Sponsored by:

WRX PPP'd but seems slow

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2004, 04:48 PM
Gazboth
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX PPP'd but seems slow

Had the PPP fitted to my WRX at it's 1000 mile service a couple of weeks back but I feel disappointed with the performance. Fair enough it sounds much better but seems somewhat sluggish and doesn't seem as torquey as I was expecting.

I know everybody is going to say it needs a good 10,000 miles to loosen up but compared to the demonstrator (with PPP) that had 2,000 miles on it ,it seems slow.

Having had to make do with a Golf diesel for the last two years I am gutted that the WRX is not living upto my expectations.

Anybody similarly disappointed by their WRX's performance ?

Gaz.
Old 21 June 2004, 05:11 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Didnt the dealer tell you that PPP stands for '**** Poor Performance'.

I'm in the same boat mate, mine never impressed me. manage to convince myself that i was just expecting too much. then i took it onto a rolling road and got 227 bhp.

fortunately i've found a dealer that at least takes me seriously and is prepared to try and solve the problem.

good luck and dont let anyone fob you off with the usual heatsoak bollox.
Old 21 June 2004, 05:18 PM
JonathanC
Scooby Regular

Gaz

Have a search under the technical area as this has been a subject of quite a few threads. I think the dealer has to make some adjustments as part of the PPP kit but best to do a search. if I come across the thread I'll let you know.

Jonathan
Old 21 June 2004, 06:14 PM
Red Man
Scooby Regular

Gaz,

this sounds really strange. I had PPP on MY01 Bugeye WRX, (after 18 months and 10k miles) and it was like getting a new car.

You should be pulling stronger from lower down and be able to undertake most overtaking in and out without gear change - huge benefit.

As far as my experince goes the car was not complete until it had the PPP (or similar) and in real driving conditions it made a huge difference to how quickly I could get about.

If you are not seeing this I suggest you try to hook up with some guys that have a WRX PPP and swap motors to compare.
Old 21 June 2004, 06:32 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Gazboth do you know what boost pressure your running?
Old 21 June 2004, 08:00 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Yo all..

My WRX M04 is going in for its 1000 service on the 28th and will be fitted with PPP. The dealer told me the following ...

During the the run in period you drive is carefully, at the 1000 mile service its gets a new brain (effectively). You need to teach that brain what you want .....

Therefore once PPP is fitted you need to spend some time giving it some stick so it knows how you want to drive ?!

I have no idea if this is true - but thats what I am planning to do on the 28th ...

cheers

Mark
Old 22 June 2004, 12:44 PM
Gazboth
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jasoon
Gazboth do you know what boost pressure your running?
No I am sorry I have no idea what boost pressure I am running, but I stupidly assumed that the dealer would check the car out before giving it back to me.
Old 22 June 2004, 12:48 PM
Gazboth
Scooby Newbie

Mark, I have heard something similar when you may have had to run 95RON unleaded for whatever reason, but not when the car has been run on super unleaded from new.

However I have been giving it plenty of stick just in case, but no significant improvement as yet.

Gaz
Old 22 June 2004, 12:54 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

The dealer should check it when the works been done.....
Old 22 June 2004, 02:15 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

yep that certainly doesnt sound right....

if you do get the opportunity to find out your boost pressure, the standard car runs at 0.95 bar, and a PPPd one i believe is 1.1-1.15 bar.

Frenchboy....have you actually got it sorted yet?

At the end of the day, if your unhappy with it, get a dealer to put the diagnostic equipment on it, and see what it throws up, and like frenchboy said.....dont be fobbed off!

Neil.
Old 22 June 2004, 02:28 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

mines running at arround 1.26 bar
Old 22 June 2004, 02:41 PM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

Had an 04 WRX PPP for about 2 months now. Had the PPP fitted from day one, also got an Sti panel filter on it from day one.

Most impressed with the extra power - before this car i had a 2001 bugeye WRX - not PPP'd. Was running about 235/240 bhp (upped boost, WRX BB, centre cat gone).

The new one is clearly quicker despite there only being a 20 - 25 bhp increase. I'm using BP Ultimate and sometimes Optimax.

