ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STi vs new Legacy 3R

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2004, 08:47 AM
BigGuy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STi vs new Legacy 3R

I'm thinking of trading my much loved STi7 Digit power (same as PPP) for a new Legacy 3R. I'm just getting a little older and wondering if I shouldn't be driving something a little more sedate.

Does anyone have any experience with the Legacy?

Would I regret such a move?

Advice, please.
Old 17 June 2004, 08:58 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking of trading the Forester for one. I've driven the Legacy twice now and it's pretty nice, 5 speed auto better than the 4 speed forester, though the 'tiptronic' or whatever it's called is worthless IMHO...just treat it as a standard auto.
It's a very very different drive of course from your STI (I had a MY03 STIPPP). Most glaring is the fact it's an automatic, and it's not a sporty car...it's a load lugging estate.
Inside the Legacy seems to be miles ahead of the Impreza and Forester, it's a bigger leap forward than the classic to blobeye evoltion in the Imp..the instrument pack is particularly cool (I think it's tha same as on JDM STI's..electronic guages rule)
My biggest concerns are the incredible depreciation rate the legacy has suffered traditionally, and the fact that the squeaks were becoming aparent in the 1000 mile old demo car already.
I'll probably swap the Forester for it though..hell, it's only money.
Rgds
C
Old 17 June 2004, 09:11 AM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

Going from an STi to an auto Leggy is a bit severe. Why not look at one of the new JDM GT leggies - turbo and manual (or auto if you insist). The dreaded sequential turbo setup has now been ditched.

If your going bigger why not consider the wagon while your at it - _very_ useful and very stealthy.
Old 17 June 2004, 09:22 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, need to add, if you enjoy driving then you will definitely regret the move...I have a couple other pretty fun cars to drive when the urge takes me....Forester/Legacy is purely for shopping/hauling.
Rgds
C
Old 17 June 2004, 10:03 AM
BigGuy
Scooby Regular

maybe not such a wise move then. It's just that I get tired of punks trying to race me at all times. Sometimes I think a more discreet car would be more relaxing. Of course that doesn't mean that I want a boring car either. Is the Legacy with the 6 pot that boring? I also hear rumors of a better specced car on it's way with the STi 6 speed and better suspension
Old 17 June 2004, 10:22 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As Duncan suggested, there is supposed to be a manual turbo version coming to GB towards the end of the year ( it was reported in EVO mag some time back and the local salesman believed this to be true). Me and the missus have a GT-B and an 04 WRX PPP , and as much as the legacy will never match the Impreza in outright dynamics, the Impreza will never do a long journey at 8/10th's and let you out the other side feeling so refreshed or go to Ikea/B&Q and get as much in the boot!
Old 17 June 2004, 10:47 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

I went from a MY02 STi-PPP to a new 2.5 Legacy.

Much better built, equipped, comfortable, discrete, attractive etc

Had a look at the 3.0 but the running costs were much the same as the STi so couldn't see the point.

I'm just about to click over 15,000 miles in 4 months and not a squeak or rattle anywhere.
Old 17 June 2004, 11:31 AM
BigGuy
Scooby Regular

G00ner - How does the paint quality compare to the STi? The paint on my hood/bonnet is absolute crap! It seems that every time I hit a bug a chunk of paint goes with it.
Old 17 June 2004, 10:24 PM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It stays on

Mark
Old 18 June 2004, 10:43 AM
Ale555
Scooby Regular

Shouldnīt there be a Spec-B to come with the STI gear Box and more sportive suspension??? I just canīt remember when itīll be...
Old 18 June 2004, 10:53 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Only Squeak that GOOner gets is from his new Pension Book when he collects his money on Thursday's.

LOL

John