Sponsored by:

MY98 uk turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2004, 01:17 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MY98 uk turbo

I am thinking about letting my turbo classic go due to the amount of motorway driving I have been doing. She now has 112k on the clock and it will increase dramatically over the next 12 months.

I understand that any sales needs to go on For Sale section, but before I actually bite the bullet and subscribe, is £7k too much too ask?

She has A/C , white dials,FSH, multi CD etc with a few stone chips but other than that good condition.

Is this a good price?

Comments and feedback appreciated.
Old 06 July 2004, 01:22 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

when I bought mine at the start of the year (my99 for a steal of a price ) i looked at a few my98's all with about 60k miles and going for around £7500 in february.

I think the mileage could be the killer for you mate, it's that psychological 100 thousand barier

just my thoughts anyway

James
Old 06 July 2004, 01:27 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I understand that any sales needs to go on For Sale section, but before I actually bite the bullet and subscribe, is £7k too much too ask?
I sold my MY99 for £7,000 in February with 103,000 on the clock, with a brand new engine (short block) and gearbox with FSSH and it was in very good condition and relatively standard ...

I had zero interest at £8k (apart from plenty of timewasters, unfortunately from here on Scoobynet ) so i wish you the best of luck with your sale .
Old 06 July 2004, 01:30 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
I sold my MY99 for £7,000 in February with 103,000 on the clock, with a brand new engine (short block) and gearbox with FSSH and it was in very good condition and relatively standard ...

I had zero interest at £8k (apart from plenty of timewasters, unfortunately from here on Scoobynet ) so i wish you the best of luck with your sale .
Looks like I may have to drop to £6.5k then maybe even £6k!. D'OH!

That is a steal as she runs fine- £6k for a car that is soooo much fun to drive, might just keep her.
Old 06 July 2004, 01:47 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Default High mileage

Originally Posted by ScoobyPugh
Looks like I may have to drop to £6.5k then maybe even £6k!. D'OH!

That is a steal as she runs fine- £6k for a car that is soooo much fun to drive, might just keep her.
Has anybody else on here got a high miler?
Old 06 July 2004, 05:19 PM
On-The-Wagon
Scooby Regular

Smile

Has anybody else on here got a high miler?
Yes my MY97 UK wagon has 118k and is having a new short engine fitted as we speak (thanks Scoobyclinic!). Bought modded in Feb 2003 for £7500 at 98k miles.

HTH

Ian
Old 06 July 2004, 05:20 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Pugh

It's a buyer's market and mileage is one of the key items (other than condition and history) to compare cars with. If you can afford to keep it, it's not going to make that much difference if it has 112 or 132k on it now. OR you move on and get what the market dictates now - just make sure that the deal on your next car is a good one !
Old 07 July 2004, 01:53 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Flat 4x4
Pugh

It's a buyer's market and mileage is one of the key items (other than condition and history) to compare cars with. If you can afford to keep it, it's not going to make that much difference if it has 112 or 132k on it now. OR you move on and get what the market dictates now - just make sure that the deal on your next car is a good one !
Thanks for the advice flat. I am not jumping ship, I was actually toying with the idea of selling her and getting a new WRX. This way I could have 3 years motoring and still only have 60k on the clock.

Or should I get a 2nd hand WRX 03/04 plate low mileage and skip the initial depreciation? Decisions decisions. What are 2nd hand new shape WRX's going for?

Any advice glady received.

G
Old 07 July 2004, 09:28 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

I know the feeling ScoobyPugh.
I have an MY98 with 100k (mostly motorway miles). I bought it over a year ago, and have kept up the exemplary service history - the service book has now had the last stamp space filled - all at Subaru main dealers, with oil changes in between each service.
It too had a new short engine under warranty 50k ago, due to piston slap, and with the proveable record of oil changes and servicing it's a car that'll easy do 200k without a problem as long as it's looked after.
I have carried out sensible mods, which shouldn't affect reliability but should take it over the 250bhp mark.
My dilemna is sell it now, with 4 months Subaru Proven Warranty remaining, and get a lower mileage model, or keep it as I may not get what I want for it, and just run it for the next few years.
I have no doubt that if I got £7.5k offered I would sell it, as that's what I think it is worth, and looking at the autotrader it seems fair, but I think it's still a buyer's market, so I may not get that - and if I didn't get a good price it'd be a pointless sale, as I would have to put more down a a lower mileage model which may not even run for as long because it hasn't been looked after well.
Oh.....I don't know - I commiserate with your situation.

