Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had a policeman on my doorstep!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2004, 07:10 PM
soldierscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Just had a policeman on my doorstep!!!

Just had a Policeman knock on door and quiz me as to whether i was driving in the Deepcut area (Surrey) on the 18th June at around 8-9 in the morning. Reason being, a woman had a "blue Subaru tailgating her and the registration number matching "nearly" matching yours". Starting to think, "was it me??!" he then said "the driver was beeping the horn and gesticulating at her", i then knew it wasnt me! After saying i can prove where i was on the 18th, army liking to keep tabs on our location, i asked him why he came here. He said although she did not give a full reg number they had enough to start looking and started with a list of 200 blue subaru 53regd cars in my area. (i have a 03 WRX). They then, a few days ago, narrowed the list to 9 cars, which mine was number 4 on there list!!! So if you have a Blue 03 WRX, around the Aldershot area, you maybe getting a knock on the door!!!! But it does make you think there are idiots out there who are giving Scooby owners a bad name!!!
Old 05 July 2004, 07:13 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awaiting my knock

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=341902
Old 05 July 2004, 07:24 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

jjones

Don't stay on the run mate, it'll only make it worse. Best hand yourself in LOL
Old 05 July 2004, 07:34 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by soldierscooby
Reason being, a woman had a "blue Subaru tailgating her ... the driver was beeping the horn and gesticulating at her...
She probably left out the bit about the stupid thing she had just done to elicit that behaviour.
Old 05 July 2004, 07:35 PM
Andy H STi
Scooby Regular

LoL

How mad!

You had the knock yet fella?

Andy
Old 05 July 2004, 07:37 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Question

any news?? this is better than the bill or eastenders!
Old 05 July 2004, 07:52 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wow!!! 200 cars on their shortlist you say? Well at least they are doing something constructive with their time
Old 05 July 2004, 07:54 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

so the police have nothing better to do than try and find the driver of a car that did a bit of tailgating and hand gesturing? they should try being on the M6 on a friday at 5pm, they'd have a field day.

Dave
http://www.scoobyphotos.com
dave@scoobyphotos.com
Old 05 July 2004, 07:57 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy H STi
LoL

How mad!

You had the knock yet fella?

Andy
nah mines unrelated just goes to show how many dozy cows are out there

would love to hear the other side of this story. presumably she must of done something to provoke this anger from the scoob driver. probably something similar as to what happened to me. but i let her do all the hazard flashing, gesticulating etc if the old bill do turn up i suspect she may have neglected to tell this bit of the story

time will tell but i look forward to giving my version of events if they do turn up
Old 05 July 2004, 08:15 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

In the absence of any actual evidence this does seem like a complete waste of everybody's time to me... anyone 'in the know' care to comment?
Old 05 July 2004, 08:24 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

So what do the coppers expect to hear when they ask the "guilty" person if it was him? A full confession presumably and when He/She does confess the charge will be what exactly?

Another display of the intellect of the average copper (good mate of mine is one BTW, hence "average.")

If they we're to come and sit down my local high street they could catch a load of **** in saxo's and festa's actually driving dangerously and therefore be "policing" the streets.

Ritchie.
Old 05 July 2004, 08:42 PM
soldierscooby
Scooby Regular

Smile

To be fair he accepted my side of the story and apologised etc, but have to agree with the comment on police not pursuing the more deserving criminals who warrant their attention!!
Old 05 July 2004, 09:08 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I know of several occasions where the Police where unable to trace a car, even with a registration number. This included a guy I know who was knocked off his bike.

Having said that, the same Police Force managed to trace me to work after I'd had a prang with a policeman's wife. She only had my home details, so they must have used some good (dodgy? ) detective work to trace me within a couple of hours.

It's good to see that some forces are taking bad driving seriously and pursuing the culprits.
Old 05 July 2004, 10:18 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

At the end of a day if a complaint is made they are obliged to follow it up.

