Insurance Scam???

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2000, 01:52 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry

Is this a scam?

Like most people out there I generally look for the best deal when it comes around to insurance renewal time. Over the years insurance companies have made quite a few bob out of me. When I bought the Scoob last year I had to change insurance company because my current scheme would not accept it. I spent hours calling brokers and finally decided to accept what I considered a reasonable quote. I received my cover note (with many inaccuracies) plus my application (again may inaccuracies) which I returned a number of times before they got it right. I then had to chase for cover notes as the certificate did not come through for three or four months. I have never had a policy sent and have requested one repeatedly. Last time I enquired they told me that they were assessing how much additional premium was due because of my accident (which I had told them about and which was three years old anyway).

By this time my wife's insurance had come up and I went to the same brokers for a quote, which turned out to be cheaper than the current policy by £70, so we changed. Again, no cover notes or certificate for months. Then upon chasing my wife was told that they were reassessing the premium. We then had a demand for a further £112 because the car is kept in the road overnight (which they already knew). So now we've had the policy for four months, and if we cancel will lose pro-rata because they will not give a refund.

It strikes me that the broker is pulling a fast one - quoting low premiums to get the business, then increasing the cost once you are committed.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Apologies for the length of this post.
Old 04 July 2000, 02:04 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Time for a bit of naming and shaming I feel

If you really want to have a go at the broker then contact the insurance ombudsman, sorry can't remember the number.

The issue here is will the broker or insurance company pay out if you have to make a claim whilst they are still querying your details or asking for more premiums not a problem I'd want to get involved with.

Hope you get it sorted

Yex - with those w*****s at Admiral, but not after 31 July hurrah

Must learn to spell

[This message has been edited by Yex (edited 04-07-2000).]
Old 04 July 2000, 03:21 PM
adamson
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

When I was with Bennetts they took months and months to issue the actual Certificate of Insurance despite me paying the full premium at the beginning.

In the end, I simply moved back to Privilege at renewal time amd voewed never to use them again.

Their attitude to the paying customer was crap.

Craig.
Old 04 July 2000, 03:35 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

It can take a long time for the official papers.

Who is the insurance company underwriting your policy, not the broker?
Try to contact them, although this may take a little time. The insurance company will be interested. If your really pissed, write to the MD, this will be taken VERY seriously.

The GISC (general insurance standars council) is just being setup to cover fair treatment for customers. It will be worth checking in the future if who you are insured with has signed up to this.

Oh by the way, Ive suspected a few dodgy brokers may work this way, send you a few cover notes until you forget then never actually tell the ins co about you, and pocket the premium.

robski
Old 04 July 2000, 03:39 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

I am currently with Bell Direct and I have to say I have been completely satisfied with them so far. My documents were delivered before the policy even began and I have had to make two changes to my details so far. On both occasions the updated insurance certificate was delivered to me within 3 working days.

Anyone any experience with making a claim with Bell Direct??
Old 04 July 2000, 04:25 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Angry

Also be aware that a lot of companies don't contribute to, and do not fall under the eye of the Insurance Ombudsmen. If they are not members you can't use him (her).
Old 04 July 2000, 04:33 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

I sent an e-mail to the Insurance Ombudsman about unfair practices and their stance om them, and have never received a reply!! Doesn't bode well if you have a <B> real </B> complaint does it???

Geezer
Old 04 July 2000, 04:44 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Joey

Just in the process of completing a claim with Bell Direct after a nice young lady opened her car door into my passenger side door

Bell Direct have been pretty efficient and they had no problem using my main dealer to do the repairs (after getting the usual three quotes to do the work (my main dealer was the cheapest of the three)). They have already paid the garage and I am just waiting for the recovery of my excess from the other parties insurance Co. Whole process has taken just over a month.

On a separate note, one general word of warning for everyone with the policies that let you have a hire car when your's is in for repairs following an accident. The insurance co will only give you a hire car if you are using their authorised repair agent (as opposed to your local main dealer).