New Car

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2000, 05:08 PM
Richie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks,

I just got a my Scoobie Turbo last week after waiting 4 months. I have noticed that at slow speeds say 30-40 and when cold it tends to speed up and slow down even without adding more accelerator. Is this normal?

Cheers,

Richie.
(Mica Red Scoobie Turbo with Gold Prodrive 7's - Bedford, UK)
Old 28 June 2000, 05:33 PM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Me thinks that would be the auto-choke!!!!
Old 28 June 2000, 09:23 PM
bizz
Scooby Newbie

has your car got air con
Old 28 June 2000, 09:33 PM
Richie
Scooby Regular

Nope no air con... that is getting fitted next week =) I notice the blips of extra speed in almost any gear, even after its been running for 5-10 mins. After is fully warm though it seems to stop, so praps it is the choke like letdown said.
Old 28 June 2000, 11:26 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Question

Yeah I get it too - assumed it was the autochoke, although does continue for a bit after the temperature is normal. Car is ok after a bit of a blast.

Would be interested to hear your comments after you've had the aircon fitted . . . see if you get a wonderful kettle boiling sound and a clunk whien the aircon switches on!

Andrew
3k miles MY00 aircon
Old 29 June 2000, 07:46 AM
Adan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi All,

Got my new MY00 turbo just over a month ago and it does what you describe but only for about the first 3-4 minutes. I have found it less noticeable in higher gears and it goes away if you put your foot down. But of coures you don't want to be doing that until the car warms up.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this. Now I won't worry.

Adan
Old 29 June 2000, 11:45 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Richie, how do you get your car to slow down even when adding more accelerator?

I don't have aircon, but have noticed that the engine system always expects my next action to be to accelerate, so it tends to keep the revs up. This can be more noticeable when the engine is cold and the "choke" is in action.

You'll get used to it.

MY00 10k miles and soot in exhaust pipe!
Old 29 June 2000, 04:47 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

I have noticed Barry's car seems to slow down when he is accelerating, or is it that it just look like it is?

Otis
Old 29 June 2000, 04:59 PM
Richie
Scooby Regular

Ok, For clarification it slows down and speeds up without moving the accelerator

I spoke to my Scooby dealer and he said 'they all do that'.
Old 29 June 2000, 06:14 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> see if you get a wonderful kettle boiling >> sound and a clunk whien the aircon
>> switches on!

No on my 3 months old Scoob! This is with the aircon button.

Greg
Old 29 June 2000, 06:55 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

No probs with Air-con, but the car hesitates at about 2500-3000 when cold. As I am running the car in and using very light throttle this seems to exagirate the problem. If I give it a very small amount of throttle at about 2500 the car seems to slow as if it had a slight miss and then picks up and goes. Holding a steady throttle when cold increases and decreases the revs. I have only done 100 miles and do not want to drive the thing it just pisses me off. The thing will take about 6 months to run in the way i'm going. The last car was a beast this is a dog.
Bob
Old 29 June 2000, 07:14 PM
Richie
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stick with it bob is all I can say.... I used to own a Honda Integra Type R and now I just cant understand why I put up with that thing for so long.

Oh yeah, the chap at my local dealer also said that the speed/slowdown bursts are only on the newer 215bhp engines... the 208 ones didnt have this characteristic.
Old 29 June 2000, 07:19 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Bob,

What model do you have ?

bkar
Old 29 June 2000, 07:41 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

bob

cant say i've noticed this.

had my MY00 7 weeks

took it to birmingham today and had a smile on my face all the way. done 3300ish miles now and am so glad i spent the money on a scoob and not some 'standard' car ! best 22k i ever spent (or am likely to spend!!)

Andrew : i dont get any kettle boiling sound or clunk when switching on the air con either ?

Richie : i thought about the new mica red but decided the car stands out enough without that paint job ! wot was wrong with the Type R ? considered an Accord Type R before going for the scoob although never was that serious and didn't even test drive as i'd finally driven a scooby
Old 29 June 2000, 08:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOB - this is something I have been posting about for around a month now .... my MY00 has got 2500 on it now and seems to be getting better (or am I just driving round it?)