Otherwise the person maing the complaint ends up on a public BBS somewhere saying "I reported this to the police and they did nothing about it", etc etc etc
Old 05 July 2004, 10:25 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Also, just because the "minor" complaint is being investigated, it does not mean the bigger crimes are being neglected as some seem to think.
Old 05 July 2004, 10:38 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

The BiB down there dont have much to do then!!! Thats crazy - up here to run a wildcard PNC check like that usually has to be something serious.

Also the bit about 200 blue 2003 scoobs in the deepcut area - BOLLOX!!!

Old 06 July 2004, 07:25 AM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

Had a very simalar thing happen to me! one sat afternoon just gettin ready to polish the scooby when a police car pulls up outside. asks if its my car so i politely ask why! he then progresses to ask where i was 3 months ago on a wednesday nite! tyhen asks if i was cut up by someone near lakeside shopping centre and decided to follow them for 15 miles to where they parked at home and then attacked the driver & car! kindly told him that it wasnt me(realised about an hour later it was a friends birthday in the opposite direction) and all he could say was well the reg plate was very simalar to yours! (at the time R500DBY) so i point out that i for one know of at least 6 with scooby related plates etc,so he then asks me where but i decline to put anyone else in the frame! so he took a description of me and said it didnt really match but warned me i may get another visit! oh and best of all he said he saw my car by chance!

steve
Old 06 July 2004, 08:24 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

Who was she, The Cheif Constable's wife, christ no wonder any proper police work is done.
Cheers
Colin
Old 06 July 2004, 08:45 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

WTF????

Can't believe they'd be wasting their time with a **** and bull story like that, with no hard evidence.

They should have been at Marble Arch around 6.30am on Monday (like I was), I saw two motorists who had just had a prang fighting and rolling in the middle of the street. One of them was brandishing a suspension strut !!!!
Old 06 July 2004, 08:46 AM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

This 'nearly matching yours' no. plate routine appears to be the chosen method for camberley police to pull people over.

Not far from deepcut I was pulled over by a Police 406 at 8am on a sunday morning. The copper proceeded to explain that a subaru had been stolen the night before that had a no. plate 'similar' to mine so he thought he'd found the stolen subaru! D'OH!

Perhaps I should have explained that as my number plate was 'similar' and not the 'same', and perhaps, just perhaps, I wasn't the car he was looking for (and that he should get reading lessons)!.............
Old 06 July 2004, 08:56 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Why can't people be grateful that Scooby are actively targetted, even for routine stop checks?

Surely it increases the chances of a stolen Scooby being recovered tenfold?

I, personally wouldn't have a problem about being stopped, even if the only reason was, "lots of Subarus are being stolen sir, so we are randomly stop-checking those that we see"
Old 06 July 2004, 09:47 AM
yoza
BANNED

Talizman, you obviously dont know what its like to be stopped all the time, believe me its a pain in the ****. Even if youve done nothing wrong, at the back of your mind you think you have. Its OK saying its for our own good, I d rather be left alone, thanks anyway.

At least two pullovers per month, usually resulting in a 'Horti', usually after a long shift when you really cant be doing with it.

As for the woman being harrassed by a scooby driver.

Was this the same woman who was driving around with a petrol pump nozzel, and hose trailing from her fuel flap...........?

Probably.
Old 06 July 2004, 09:48 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Nah, they wont pick you jjones, as you said the woman wrote down your numberplate while standing by your car - hence (unless she is a cripple and writes as well as she drives) she should have an EXACT match, and this wouldnt lead to a list of 200 cars would it

you could turn around and say this lady was harassing you and you felt attacked, but went on your way - no need agrovating the situation. Then she fronted you - continuing to abuse you and your car (leant on it ) etc etc... I would sue the biatch! Take her to court for abusive behaviour, reckless driving, not paying due care and attention and for deliberate vandalism of your vehicle....

