Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at STI Type-R - what should I check?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2004, 08:41 AM
Jim27
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at STI Type-R - what should I check?

Hi folks

My name's Jim (obviously) and I'm considering getting a WRX STI Type-R. I may be going to view it this weekend but it's a good 2 hour drive away...

What should I be looking for/checking? It's a 1996 P reg with 50k(ish) on the clock and although the current owners says he doesn't have FHS he does have loads of receipts.

Some pointers would be much appreciated.

Ta

Jim
Old 23 June 2004, 09:20 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Make sure it has the cam belt service carried out (45k) - its an expensive service. These cars must have oil changes in line with the service schedule every 7,500 or 6 months - and many do this more frequently.

It is also imperative that the correct oil is used at servicing. A good question to ask if the car was self maintained - is an explanation of how the oil change was performed with regard to priming of the oil system.
Old 23 June 2004, 09:33 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

it seems lots of car enthiusiats own jap market cars, and lots of enthiuasts do work themselves, now this isn always a bad thing as these people tend to look after them probably better than people who use main delaers in my opinion, so you need to find out if its neglect or diy tlc.

check for regular oil changes and receipts for parts for serviicng at regular intervals. Ask where he has been getting the jdm parts from. and check for what kind of oil has been used ect.

you should easily be able to tell if its neglected or looked after, again check for cambelt as this is a pain to do. at 50k if it was replaced at 45k he should have the receipt and it should still look pretty new if fitted.
Old 23 June 2004, 11:38 AM
Jim27
Scooby Newbie

Cheers folks -

The details I have so far are:

It was imported in 1997, current owner has had it for 1 year
55,000 miles
Some history, but unspecified as yet
Tracker
Mint body & interior
New front tyres, Rears will ast 2 months or so.
No I.C.E.
Private sale at £10,900 ono
18" wheels and the "bigger, more bulgy" spoiler

Anyone near Peterborough fancy being a good samaritan and meeting me on Saturday morning to help an ignoramus (i.e. me ) look it over?

Jim
Old 23 June 2004, 12:03 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

I always changed all 4 tires at the same time. To prevent any strain on the transmission/differential - but that opinion may not be widely held.
Old 23 June 2004, 12:38 PM
HOUSEQUAKE
Scooby Regular

Default Check

Jim, there are some Type R which are NOT STI. An STI Type R will have a red engine, a carbon fibre strut brace, tinted rear windows, STI logos of one description or another on the front seats, an intercooler waterspray and a diff control dial. The WRX Type R will not have these.

It's confusing, although both cars are WRX, only the STI has been to STI and had the mods listed above, the WRX Type R is simply a 2 door version.
Old 23 June 2004, 12:54 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

seems far too expensive for what it is

a 97 version 3?

i sold my version 5 type r with 30k on the clock for 11900 with fsh and loads of extras

wouldnt even touch it at that price with lack of service history

resale value will be hit

look elsewhere....nothing is selling so you will pick up a bargain
Old 23 June 2004, 01:02 PM
Jim27
Scooby Newbie

Apparently it has 555 emblems on the front seats...

I know what you're saying about it being overpriced but have a look at how many 2 door Imprezas are on Autotrader, especially ones in Sonic Blue (which is the colour I reeeeeally want).

There is another going for same price but I don't have any info on that one yet...
Old 23 June 2004, 01:38 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

and if you ring em all up i guarantee you hardly any will have sold

i had mine in autotrader for a month before i sold at a realistic price

be patient danielson

a 97 with 55k on the clock without fsh is not worth 10900ono

i would offer 9k take it or leave it for that type of car
Old 23 June 2004, 01:54 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ola

I have one of the Type R's which is non STI, i will try to impart my knowledge, which anyone who knows more is free to correct

The non STI version was a japanese WRX which was the only WRX 2 door version, it does not have the driver controlled diff, it does not have the water spray, it does not have the red engine, it does not have the carbon strut brace.

However, it does have a plaque declaring its number in the build, 234/1000 in my case, mine is a 98my as a version 4 it have a plaque on the boot which matches the front seats stating that subaru were WRC manufacturing champions in 95,95,97 it has a green laural reef around the emblem, it also has Type R is small letters under the right rear light
It also has white dials

The Limited versions have a roof vent, like mine.
Mine also has A/C and ABS

These are the things that i have noticed which are worth looking for:
The bonnet should be aluminium, mine is and i think if you prang it and fix it on the sly you could end up with a steel version
The windows seem to move on their rails slightly and a bit of foam they slide on wears and scratches the glass, rather annoying
It should also have power folding mirrors, if not, why??
Check for hot brake judder, a few spirited stops to check its not pulling and then a lightish application should show up an imminent disc change being on the cards
also try down shifting quickly and using the engine braking to rev the engine up, its not good practice but it shows up if the rear diff and subframe bushes need changing as you get a double bang and it all bottoms out, not too expensive to fix but more hassle and cost to you

do the usual checks for gaps and and paint overspray, make sure everything opens and closes and works, dont be scared to leave it idling to check the fan operates and then see if it hot starts etc all the usual checks for smoke

AND final one, make sure it is stone cold when you get there, touch the exhaust manifold (carefully) if not he is trying to hide a piston slap problem, when they are cold (mine does it) they sound slightly diesel like, its the piston rattling in its bore, not the end of the world, but he is not being honest with you

Bear in mind if the car is the non STI it is still 270bhp mine is and its standard and more than enough for ruining your license

on a random note, i believe (only a belief so if someone knows better please tell me) the Type Rs are Rally blue not sonic blue

top cars though so enjoy and be careful

Ray
Old 23 June 2004, 02:06 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

I may be around saturday, north or south of Peterborough, (im in Stotfold)
Old 23 June 2004, 05:33 PM
type-r-stan
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

come to watford instead and buy my 98 sti type r with 37k on the clock for 12k

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...-stan/soc4.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...-stan/sco3.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...-stan/sco2.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...-stan/sco4.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...-stan/sco1.jpg
Old 25 June 2004, 12:25 AM
Andy H STi
Scooby Regular

Or my STi v5 Type R for 13500 which has just had a brand new STi 9 block and £4000 of engine work, just running in now

All work carried out by Prosport

Andy
Old 25 June 2004, 12:32 AM
type-r-stan
Scooby Regular

Having just seen jim27's post on sidc - he has got about 5k to spend so he aint getting either!!!!
Old 25 June 2004, 12:35 AM
Andy H STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by type-r-stan
Having just seen jim27's post on sidc - he has got about 5k to spend so he aint getting either!!!!
LoL

Oh well matey!

Andy
Old 25 June 2004, 12:43 AM
type-r-stan
Scooby Regular

I wondered why he didn't respond to my reply.. if he was looking at that car for £10'900 he would be mad not to look at mine for 12... he just started another thread waffling on about 2 other cars.....
Old 25 June 2004, 12:53 AM
Andy H STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by type-r-stan
I wondered why he didn't respond to my reply.. if he was looking at that car for £10'900 he would be mad not to look at mine for 12... he just started another thread waffling on about 2 other cars.....
LoL

Andy