At my 1000 service I mentioned the hesitation at 2500-3000 rpm and they said that they could see no problem!!! well as we all know ....there is!!!

Some people swear by injector cleaner and to stay away from supermarket petrol (the stay away from cheap petrol is something I would agree with)- I have found SUL to be best at easing the problem but that is very very expensive of course ... maybe worth a try though??

Pete
Old 29 June 2000, 08:18 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ahhh, talking about soot in the exhaust - is this normal? Got tons of the stuff.

With the aircon, when I turn the fan on (A/C button already depressed) I get a loudish clunk from the engine, presumably as the compressor comes under load. Booked into the dealer to get it sorted. When driving though, can hear the aircon compressor in the background doing its kettle impression of pssssssssssshhhhh or something like that! Dealer said it was normal!

Andrew
Old 29 June 2000, 10:33 PM
Richie
Scooby Regular

I've run SUL only in my MY00 since I got it last week. Done close on 900 miles now. It still seems to be speeding up/slowing down of its own accord - and I am coming to the conclusion that it is doing it when its fully warm too. Its booked in for a service next week so i'll ask again about it.

Steve: The Integra was too loud. 8000+ revs with no sound proofing and no air con = only 16k miles after two and a bit years. It was fast yeah and had a nice low ride - shame it needed cogging down a gear or two to get any acceleration of it. Oh yeah another thing... 190bhp into two front tyres in the wet = no movement off the line, or straight on when on a bend

Also the Red Mica looks the dogs nads along side the Speedline 7's

Oh yeah, is the driver of the silver scooby that waved on Tavistock St, Bedford anyone that frequents here ?

Old 05 July 2000, 12:14 AM
Richie
Scooby Regular

Jules - I also have the hesitation. I took the dealers MY00 demo out too. It also had it. However its not really like a hesitation, more like little bursts of speed, followed instantly by a small reduction of speed.

My dealer is Quenby in Baldock. Nice chaps =)

Perhaps it is what they do, but if yours is more of a hesitation I would go back and ask them to road test it for you - and perhaps test a demo or something.
Old 05 July 2000, 12:36 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Richie. I've a UK MY00 with Air con (about 5 months old with roughly 5000 miles on the clock). I get the same speed up / slow down effect when cold so I shouldn't worry too much. Seems to dissapear after I've done 3 or 4 miles.

APJ, I get no funny noises from my air con at all. It just gets cold when I push the button. I suggest you get your dealer to have a look.

Bob, it does get better. Honest (after I did keep up with you on the Swindon meet a few weeks back, even if you do claim you weren't trying )

Cheers,
Iain
Old 05 July 2000, 07:54 AM
Julian
Scooby Regular

Richie,

How's the hesitation after the service? Is it still there? If not, what did the dealer do? Who is your dealer?

Why so many questions? I've had this problem since day one and my dealer has simply said they all do that there's no fault - when there obviously is (both cold and hot 2500 - 3000 hesitation). I'm giving them one more chance to address this and if I'm still not satisfied I'm looking for another dealer.

Julian
MY99
Old 05 July 2000, 08:09 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Julian,

If it's any help. I've got a MY99 turbo and it has no such hesitation.
However, I did have a bad mis-fire problem that turned out to be the O2 sensor in ther Turbo (I think it's also called the lambda sensor).
It took a few visits to the dealer to set it up properly and dial out the hesitation.

I'm not saying this is the problem with yours but it might be a starter for the dealer.

Good luck.

blubs
Old 05 July 2000, 08:55 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Here's my 2p...

MY00, no air-con, 3400 miles (ish)
Only ever run on SUL.
Loads of soot in exhaust.
Loads of insects stuck to bonnet

- Don't seem to have this problem everybody's describing...
Will look out for it though.
Old 05 July 2000, 12:55 PM
Richie
Scooby Regular

APJ - just got the car back today with the A/C fitted... and yeah it makes a boiling kettle type sound when the A/C turns on. My brothers Scooby makes the same kettle sound too when he switches on his A/C. Ho hum.