Sponsored by:

Brand New WRX - Swirly scratches all over

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2004, 05:12 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New WRX - Swirly scratches all over

I picked up a new WRX about 2 months ago and when the sun came out I noticed it had very fine scrathes all over the paintwork. It almost looks as though someone has waxed it with a cloth that has a bit of fine grit in it.

Anyway, I took it back the next day and eventually it went to a bodyshop to be re waxed. Unfortunately they are still as bad as ever.

Has anyone else had the same problem with a new car? Also, does anyone have any ideas as to how to play it - aside from, make this supposedly new paint look like new paint!

Thanks

Nick
Old 18 June 2004, 05:16 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

I take it the car is black or dark blue - common with this paint on ALL cars if it is.

Brian.
Old 18 June 2004, 05:18 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxmania
I take it the car is black or dark blue - common with this paint on ALL cars if it is.

Brian.
My car is WR Blue.

The reason I am so **** about it is because my last car (CTR) was black and I made the scratches myself (like a complete idiot). Never forgave myself for it and pee'd me off every time I saw it in the sun. Really don't want to have to live with it if possible.
Old 18 June 2004, 05:30 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

Default Scratches

I imagine what they are doing is simply waxing the car to try and remove the scratches. You have to 'polish' the car to remove the scratches first and then apply the 'wax' as the protection. Not sure you'll ever get anywhere with the dealer unless you demand they get a professional valeter in to do your car (they should know the difference between wax & polish). I would save the grief and either do it yourself or get someone who know's what they're doing from ScoobyNET community (Mark Underwood, Gossy the Valeter etc).

Bit crappy when it's a brand new car though.

Good luck.

p.s. don't use a sponge or wash leather ever again - you'll see the scratches return after a few washes. Use a clean microfibre cloth for washing (wash it after every use) and use a water blade and soft towel to dry the car.
Old 18 June 2004, 07:50 PM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Best bet is some Swissol Cleaner fluid & then a wax
Old 18 June 2004, 07:55 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

my dark blue classic had swirly marks all over it, I too hated the sight of them in direct sunlight.

Thats why my 03 is silver this time around - sticking to light colours from now on
Old 18 June 2004, 10:19 PM
buzz_lightyear
Scooby Regular

Bah thought it was only me. My 4 month old WRX (also WR Blue) has exactly that same! After 10000mile service, the dealer let "Malcolm" clean the car - told them NEVER to do it again! Been looking for a solution ever since - so will try the Swissol route I think...

Cheers
Old 18 June 2004, 10:24 PM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Swissol will definately get them out !
Depending on how bad they are you might need a medium cleaner fluid !
Old 18 June 2004, 10:34 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by buzz_lightyear
the dealer let "Malcolm" clean the car - told them NEVER to do it again!
I would have told them a bit more than that..... like <censored>
Old 18 June 2004, 11:03 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick L
I picked up a new WRX about 2 months ago and when the sun came out I noticed it had very fine scrathes all over the paintwork. It almost looks as though someone has waxed it with a cloth that has a bit of fine grit in it.
Before I ordered my WR1 I had a good look at the STi - there was a brand new black one in the dealer's showroom. When I looked closely I was surprised because the bonnet was covered in tiny swirly scratches. Thought it was a bit poor for a brand new car straight from the manufacturer.

My current car is black and, although I love the colour, every tiny scratch and piece of dust stands out to make the car look dull if I haven't washed it for a couple of days. And after it rains it looks a complete mess...

Looking forward to the Ice Blue in that respect.
Old 18 June 2004, 11:51 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

that brand new black one in the dealers has probably been cleaned at least every 2/3 days to keep it dust free in the showroom

either by dusting off or useing a pdi polish

your car valleter isnt going to do a full on swissol wax every few days on the showroom cars for a number of reasons, so this is what happens
Old 19 June 2004, 12:00 PM
2002pete
Scooby Regular

When I picked my new WR Blue WRX from the Dealer it had no tiny swirly scratches on it even had the paint protected with Amazing glaze by the dealer (must have been lucky)

Pete.
Old 19 June 2004, 03:29 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1 Wannabe

Looking forward to the Ice Blue in that respect.
The Ice Blue looks great but the wheels dont half get dirty very quickly
Old 21 June 2004, 04:26 PM
Gazboth
Scooby Newbie

I had exactly the same problem with my new black WRX about 4 weeks ago. Luckily I noticed it on the day that I picked it up when I went to have a tracker fitted. Under flourescent lighting it looked a total mess.

Took car straight back and refused to accept it until they had got rid of all the scratches. They had another go at valeting it with no improvement. They eventually got some valeters down from the head office in West Bromwich who got it gleaming. Dealership said that they had never sent a car out that was so shiny. Pity it wasn't like that first time !

I have since used Maguiars Gold Class wax on it after a recommendation on here and it looks great until it gets dusty or it rains.

Gaz.