OT and sorry to butt in peeps but :-

The only thing i miss with the new car is the kick of the dawes - i'd really like to put that back on but i guess that is a no no due to the prodrive ecu? Can i safely use a dawes device with the ppp ecu? Or will it mess fuelling up?

Jasoon - how come yours is running that sort of boost?

Old 22 June 2004, 02:50 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

I just fitted a dawes to my 03 WRX non-PPP, set it to 1.1 bar, seems to make a subtle difference. Mine was running 250+ anyway with it at standard boost before i put it on, so i would be interested to see what diff the dawes has made to overall power. Guess i wont know until the next RR day! I think it does make it spool quicker though which is nice!

I wouldnt put one on a PPPd car though, the TD04 isnt that much good for much over 1.25 bar....so if the PPP boost is already near 1.2 you wouldnt be gaining much. and it probably would mess up the fuelling a bit :P

Neil.

only other mods are BB and filter.
Old 22 June 2004, 03:19 PM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
I just fitted a dawes to my 03 WRX non-PPP, set it to 1.1 bar, seems to make a subtle difference. Mine was running 250+ anyway with it at standard boost before i put it on, so i would be interested to see what diff the dawes has made to overall power. Guess i wont know until the next RR day! I think it does make it spool quicker though which is nice!

I wouldnt put one on a PPPd car though, the TD04 isnt that much good for much over 1.25 bar....so if the PPP boost is already near 1.2 you wouldnt be gaining much. and it probably would mess up the fuelling a bit :P

Neil.

only other mods are BB and filter.
Mine is boosting at 1.1 ish, so I could get a touch more boost out of it.

I thought i might be able to use a dawes to compliment the ppp - i just want the kick back, not really fussed about upping the boost, that kick in the back is addictive.

:/
Old 22 June 2004, 03:21 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Frenchboy....have you actually got it sorted yet?
Neil.

Not yet. The dyno results are with the dealer and they are supposed to be speaking to Prodrive about it. I havent heard anything back yet.
Old 22 June 2004, 03:26 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin71
i safely use a dawes device with the ppp ecu? Or will it mess fuelling up?
AFAIK the whole point of the PPP is that it has nice safety parameters built into the program that cut boost/fuel if it senses anything is wrong.

A dawes would override that (i think) and would therefore invalidate your warranty (and the whole point of the PPP).
Old 22 June 2004, 03:28 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

I thought i might be able to use a dawes to compliment the ppp - i just want the kick back, not really fussed about upping the boost, that kick in the back is addictive.
I doubt it would make too much difference in that respect. The PPP is supposed to come in around 1000 rpm lower that standard anyway...the dawes wouldnt help that too much. Id say mine with the dawes comes in at about 3k, which should be very similar to the PPP.

All i could suggest is try it.....its only 40 quid after all.

Neil.
Old 22 June 2004, 03:32 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

merlin71

Not sure why its running that sort of boost.......
All i've had done is the PPP.......

I have had one instance of over boost so I presume its running near the over boost limit
Old 22 June 2004, 03:35 PM
whiteyisback
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up thats why i didnt bother with the PPP....

I've been to too many rolling road days and seen PPP'd Wrx's and Sti's on the rollers fall way short of there supposed power figures. I have been told by my local dealer that the poor power figures are down to "heatsoak" which i know can account for some power loss but surely not to the extent that i have seen and others on here have reported.
I ended up decating and Tek3 remapping my new WRX and have been blown away by the difference in performance, it's like night and day.
I had the car on a rolling road about 4 months after the work as well and it touched the 280bhp mark.....gr8 stuff.
All the work cost me a total of £1500 and that included a full, new H&S stainless steel lifetime guarantee exhaust with my own design tailpipe, greenstuff panel filter and Tek3 remap...all the work was done by Extreme Scoobies and I can't think of a single negative comment to make regarding the whole experience. My car now growls properly and has the bite to match the bark!
Old 22 June 2004, 03:39 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Whitey, is yours an 03?? if so, what boost is it running? 280bhp sounds pretty conservative (but still damn good fun), mate had his done last week (on 01WRX) with similar mods to yours and has a safe 295bhp@1.2bar

Just curious as i am looking to get a full H&S system for mine and i also have a greeen panel filter!

