Sponsored by:

02 WRX STi Type UK Owners . . . Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2004, 09:22 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 02 WRX STi Type UK Owners . . . Help Please

I went to see a nice 2002 Prodrive Style example this evening but it left me with a few unanswered questions I hope you can help me with . . . .

1) I found no evidence, in either physical or literature form to say that the RAC Trackstar tracker (installed as standard ?) was still installed. How do you tell if the tracker is still installed and how would you register your subscription without any details ? Where would I find the necessary details ?

2) The details available were the service book, V5, alarm manual and vehicle manual, thats it. What other documentation should be available to me ? Warranty details ?

3) How long is mechanical warranty on the above car ? 2 Years ? If it has expired (the car is Apr 02), is it still possible to extend the warranty ?

4) The guy had clearly bought the car from an Auction having previously been owned by an Asian family in Knightsbridge. Would you be concerned that the car had been bought from an auction ? Anything to bear in mind ?

The car has only done 16,000 miles so it was in good shape apart from a few scrapes on the underside on the bumper etc.

Grateful of any advice you can offer . . .

Cheers,
Dunk
Old 28 May 2004, 09:31 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

Hello, the tracker should come with a certificate... Is that with the log books?

I had a tracker with my 99 (that was visable) but with my new 04 i cannot see any evidence that the tracker is installed.... Should be this way

Hope that helps a little

Gareth
Old 28 May 2004, 09:36 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

1 the trackstar is standard in the 03 sti not sure about 02
2 all the documents seem to be there
if its ppp make sure you get the certificate
3type uk warranty 3 years
4 it would not bother me one bit that it had been through an auction many people choose this way rather than the hassle of a private sale i would be more interested in the service history,given the car has only done 16k at the right price you could be on for bit of a catch there.
why not post the price for some more reaction

waky
Old 28 May 2004, 09:37 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks Gareth. Thats what I thought, surely an insurance company would want to see edvidence in the form of a certificate of the tracker ? If its not there, which I'm pretty sure it wasn't, would it be easy to get hold of another ?
Old 28 May 2004, 09:41 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers too Waky, would I need certificates for the warranty ? How would I register to take over the remaining warranty ?

There was a Ram Air sticker on the airbox, should this be there ?

Edit: The price was £17,495, but got him down to £16,850.
Old 28 May 2004, 09:45 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Erm, depends on which way you mean it. The presence of the sticker probably means there's a Ramair "filter" installed, and in this case the best thing to do is remove said component and replace it with one that works.
Old 28 May 2004, 09:49 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
I went to see a nice 2002 Prodrive Style example this evening but it left me with a few unanswered questions I hope you can help me with . . . .

1) I found no evidence, in either physical or literature form to say that the RAC Trackstar tracker (installed as standard ?) was still installed. How do you tell if the tracker is still installed and how would you register your subscription without any details ? Where would I find the necessary details ?
I've got a certificate to say it's been fitted. IM installed the tracker to all vehicles after they came into to country. If the car is an EU import, it's likely that it hasn't been fitted as IM wouldn't have had anything to do with it.

2) The details available were the service book, V5, alarm manual and vehicle manual, thats it. What other documentation should be available to me ? Warranty details ?
If I remember correctly (not got the details to hand), the warranty details were in the service book.

3) How long is mechanical warranty on the above car ? 2 Years ? If it has expired (the car is Apr 02), is it still possible to extend the warranty ?
3 years mechanical, with 5 year bodywork. Don't know if it can be extended, (I''m planning a few warranty voiding mods anyway so I haven't investigated this option)

4) The guy had clearly bought the car from an Auction having previously been owned by an Asian family in Knightsbridge. Would you be concerned that the car had been bought from an auction ? Anything to bear in mind ?
No experience of this I'm afraid....

The car has only done 16,000 miles so it was in good shape apart from a few scrapes on the underside on the bumper etc.
I wouldn't be too concerned about small scrapes to the underside of the bumper. I've managed to scrape mine once or twice when going over certain roads (hard knot pass in the Lake District for example).

I've had mine since new (Feb 2002), and so far have had nearly 30,000 miles of trouble free motoring, (plus a handful of track days). Driven all over Europe (all the way down to Italy) and can't fault the comfort.

If I had one criticism is that the performance is a bit flat before the turbo kicks in, but it's very easy to drive, quick when the turbo is on song, and most of this slight performance flatness can be fixed with the PPP, (or the TSL333 package which I'm thinking of getting).

Iain
Old 28 May 2004, 09:51 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

uk cars have warranty as matter of course that is from the date it was registered to 3 years after no need to register warranty if you buy the car it will automatic carry over to you.

as you value your warranty get rid of the ramjam thing and get a subaru sti filter

dosent sound to bad a price for a hardly used car
Old 28 May 2004, 09:51 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

There was a Ram Air sticker on the airbox, should this be there ?
Mine hasn't got one.

The price was £17,495, but got him down to £16,850.
Sounds like a reasonable price to me...
Old 28 May 2004, 10:19 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks guys, very helpful info I'll take a closer look at the service book when I go back. It had all the stamps, well for the the 2 services its required.

I had a feeling the "RamJam" () was an aftermarket jobbie, wasn't sure. I'll file somewhere safe

Its definitely a UK car, not an EU Import, so I assume it should have the Trackstar. Is there no way of checking ? A telltale box or wire somewhere perhaps ?
Old 28 May 2004, 10:27 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Its definitely a UK car, not an EU Import, so I assume it should have the Trackstar. Is there no way of checking ? A telltale box or wire somewhere perhaps ?
Don't know mate. On mine there's no indication of where the box is or anything, or even that it's installed, and it's probably not a good idea to advertise the fact on here just in case some thieving low life finds this thread.

There should be some sort of installation certificate with the documentation.
Old 28 May 2004, 10:33 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Its definitely a UK car, not an EU Import, so I assume it should have the Trackstar. Is there no way of checking ? A telltale box or wire somewhere perhaps ?
Just ring up RAC Trackstar and check!

Quote the reg number and see what they have to say.
Old 29 May 2004, 05:43 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

rac trackstars number 01234 759380
yes, the 02 sti had trackstar, ive just bought an evo 6 with trackstar, rung them up, gave reg number, they confirmed that it has it and sent out the paper work for me to sign and pay
mark
Old 29 May 2004, 09:13 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Superb, thanks everyone
Old 29 May 2004, 12:21 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MARK MORRIS
rac trackstars number 01234 759380
yes, the 02 sti had trackstar, ive just bought an evo 6 with trackstar, rung them up, gave reg number, they confirmed that it has it and sent out the paper work for me to sign and pay
mark
I hope you had to give more details than just the reg number, otherwise anyone could find out if your car had a tracker or not

DJ Dunk : Good luck with the purchase if you decide to go ahead, haven't seen you around recently, although I have seen your friend in the (pink ) TVR.
Old 29 May 2004, 12:57 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I tried calling RAC Trackstar this morning, but they are only open office hours

So what happens if your car gets nicked on a weekend . . . or god forbid a bank holiday

Jiggerypokery - Cheers, not seen you about either ? Still got the red MY03 ? Mines beginning to look standard now and certianly is quiet without the Scorpion Suzuka on it Going to look at a MY03 WRX with PPP tomorrow as an alternative too.

She's still got the Cerb AFAIK, must still have enough outfits to match it
Old 29 May 2004, 02:38 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

There's a 24 hour, 365 day number for emergenices, like the cars gone walkies, and another number for routine enquiries. You've obviously rung the latter.
Old 29 May 2004, 05:59 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Ah, well, cheers. Will have to leave it til Tuesday.