Hit and run parking

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2004, 04:59 PM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hit and run parking

I don't believe it!!

I gave my car a damn good clean the other day, it looked the business I was going to take some pics all of you.
But about 10 minutes afterwards my partner and myself witnessed someone trying to park in front of me in a space that was a foot too small for his huge Jeep. They was very persistant backing twice into my car before deciding to drive away
They drove further up the road and parked in another spot. I had a look and there was a nice big fresh paint chip in the front of the car. I ran over to were they parked and jotted the details of the car down. I would have given it a light kick, but there was a kid sitting in the car. I waited for a while, but no one returned and I had other things I needed to do.
What now??
Is there anything I can do?
Do I have any chance to claim off of them or will it be one persons word against mine and a long struggle for a chip repair.
I just can't afford to get it repaired at the moment and it annoys me that people just don't care.
Any similar experiences??
Old 12 July 2004, 05:35 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

How bad is this? Shows how responsible they are leaving their kid in the car.

Had very similar thing in Sainsburys car park but managed to speak to the guy (who I watched) let his trolley run in to my car. His attitude? You expect this type of thing to happen in Supermarket car parks. To cut a long story short verbal argument commences and I stick my boot in his drivers door.

Now I admit it's not the way I like to do things. That said we soon started to get somewhere. The look on his face was a picture but in hindsight it could have led to a full scale brawl and I realise i should have controlled my temper a bit better and it was something that I wasn't proud of.

Temper aside I'm an approachable guy and pride myself on being fair. In fact I can be a bit too nice. I know if this guy would have been all apologetic and offered to sort it out I'd have probably of said forget it. Buts its peoples attitudes that immediately rub me up, like they have some god given right in life.

Luckily despite police involvement we sorted our own cars out (similar prices for dent removal) and learned from the experience.......next time smash every pane of glass. No I'm only joking. I just hope the guy learns to have consideration for others.

I'm sorry for your car mate but trust me I'd have sat there for as long as it took.
Old 12 July 2004, 10:07 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Take it on the chin mate, happened to me in my landrover, woman parked close and kicked her door open onto mine, she didnt realise i was having a snooze whilst waiting for the mrs to finish shopping (hate shopping), she walked off so i then inspected the damage which was a small dent.

I then decided "have a taste of your own" and flug open the heavy landrover door which really thumped hers good and proper with a juicy dent, fair cop if you ask me as the chances of getting her to pay up were probably nil.

andy
Old 12 July 2004, 10:11 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Carry a disposable camera in your car in future and take pictures. Take it further with her or if no joy her Insurance. Females are safe drivers...so cheaper Insurance..yeah right!!!
Old 12 July 2004, 10:47 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't wait until the culprit left the scene before checking for damage.

You might accept that there is a risk of your car getting damaged when it's in a public place, but that doesn't make it 'alright'. Too many times I have found my car damaged when I come back to it - I wouldn't pass up the opportunity for redress if I actually caught someone doing it!

If you let them walk away without having spoken to them then I doubt you'll have any joy getting them (or their insurance) to pay for the damage.
Old 13 July 2004, 05:54 AM
ukjesters
Scooby Regular

Contact the police seeing how you have the vehicles' details, and so in theory should be traceable.
Then you and your partner fill in a quick little statement on an accident report form. The owner of the vehicle is required to say who was driving at that time of an accident and get their account of the incident. It may well be that driving such a big jeep they didnt realize any contact had been made and may well pay for the damage "quibble" free.

Thats what i would do.

Good luck
Old 13 July 2004, 12:00 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
Take it on the chin mate, happened to me in my landrover, woman parked close and kicked her door open onto mine, she didnt realise i was having a snooze whilst waiting for the mrs to finish shopping (hate shopping), she walked off so i then inspected the damage which was a small dent.

I then decided "have a taste of your own" and flug open the heavy landrover door which really thumped hers good and proper with a juicy dent, fair cop if you ask me as the chances of getting her to pay up were probably nil.

andy
Superb Andy,

Now I know why people drive Land Rovers - deserve all they get!!

People just don't give a fCKUK!!

Brian

Trending Topics

Old 13 July 2004, 12:09 PM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

Contact the police seeing how you have the vehicles' details, and so in theory should be traceable.
Then you and your partner fill in a quick little statement on an accident report form. The owner of the vehicle is required to say who was driving at that time of an accident and get their account of the incident. It may well be that driving such a big jeep they didnt realize any contact had been made and may well pay for the damage "quibble" free.

Thats what i would do.

Good luck
Would the police not reply with their automated response "sorry there's nothing we can do" ??
Old 13 July 2004, 12:11 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Dont take it on the chin at all. Get down Police Stn hit and run is an offence last guy i reported got 5 points and £250 fine. We have just had another incident and reported that as well. I for one am getting sick of these pratts take action NOW.
Old 13 July 2004, 12:21 PM
JonathanC
Scooby Regular

Get to the police now as you have 24hours to report the accident. If you don't do it in that timeframe you severly reduce your chances of the police doing anything. And don't accept the "nothing we can do" response, in theory the jeep driver failed to stop at the scene of an accident which is an offence so they can do something.

The problem with not reporting it is that nothing will then be done and this pratt won't learn their lesson. Even if you don't get them to pay for the damage it might make them think about how they treat other people.

Failing that, next time you see them let all their tyres down!
Old 13 July 2004, 12:36 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

I know exactly how you feel!

When I got back to my car in the car park at Silverstone after the GP on Sunday the **** who had parked next to me had obviously been carelees and left a paint chip on the offside rear door of my car

and its only 3 weeks old!
Old 13 July 2004, 12:59 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

This is exactly the reason why when possible i take up 2 spaces - it might **** a few people off for a minute or two but that is nothing compared to how pissed off i would be coming back to find dents all of the beast
Old 13 July 2004, 03:04 PM
LiamWR1
Scooby Regular

Yep.... me too, I ALWAYS take a couple of spaces
Old 13 July 2004, 03:10 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Me to, always take two spaces, too many people could not give a **** about are pride and joy's, so I no longer care about them either. Most important at B&Q and Tesco's