hand made plate had been rivited over where the number was stamped into the body. I got all the "Oh, its legit, look at the V5, it all matches" crap. Talked to the DVLA and they were unhelpful and could not track it.

If you are suspicious, walk away, its the safest thing to do, you don't want the police to take the car off you with no comeback.
Old 18 July 2004, 05:02 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

If they were advertising the car as a 95 when its a 93 you may be able to get your deposit back based on false advertising but the manufactured date and registered date are sometimes different. i.e a few classics on a 51 plate.

Based on the comments on here you are probably best walking..Buy on here the owners are enthusiasts and pamper their cars.
Old 18 July 2004, 06:01 PM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

these guys are completely right!! dont even think twice, all u have to do is look at donutman! thats scandless! id walk away even if they wont give ur dipper back!
Old 18 July 2004, 06:16 PM
neil@wrx
Scooby Regular

not listed gc8 11462
GC8 A 48D 92/93 WRX
GC8 B 47D 93/94 WRX
GC8 C ??D 94/95
Old 18 July 2004, 06:33 PM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

Even if you lost your deposit and walked away, losing £500 could be cheaper than the engine going pop or other faults, and the garage not honouring anything.

Sounds like you could lose a lot more than £500!!
Old 18 July 2004, 07:11 PM
Rally
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham during week, Leeds at Weekends and 5ive-o.org at night

I think GC8-011462 is the chassis number not the model / version number.

Mine has chassis number GC8-030966 and mine was first registered in Japan in June 1995 according to the de-registration paperwork that came with the car.

My model number is GC8C48D, and the clicky posted further up the thread says that code is WRX 4 door Sept 1994 - August 1996 which is correct.

As has been said previously, there is doubt over the company so I would walk away or maybe take out additional warranty cover yourself if you really want this car, I think you can buy this off internet from the big car warranty companies. A quick search on google came up with this:
Japanese used and new car imports
We can offer warranties of Japanese imports as long as they have a UK equivalent model for more information please call our consultants on 0800 731 7001 or send an email to: japimports@warrantydirect.co.uk
Old 18 July 2004, 07:59 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

agree with the rest of them walk away and try and get your deposit back! sounds a completely dodgy company!

Also in agreement lots of cars for sale on this board and knowing the people i know on here they will be well looked after this is definately your best bet!
Good luck
Tams
Old 18 July 2004, 10:43 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If the car is registered on the V5 as being manufactured in 1993, it must have a 1993 or older registration plate!! This is regardless of when the car was imported into the UK.

You cannot have a reg no from a younger car - even if it's a 'private' plate.

PS, you may want to remove chasis numbers from this thread...

Last edited by DaveD; 18 July 2004 at 10:45 PM.
Old 23 July 2004, 06:47 PM
eXtreme
Scooby Newbie

Amazing site this cos not only have around 600+ of you guys and gals read this post but also so many of you have actually replied with some really good advice.
Really appreciate that.

Things moved on since I last posted cos decided it would be prudent to have a second opinion on the car and paid for an independent AA inspection. Not cheap and probably not specifically experts on scooby's, however news verbally is NOT good. Awaiting to see actual report but will need to take appropriate steps....

Happy driving and posting.......
Old 23 July 2004, 07:01 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by eXtreme

Things moved on since I last posted cos decided it would be prudent to have a second opinion on the car and paid for an independent AA inspection. Not cheap and probably not specifically experts on scooby's, however news verbally is NOT good. Awaiting to see actual report but will need to take appropriate steps....

Happy driving and posting.......
Why have you bothered with a independant AA inspection ur throwing money away now, walk away, leave it, but report it to trading stds and let them investigate.

There are loads of people on here selling GENUINE scoobs with folders full of receipts for work done and mods carried out, call a few and you may well get urself a mint motor, cheaper than those robbers will charge u

I got mine from a fellow SN'er last August (WOW nearly a yr of scooby ownership ) with a folder full of receipts and extra's.
Old 23 July 2004, 07:21 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

It'll be easier to get his deposit back if there's been an AA inspection.
Old 23 July 2004, 08:19 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
It'll be easier to get his deposit back if there's been an AA inspection.

Lol
Old 13 August 2004, 02:32 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Was gona buy a skyline GTS-T in lack from Car Galaxy n the guy kept tellin me it is Tommy Kaira Tuned bladibla, i paid deposit n then contacted TK Japan to find out how a genuine TK tuned car shows identity. Told me that under the bonnet it has plates bolted in and also on ever TK part fitted. Found out that the only TK identity was a cheapy sticker on the back of the car. Told him to gimme ma money back n he tells me its a deposit n deposits arent given back.

So i didnt argue, just went straight home got loads of guys down (cos i knew where he was from since he grew up with many of me cousins and brothers mates etc). One we at his place, told him, "now can i have my deposit back" LOL he simply pulled a wad of money out of his petty cash box.

U do have to remember hes got a rep for himself in all the wrong things possible so do deal with him through someone that knows him as i did

Cheers,

P.S hes moved business from bottom of Hollings Rd to a industrial type area off Ingleby road, hope it helps
Old 13 August 2004, 02:36 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Erm sounds like these incidents should be reported to trading standards.

If you do have a complaint, register it with TS, as they do occasionally do something if enough people have been affected.
Old 13 August 2004, 02:51 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

sounds like a total pirate.

walk away mate - it's not worth the hassel - you've probably been after a scoob for ages (if you were like me) and have the thing go wrong shortly after getting it will ruin your whole enjoyment of it.

Dubious / Hidden history + Appalling Service = Nightmare.
Old 13 August 2004, 03:29 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This guy sounds like a total w&nker

So Extreme what happened in the end?