Sponsored by:

Suspected someone driving my car

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2004, 01:15 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspected someone driving my car

Is there anything I can do if I suspected someone drove my car while having some work done on it?
I've no solid evidence but I took a picture of the mileage before it went in and afterwards, ok only 4 miles different but it's not the point.
Old 04 June 2004, 01:18 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suppose it depends what work was being done as the gararge may claim it was required! TBH as much as it would pi55 me off, 4 miles ain't alot. I say just have a quiet word with the gararge and see the reaction!
Old 04 June 2004, 01:32 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

The work being done was fitting some stereo equipment, and I agree 4 miles are not alot, but 4 miles which could be potentially thrashing the car from cold is what I'm most worried about.
They wont take a Subaru out not to give it a good boot.
Old 04 June 2004, 01:40 PM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

You can look at this the other way if it's not ICE or interior stuff, you'd want them to test out what they've done properly or you'd not be happy driving around in an untested car.

When I took my car to just have a Turbo Timer & Gauges fitted, I wanted them to take it up the road (more so to test out my brakes), but I'd still have wanted them to, just incase they found something - you never know.
Old 04 June 2004, 01:47 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

I can appreciate it if it was something mechanical to do with the engine, but there was no need to take the car for a spin to check if the stereo is working.
Old 04 June 2004, 01:49 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

My 996 was in for a new panel recently (about 4 days) & at work one day someone commented that they "were behind me" in traffic that lunchtime.
I said no way as it was at a bodyshop & thought nothing more of it.
Picked the car up - got it home & when hoovering it out a few days later found McDonalds wrappers & coke cans under the passenger seat.
I dont eat Mc D's or drink coke so guess someone used it for a lunch-run & who knows what else ? Spoke to the manager but not much I can do about it really.....but pissed me off.

Ro.
Old 04 June 2004, 01:51 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

You do have solid evidence. The photo of the mileage before you took it in.

I would ask them why there are 4 miles extra on the car since you left it with them.
Old 04 June 2004, 01:52 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have often thought about this.

If I ever have to leave it with someone I think I will put the Dawes device on and set it to about 0.3 bar.

Then for example when you take it in to have say a stereo fitted and they comment that your car is slow as **** you can punch their lights out and know your car has thankfully not been thrashed.

Should not have to resort to this though, but seems likely to prevent car potentially been thrashed.

Damian.
Old 04 June 2004, 01:53 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

It is annoying cause you trust these people to do a job and not neglect their responsibilities or position. It's the fact not knowing what they could have done to it in that time. I don't suppose you could have got the police involved as there is no evidence they took it for a joy ride. I suppose it's just one of those things you have to be wary about when owning a nice performance car.
Old 04 June 2004, 01:57 PM
wrexxx
Scooby Regular

I always stay with my cars when any work carried out unless its an overnight thing, im just paranoid about someone thrashing my car around when I take so much car driving it myself...Never mind let it go mate this time...
Old 04 June 2004, 02:03 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

Have a word with the garage, see what there excuse is.

' Oh we had to take the car out after installing the stereo equipment to see if the speakers were loud enough whilst driving'

That should be good to see what excuse they come up with for that one!!
Old 04 June 2004, 03:03 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Another good readon for getting a decent Tracker fitted! Mine is with Dantrack, you can call them up and ask for a log of where the vehicle was for a given date, you could plot that on a map and even see the route they took!
Old 04 June 2004, 03:49 PM
duSTI's PA
Scooby Regular

Location: i no longer use Scoobynet please do not PM this account

Basically unless you have given them permission to drive it , no matter what you are having done to the car they should not be driving out of the perimiters of the garage etc, UNLESS they have your permission , it could be classed as theft but then this gets into a rather murkey grey area , my other half takes the day off if something has to be done to the car , I had a RX7 took it for a service (Mazda Garage)left it there, garage left keys in the car and someone walked in and nicked it , it was found in Brixton with a lot of things missing .
personally these are lovley cars and we all spend our hard earned money on them , It may have only of been 4 miles , but more accidents happen in the home than anywhere else (if you get what I mean)
Old 04 June 2004, 03:50 PM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

Its a garage - 4 miles is nothing, you're lucky they didnt use it for the butty runs every day and take it on a bit of a spin every dinner too.