Neil.

Last edited by Neilo; 22 June 2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 22 June 2004, 03:44 PM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps, i'll leave it then i think, not wanting to mess up fuelling or spool up. Although the warranty isn't a major worry - the dealer is fantastic and i work for a company thats good friends with IM

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I know my 04 is making good power - i've booted it against similar powered cars and come out smiling - non ppp Sti (same power but weighs more) and really cheesed some guy off in a Boxter S - 2nd & 3rd gear sprint i crept passed him, his face was like thunder.

All good fun.

Taking the car to PowerStation 3rd July - it really should make 260 but we'll see.
Old 22 June 2004, 03:51 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

if you can creep past a boxster when already moving....id say your good for 260
Old 22 June 2004, 03:59 PM
whiteyisback
Scooby Regular

Default yes it's a my03

not sure on the boost but when the car was being mapped i specifically asked them not to ring every once of power out as the car is a daily driver, covering approx 20k per year and i didnt want the engine too stressed out.

I was told that uprated hoses/pipework might be in order if the boost pressures get raised too high...which was just another added cost that i could do without.

It was a strange feeling driving into the garage with 220bhp and driving out at the end of the day with 280bhp....not only was the car much, much livelier and more responsive but felt much smoother and less asthmatic....

incidently the exhaust is a work of art, really well made with much smoother angled bends, etc than the original....was also interesting to compare the 2 exhausts and look at the catalytic convertors. It's easy to see just how restrictive they are. As each cat was removed it felt like i doing the car a favour and helping it to breath....strange but true(!)...lol...
Old 22 June 2004, 04:05 PM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=whiteyisback]

QUOTE]

Just wondering how you made 280bhp but then i noticed you say "both cats" so you've had the d/pipe decatted too?

Lucky bugger!

Old 22 June 2004, 04:09 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Hopefully whitey has had all 3 removed!! if not, i would as the one in the up-pipe will slowly break down and mash the turbo.....which you dont want!

Im really looking forward to going the H&S route....they are true master craftsmen as far as i can tell!
Old 22 June 2004, 04:09 PM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

if you can creep past a boxster when already moving....id say your good for 260
Old 22 June 2004, 04:12 PM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

Hopefully whitey has had all 3 removed!! if not, i would as the one in the up-pipe will slowly break down and mash the turbo.....which you dont want!

Im really looking forward to going the H&S route....they are true master craftsmen as far as i can tell!
I'm probably wrong but I thought the 03/04 had no cat in the uppipe?

No idea where i got that from - it's just something i thought was true.
Old 22 June 2004, 04:17 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

nope, us 03/04 boys/girls have still got 3 cats. Just a better ECU that the bugeye cars (so ive been told).
Old 22 June 2004, 04:33 PM
pxr
Scooby Newbie

Default info

I'm not up on the modding side, but am looking to start on my 02 wrx in due course.

Under stand the removing of the cats will increase the bhp, but who's best to do.

and what else do you need to do to squeaze to 280+ out of the

whats the thoughts on the prodrive kit
Old 22 June 2004, 08:13 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not had a problem on my MY04 PPP.
Boost is 17.6 psi for 2nd & 3rd gear. 4th is 18.5 psi.All at about 3600 rpm, yet at 6000 rpm its at a safe 12.6 psi.

Been on PE rolling road and had 265 bhp/263 lbft and stood its ground against various modded Scoobs from Kentscoobies, who seemed to get what they were expecting.
There was a WRX that just had a rear Prodrive box who got 253 bhp but also an STi PPP who got about 275 bhp - explain that?

I have fitted an STi water spray system and made sure that several squirts of the button were made before it was tested though.

When I feel that my PPP has outlived its fun, then I've stashed an STi up-pipe, catted PPP downpipe, turbo and intercooler for a rainy day and will cut off the caps from WRX injectors - all in conjunction with a tek3.

Nick

Quick Reply: WRX PPP'd but seems slow