Neal

PS: either that or find the biatch and drown her.
Old 06 July 2004, 10:24 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Yoza,

Admittedly, I haven't been stopped anywhere near as much as you, probably only 3 times in the last year or so, but to be fair, Scooby theft/crime isn't as much of an issue here as it is in other parts of the country. (touch wood!)

The way I see it is, if you have nothing to hide then a routine stop serves to identify any stolen Scoobs running around.

I'd hate to think that if my car were stolen that the police would be reluctant to pull it for fear of inconvieniencing the driver.....

I carry my driving licence in my wallet. My cars insurance is recorded on the PNC like every other car in the UK and my most recent cars haven't required an MOT, so need for a hort each time.

Soon the MOT database will go live and will also be directly linked to the PNC so hort's could become a thing of the past.
Old 06 July 2004, 10:36 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Tailgating, beeping and gesticulating are a manifestation of a personality disorder that will end up sooner or later in an incident of physical road rage violence. It's good policing in my opinion.
Old 06 July 2004, 11:24 AM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

I wonder what the police would do if I was to go and make a complaint now about someone who "gesticulated" at me and all I provided was half the reg number? I would wager very little.

If your car is stolen (like many will have been yesterday) then you tend to give the police the whole reg so I find it unlikely they would fear pulling someone over who was driving it.

So if you experience your car being stolen (like many will have done yesterday) then you'd expect the police to be actively looking for your car? I would like to think so anyway, and we haven't even touched on any "serious" crime that might need dealing with.

This for me is a complete waste of everyones time that will achieve nothing at all. In a utopian society with a bobby on every street corner perhaps, but not in the real world.

Cheers
Ritchie.
Old 06 July 2004, 11:38 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ritch96
I wonder what the police would do if I was to go and make a complaint now about someone who "gesticulated" at me and all I provided was half the reg number? I would wager very little.
Without any corroboration, very little naturally.

If your car is stolen (like many will have been yesterday) then you tend to give the police the whole reg so I find it unlikely they would fear pulling someone over who was driving it.
YOu'd be surprised at how many folk don't actually know their car's reg number!

So if you experience your car being stolen (like many will have done yesterday) then you'd expect the police to be actively looking for your car? I would like to think so anyway, and we haven't even touched on any "serious" crime that might need dealing with.
In an ideal world, yes, the police would be actively looking for each individual stolen car, but it is just not possible.

Most stolen cars are simply "happened upon".

If for example, a "blue impreza" is stolen in your area, then yes, you will pay extra attention to similar marques, but your whole day cannot be spent actively searching for each stolen car. It is logistically impossible, given other routine tasks and duties that require to be undertaken.
Old 06 July 2004, 11:40 AM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Talizman - if given two seven-digit alpha-numeric series could you tell the difference between the two???

I was commenting on the similarities in phrases used not that I was actually pulled over - but seen as you've brought that up -

Copper spots and follows a subaru - on the phone for a PNC check. Car reg matches description and is NOT reported stolen - yet it gets pulled over anyway. I would not mind being pulled over occasionally for a random check but rather they just be honest than use an excuse like 'the no. plates are similar'.
Old 06 July 2004, 11:42 AM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't beleive some of the people in this thread think this is good policing.

What do you think would have happenned if 'your' missus (as long as your not a policeman) went into a police station and made a complaint like that?

You think they'd be trying to find the car? They wouldn't even have tracked it down to 200 let alone 9, let alone wasting public money on visiting people.

It's a disgusting abuse of power and the kind of thing that gives the police the bad name they seem to merit.

Also on random stops - Out-farkin-rageous. One of the reasons I got my car debadged.
Old 06 July 2004, 11:47 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

To get an appreciation of what happened, imagine that the people weren't in cars and were walking down the street. If some angry bloke was walking a foot behind you, shouting and screaming at you, you would have every right to report the incident and furnish the police with whatever descripion you could. There is an element that thinks it's acceptable behaviour to become angry at other road users and they should be re-educated, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Just had a policeman on my doorstep!!!