At the end of the day it happens and the car is designed to take a fair bit of abuse - I woudnt worry about it.
Old 04 June 2004, 04:12 PM
adpd
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day it happens
True... it does happen, but that is no reason to tolerate it. A lot of things happen in this world, but we shouldn't be ignorant of them.

Definately have a word with the garage and voice your displeasure at the extra miles on your car. See how the management handle your complaint. If you get a satisfactory resolvement, then be happy. If not, don't let them have any more of your custom, and let all your friends and family know not to use their services.
Old 04 June 2004, 04:32 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Maybe they took it out to see if there was any interference, ie supression problems with the fit out.

just an idea, but i guess they could do it at idle.

Aston
Old 04 June 2004, 07:51 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

I guess not much damage can be done within 4 four miles.... Subaru Uk take the car out for a good run after a major service just to check temperatures etc... And i guess another garage may want to test their installation over some bumps etc... Wouldnt think theres much that could be done apart from not using their services in the future.....

All the best

Gareth
Old 04 June 2004, 09:40 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

FFS, this is *four miles* on a car we're talking about!

When you take the interior of a car apart, no matter how good you are there's a chance you might not get panels back in the right place exactly and that there'll be a squeak or a rattle.

Do you want them to check this out, or do you want no other nasty common working class person taking your pride and joy out?

If you don't want it driven, tell them when you take the car in.

Don't sweat this sort of stuff, you'll end up giving yourself high blood pressure. Just drive the 'kin car!

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 04 June 2004, 09:55 PM
Melina
Scooby Regular

It could be paranoia....
In Paris, I once handed my key to a voiturier (the ones that park the car for you). I asked him to park it in a protected space and he pointed to right where I was standing. Then when I handed him the key to go into the restaurant I saw him speeding around the block! It happens!
Old 04 June 2004, 10:13 PM
Azyman
Scooby Regular

i do no that some dealers sub there work out if they are to busy
and he could of been 2 miles away

this might sound silly but it is true in some cases
as a mate of mine works for a bmw dealler and they do the same

but i must admit when he started there he was the valater and he used to come pick me up in all kinds of customers cars so it deos happen

i would ask the garage to explain the milage
Old 04 June 2004, 11:13 PM
lightninSTi
Scooby Regular

I work very close with a japanese import company ... and there is no way they would take a car out that was in for fitting stereo...
On the other hand, if it were engine work ... or something that needed a test drive to make sure the problem it came in with... was rectify.. then thats a diffrent matter ...
So i would want too know where my car had been ...even if it were just 4 miles ..
Old 05 June 2004, 11:28 AM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can appreciate it if it was something mechanical to do with the engine, but there was no need to take the car for a spin to check if the stereo is working.<<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common misconception: Audio equipment CAN be affected by road surfaces...... so a four mile test would have credence in my books but, possibly a necessary evil..

However, garage employees using the punter's more tasty motors for trips has been going on since year dot. Human nature..... "Took one of them Nipponese Subaroos out at work today.... Not as fast as my mates Nova....init" ......
Old 05 June 2004, 03:13 PM
lightninSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MGJohn
>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can appreciate it if it was something mechanical to do with the engine, but there was no need to take the car for a spin to check if the stereo is working.<<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common misconception: Audio equipment CAN be affected by road surfaces...... so a four mile test would have credence in my books but, possibly a necessary evil..

However, garage employees using the punter's more tasty motors for trips has been going on since year dot. Human nature..... "Took one of them Nipponese Subaroos out at work today.... Not as fast as my mates Nova....init" ......
Just a little thought on the above ... best find a garage where they sell prestigious vehicles..

That maybe not so tempting, if they sell cars of such high calibre..
I am only talking form my own experience, but i don't doubt others do take the p*ss
I say treat others, how you would like to be treated.. It comes down to respect.. init =)
Old 05 June 2004, 04:12 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

duSTI's PA

it could be classed as theft but then this gets into a rather murkey grey area
In your dreams

They have the car with your knowledge and consent.
They have no intention to deprive you of your car.
Their use of the car is not felonious.
They can maybe justify driving your car, especially if you have submitted it to them for repairs etc.

Nothing about these circumstances constitutes theft.