Yours

Confused
Old 08 July 2004, 09:51 AM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Question Short engine replacement.

Originally Posted by sulli
I know the feeling ScoobyPugh.
I have an MY98 with 100k (mostly motorway miles). I bought it over a year ago, and have kept up the exemplary service history - the service book has now had the last stamp space filled - all at Subaru main dealers, with oil changes in between each service.
It too had a new short engine under warranty 50k ago, due to piston slap, and with the proveable record of oil changes and servicing it's a car that'll easy do 200k without a problem as long as it's looked after.
I have carried out sensible mods, which shouldn't affect reliability but should take it over the 250bhp mark.
My dilemna is sell it now, with 4 months Subaru Proven Warranty remaining, and get a lower mileage model, or keep it as I may not get what I want for it, and just run it for the next few years.
I have no doubt that if I got £7.5k offered I would sell it, as that's what I think it is worth, and looking at the autotrader it seems fair, but I think it's still a buyer's market, so I may not get that - and if I didn't get a good price it'd be a pointless sale, as I would have to put more down a a lower mileage model which may not even run for as long because it hasn't been looked after well.
Oh.....I don't know - I commiserate with your situation.

Yours

Confused

It seems that quite a few of you have had a short engine replacement. Firstly, what is a short engine replacement (excuse the ignorance) and was the piston slap caused due to modifications? Mine is bog standard with no mods and apart from a new clutch has caused no problems at all (touch wood).

Does this mean that modifications shorten the life expectancy of the boxer engine?
Old 08 July 2004, 09:53 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

short engine replacement is the botton end (i.e. not the heads and cams etc) but the crank/pistons/casings.

piston slap is caused, i think, as the piston skirts were too short allowing slight movement in the bore. more evident when cold started and sounds like a clanky/ticking at idle. gets slightly louder when revved.
Old 08 July 2004, 10:08 AM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
short engine replacement is the botton end (i.e. not the heads and cams etc) but the crank/pistons/casings.

piston slap is caused, i think, as the piston skirts were too short allowing slight movement in the bore. more evident when cold started and sounds like a clanky/ticking at idle. gets slightly louder when revved.
Mine has piston slap and has done ever since i bought it from a main dealer, they assured me it would last as long as any other model without piston slap as it was only an audible problem not mechanical

Learned to live with now and i think it doesnt really make any difference
Old 08 July 2004, 10:27 AM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Default Mods.

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
Mine has piston slap and has done ever since i bought it from a main dealer, they assured me it would last as long as any other model without piston slap as it was only an audible problem not mechanical

Learned to live with now and i think it doesnt really make any difference
Is this made worse by modifying the car?

The reason I ask was because the car I nearly bought was a chipped MY99 with induction kit etc and there was a knocking noise when you accelerated. Turned out to be the big end that was on its way out! It just seems that nearly all Impreza owners that I speak to who have had problems have modified their cars (although not greatly).

Just curious.
Old 08 July 2004, 10:43 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Just for interest:

Bought my 98 uk 4 years ago with 42K on the clock - serviced ever since at TSL, now 115000 on the clock - Been running ~250 bhp till last Christmas, when I PE'd it to 281.... Fitting TD05 etc this Saturday - hoping to get well across the 300 barrier....

Went through the 'shall I sell' decision about 2 months ago - (particularly when my Dad started saying ' its getting on a bit')... Decided I'd stick with it and 'short engine or gearbox' when necessary - could cut my losses and buy newer, but would have to start modding again !

