How do I make my Impreza last a long time

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2004, 11:50 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How do I make my Impreza last a long time

Hello all,

I am running a 2003 WRX with minimal mods to the engine (exhaust and STI filter) and has all its cats. It is sitting at 14500 miles, is 13 months old and has been serviced twice by Subaru, oil changed twice in between and is shortly going in for its 20,000 miles service 4,000 miles early and had it's first year body service today. Always run on OPTIMAX and never thrashed from cold, on returning it's driven for 2 miles sub 30MPH gently to my house, idles for at least 1 minute after the gentle drive before being switched off etc.

What else can I do to make sure it really goes a long way without any major trouble.

Specifically what is the best way to warm up and cool down the car - is there a good procedure??!

Any advice would be great,

Thanks,

Brian
Old 10 July 2004, 12:25 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Brian
Because we own mass produced cars, they have a huge tolerance margin, in other words, there is nothing uniquely different about driving an Impreza from cold than, say, a Vectra or BMW or Ford! With all cars, you drive gently until it has reached NORMAL oprating temperature, (the temp needle will be somewhere near the middle) on my MY03 WRX its a little below the centre. Removing a cat will not shorten the lifespan of your car. Specifically the way to warm up and cool down the car is exactly what your already doing! You could of course not drive it at all, then it would definitely last many many years! Hope this helps!

I am running a 2003 WRX with minimal mods to the engine (exhaust and STI filter) and has all its cats. It is sitting at 14500 miles, is 13 months old and has been serviced twice by Subaru, oil changed twice in between and is shortly going in for its 20,000 miles service 4,000 miles early and had it's first year body service today. Always run on OPTIMAX and never thrashed from cold, on returning it's driven for 2 miles sub 30MPH gently to my house, idles for at least 1 minute after the gentle drive before being switched off etc.

What else can I do to make sure it really goes a long way without any major trouble.

Specifically what is the best way to warm up and cool down the car - is there a good procedure??!

Thanks,

Brian [/QUOTE]
Old 10 July 2004, 12:41 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

How many years are you planning to keep the car?
if it less than 4 years get off your arss and enjoy it.
Im starting to enjoy the car more as I have a little bit more understanding of the handling.
Old 10 July 2004, 12:45 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Thanks - I do that too - that's why I need to look after it!!!
Old 10 July 2004, 12:47 AM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Brian stop worrying mate?

In my experiences and others i know, change your oil as regular as possible. Drive the thing and hope for the best. Its the same as life itself. You abuse yourself you run the risk of dying early, and on the other hand, many abuse there bodies from day to day and live to a ripe old age. I see it everyday of the week, young guys in there thirtys lived a hard life, curtains, then i see the guys at 45, clean living, loads of exersice, pop there clogs. 70 year olds smoked and drank all there days and still going strong?

Its all a game mate, ye take yer chances and make your choices. You could run your scoob as the book says, and still have an early engine failure due to unforseen circumstances, or do what a big percentage of the country does and run the car as your bought it, dont lift the bonnet, just fill it with petrol, and 80k later it begins to blow blue smoke, hassle free motoring for 80k. lol

Paul.
Old 10 July 2004, 12:47 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Exactly what you are doing

Treat it with respect and it will go on for miles and miles.

The main concerns are to make sure the oil is nice and warm (fluid) before starting to push things, and the usual procedures for cooling down a turbo. Keep an eye on your MAF sensor, if concerned a Knocklink, boost gauge, and AFR meter are worthwhile investments for keeping an eye on your engines health.

Mods come with associated risks but keep it sensible and all will be okay. As mentioned everthing is over specified, so light modification is fine.

Enjoy
Old 10 July 2004, 12:51 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

I am not worrying about it - only after some tips to see if there are any "revelations".

Alway look after cars well so not a problem.

Brian

Trending Topics

Old 10 July 2004, 12:57 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

In all honesty it's pot luck, as with any other car. Also the way you drive, it does not mean drive it hard fast or slow,

More so being driving it sympathetically understanding what puts more stress on this or that. Such as labouring - wears bigs ends, as does "nearly" stalling. High revs is not a problem, unless sustained and done very regulary, hard on and off acelarator/boost - keep it smooth. Clutch - know that it is never meant to be allowed to slip for longer than 5 seconds, much longer it wears and overheats. Gears, know that the clutch must be to the floor before you even take it out of the gear, matching revs to what it will be in the next gear helps.

I could go on and on about mechanical sympathy.

Servicing, know that the oils that Subaru dealers use aren't the most ideal for hard use, they are ok for normal driving, but that's it. Also be aware that there is an issue with engine going "pop" shortly after servicing, why? debatable. Filling up oil filters and cranking until there is oil pressure is one preventative measures used on older models.

And finally, know and feel for problems with engine running, if it's not running right don't "blast it". You can do more harm than good, there were days when giving it a blast helped with misfires. But in these day of lean burn engines its very rare that this is the case, unless you drive less than 10 miles everyday without going above 40mph!

That's my comandments over and done with
Old 10 July 2004, 03:20 AM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

'How do I make my Impreza last a long time'

What a stupid question!!!! Just fecking drive it and get a life!!
Old 10 July 2004, 07:59 AM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

on the subject of warming the car up to warm it up properly you should really wait until the oil is up to temperature and you would be surprised how far be hind the oil temp is compared to the water temp.
Old 10 July 2004, 08:25 AM
briggo
Scooby Regular

I will tell you the best thing to do to know your car is going to last a long time,drive it within the speed limit at all times,then when you are thinking of selling it give me a call and I will happily buy it off you,and give it the thrashing it so deserves,I will tell you to give me a ring,and tell you how much I am looking after it,at regular intervals,and I will tell you " oh yes looking after her",there you go,the motor will last for ever,these cars,are like old slippers,even with holes in the toes,they still do the job,it will last for ever,it was made in japan,bullet proof motor m8 drive it and enjoy, bits will brake but you can buy new ones,the scoob deserves to be driven,not wet nursed,think scoob think Colin Mcrea did he drive at 10 to 2,flat cap and wood bine,no,no,no,
Old 10 July 2004, 11:42 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

Please can I assure you that the car is NOT wet nursed and is driven the way it should be.

Just wanted see if anyone had any tips to help it put up with the abuse!!!!

Brian
Old 10 July 2004, 01:28 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prince Popeye
What a stupid question!!!!
But outdone by an even stupider answer.
Old 10 July 2004, 06:14 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxmania
Hello all,

Thanks,

Brian
As far as I can see, the only thing you could do, that you currently aren't doing to prolong the car's life is...............

Cryogenically freeze it!

Relax man, just drive it and enjoy it!!!!!
Old 11 July 2004, 02:10 AM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your taking measures like me and others on here by treating your car with respect.

As long as you continue to do so and get regular services and the car checked over it should last you a long time buddy!

Enjoy!!
Old 11 July 2004, 02:31 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Thanks DJ Watts,

A sensible answer. All I wanted to know.

PLEASE NOTE EVERYONE ELSE: I DO NOT TREAT THE CAR LIKE A CHINA DOLL - IT IS DRIVEN!!!!!

Brian.