Chiark,

When you take the interior of a car apart, no matter how good you are there's a chance you might not get panels back in the right place exactly and that there'll be a squeak or a rattle.

Do you want them to check this out, or do you want no other nasty common working class person taking your pride and joy out?
You trying to tell me that fitting a head unit or door speakers justifies a road test, merely because trim has been removed/refitted. That is the lamest excuse for a technician road testing a car I have ever heard! LMAO

You know fine well that the trim WILL sqeak, regardless of whether it is refitted correctly or not! They are Subaru's..... its what they do!

Personally, I wouldn't be happy unless they give me damn good reason as to why it had been driven, and I have to say that in this instance I don't think I could be convinced it was required.

Regardless of whether long term damage is suffered or not, do YOU want your scoob razzed from cold by someone who is probably unfamiliar with the cars, hence their "eagerness" to take it for a spin. It is the principle, and they shouldn't do it. Bottom line.

A few years back I had an alarm fitted to my Clio Williams and the car clocked up some 30 miles during fitment, plus had more fuel in it than when I took it in!!!!!

I challenged them, but since I had no proof, I never had a leg to stand on, plus they denied it.

Can't blame them, could you justify a 30 mile road test to make sure the alarm had been fitted correctly?
Old 05 June 2004, 05:39 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

When my car goes in for service/work I dont bother setting the trip meter as I dont really care where its been and how many miles its done, if you take it respectable outlets then you shouldn't have to worry.
I had eibach's and geometry done today at power engineering and they done a good road test to make sure there were no issues and a brilliant job to boot

andy
Old 06 June 2004, 06:05 AM
owbow
Scooby Regular

....are there any GATSO cameras within a 2 mile radius of the garage? If so surely you need the garage to confirm and agree that the car was driven, cos if you don't have their agreement now that the car WAS driven, you may have difficulty getting it at a later date, should a nasty brown envelope turn up at YOUR door...?

Personally though, i've worked at garages years ago, and hell yeah we went spinning about in customer's cars... here there and everywhere, fetching parts, food etc etc.. so it's nothing new mate! in fact i seem to remember the 1st time i went over 120mph was 'road testing' a Quattro when i was 17... younger dumber days indeed!

Owain
Old 06 June 2004, 11:03 AM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Azyman
i do no that some dealers sub there work out if they are to busy
and he could of been 2 miles away

i would ask the garage to explain the milage
I agree. When Subaru fitted my Tracker, they didn't actually fit it... someone came and picked it up and drove it to an authorised installer on the other side of town.

I have also been to a dealer who has the servicing department at a different location to where you drop the car off, so they always add mileage whatever they do.

Also, as above.... it is only a car. If they crashed it, get upset, if not, stop worrying.
Old 07 June 2004, 12:49 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Some fantastic comments, but I don't see my Subaru "as just a car" so to speak. I saved long and hard to buy a brand new Subaru for £25k at the age of 23, and I treat the car immacualtely. No thrashing till the engines warmed up, always let the engine cool after, I don't appreciate it if someone has driven it hard from cold. If they needed to take it out for any reason, they had my number so why not phone to get permission??? If it is a mini or something then I wouldn't worry so much. Luckily I don't recall any speed camera's within the radius, but what difference does it make if it's 4 or 40 miles? Driven hard from cold will do damage within the first few miles.
Old 07 June 2004, 02:00 PM
lightninSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevenuk300 still
Some fantastic comments, but I don't see my Subaru "as just a car" so to speak. I saved long and hard to buy a brand new Subaru for £25k at the age of 23, and I treat the car immacualtely. No thrashing till the engines warmed up, always let the engine cool after, I don't appreciate it if someone has driven it hard from cold. If they needed to take it out for any reason, they had my number so why not phone to get permission??? If it is a mini or something then I wouldn't worry so much. Luckily I don't recall any speed camera's within the radius, but what difference does it make if it's 4 or 40 miles? Driven hard from cold will do damage within the first few miles.
well said m8 .. agreed strongly
Old 07 June 2004, 03:13 PM
MikT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevenuk300 still
I don't see my Subaru "as just a car" so to speak.
Reality check. IT'S A CAR!

Quick Reply: Suspected someone driving my car