Probably a different decision if I hadn't spent about 8+K modding it

To be honest, it doesn't run any worse than it did at 42000 miles - still uses no water or oil - and I get around 25/28 miles to the gallon - why change it....

Mark
Old 08 July 2004, 11:50 AM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by markwild
Just for interest:

Bought my 98 uk 4 years ago with 42K on the clock - serviced ever since at TSL, now 115000 on the clock - Been running ~250 bhp till last Christmas, when I PE'd it to 281.... Fitting TD05 etc this Saturday - hoping to get well across the 300 barrier....

Went through the 'shall I sell' decision about 2 months ago - (particularly when my Dad started saying ' its getting on a bit')... Decided I'd stick with it and 'short engine or gearbox' when necessary - could cut my losses and buy newer, but would have to start modding again !

Probably a different decision if I hadn't spent about 8+K modding it

To be honest, it doesn't run any worse than it did at 42000 miles - still uses no water or oil - and I get around 25/28 miles to the gallon - why change it....

Mark

I am coming round to that idea as well Mark.

My car uses no oil or water, I still enjoy driving her and looking at the prices of lower mileage models I may as well stick with it. I think the comments "getting on a bit" don't help but when they try and follow me through the twisties they soon go quiet!

Cheers

G
Old 08 July 2004, 11:56 AM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Why don't you just get a cheap diesel to run about in to work and back etc and keep the scoob for weekends ? That's what we do
Old 08 July 2004, 12:41 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D.K.1
Why don't you just get a cheap diesel to run about in to work and back etc and keep the scoob for weekends ? That's what we do
Because I work in North Wales and absolutely love the B roads.

I live in Staffs, so my weekend driving is very mundane compared to the weekday blasts around Cymru!

Besides, the money I would spend on a cheap diesel +insurance roughly equates to the depreciation on the scoob. That doesn't take into account the smile factor either.
Old 08 July 2004, 12:48 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

I live in North Wales, I know what you mean about the roads !

Our diesel is a bit, well, erm, I hate it compared to the scoob But it's cheap to run

It isn't that cheap to tax and insure two cars though, so I know where you''re coming from
Old 08 July 2004, 01:00 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

err - What's going on... I live in North Staffs and work in North Wales (well, Chester...) - but I commute (100 miles round trip each day )

Anyhow.. I wouldn't be able to run a different car in the week, I enjoy driving the impreza too much ! (Plus we already have 2 cars and my daughter is about to buy one - Couldn't have 4 ! !! )

Mark
Old 08 July 2004, 01:02 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Is this made worse by modifying the car?.
No not at all, it only *slaps* when cold, I wouldn't worry about it unless the noise for the first five minutes annoys you that much, but in my book a bit of noise doesnt warrant an engine rebuild
Old 08 July 2004, 01:24 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

err - What's going on... I live in North Staffs and work in North Wales (well, Chester...) - but I commute (100 miles round trip each day )

Anyhow.. I wouldn't be able to run a different car in the week, I enjoy driving the impreza too much ! (Plus we already have 2 cars and my daughter is about to buy one - Couldn't have 4 ! !! )

Mark

I am also based in Chester, are you the silver STi I have seen on A41 a few times?

I agree with your comments. The scoob is far too much fun to give up, especially if I have to travel down to Bala or Harlech for a site visit!

G
Old 08 July 2004, 07:49 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Afraid not - I've a red uk Turbo (98).....

Last edited by markwild; 08 July 2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09 July 2004, 01:55 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Afraid not - I've a red uk Turbo (98).....

Nice motor my friend.

Tell me, where did you get the spoiler and rear clusters from?

Did this affect your insurance?

G
Old 09 July 2004, 04:23 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Spoiler is an StiV6 from drmotorsport. Rear clusters are from TSL - I'm insured with l+v, who don't care about mods, unless its an engine CC change.

Just as well with all the changes I keep making

Take a look at www.wildsworld.co.uk for the rest of the stuff...

Cheers,

Mark