JDM Wagon Bhp

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2004, 08:20 PM
Mr Smiley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Wagon Bhp

Hi all,

I am considering buying a import JDM wagon from a guy I know who imports them. As far as I know all JDM come with 280bhp, is this right, and would I expect the same for a wagon as a saloon? I am thinking of a 94-96 model, and advice that you can give me would be great, always wanted a subaru and this looks like a good option.

Will I need to get it remapped for uk fuel or is optimax ok? If so how much will this cost me? Can you give me any pointers on what to look/ask for. He says it should take about 2 weeks to source and 6 to ship over here. Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Mark
Old 24 May 2004, 08:29 PM
WagonRich
Scooby Regular

It'll be either 220 or 240ps depending on year.

Rich
Old 24 May 2004, 08:30 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Smiley
Hi all,

I am considering buying a import JDM wagon from a guy I know who imports them. As far as I know all JDM come with 280bhp, is this right, and would I expect the same for a wagon as a saloon? I am thinking of a 94-96 model, and advice that you can give me would be great, always wanted a subaru and this looks like a good option.

Will I need to get it remapped for uk fuel or is optimax ok? If so how much will this cost me? Can you give me any pointers on what to look/ask for. He says it should take about 2 weeks to source and 6 to ship over here. Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Mark
The wagons in those years were 220bhp unless it's an STI wagon which was 250bhp.

Ideally a re-map is the way to go but Optimax and octane booster to get it as close to Jap fuel (102 ron) is ok. There is a map being done as we speak I believe and you'll find details if you do a search.

Is the guy going to sell it to you already SVA'd as the law has recently changed and will present yourself a problem if the car is anything but totally standard as per factory?
Old 24 May 2004, 09:07 PM
Mr Smiley
Scooby Newbie

Would it be easy to get it up to 260-80bhp? I believe that it will have a SVA sorted as part of the deal. Would you recommend the STI over the normal assuming that I can remap and increase the Bhp of the standard model? What appart from Bhp is the difference? In those years do the saloons have a bigger bhp? I would prefer a wagon but could go the saloon route. Who would you recomend insurance wise?

Thanks for the advice.....recon I will get my old car on the market and get some cash together!!
Old 24 May 2004, 09:20 PM
garethbrunt
Scooby Regular

not easy to get to 280 mate as it uses a smaller td04 turbo, this gives less lag but less power. The sti wagon has the td05, a bigger turbo as fitted to the saloon of the same year.

Gareth
Old 24 May 2004, 09:26 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Smiley
Would it be easy to get it up to 260-80bhp? I believe that it will have a SVA sorted as part of the deal. Would you recommend the STI over the normal assuming that I can remap and increase the Bhp of the standard model? What appart from Bhp is the difference? In those years do the saloons have a bigger bhp? I would prefer a wagon but could go the saloon route. Who would you recomend insurance wise?

Thanks for the advice.....recon I will get my old car on the market and get some cash together!!
A de-cat and remap should see those figures although more like 260bhp. Again, a search will point you to other peoples' cars rolling road print-outs and more details of what they have done.
The STI wagon is a much better bet if you can get hold of one, you start with more bhp and you get other STI goodies( do search) plus you get the 2 bigger spoilers on it's botty.
Check here for details FAO
Look in the insurance forum for details.
Old 25 May 2004, 01:01 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need the info off the VIN plate to determine which engine and hence power out put. Could be 220, 240, 250, 260 or 280.
Best to fit a knock link and probably AFR guage at an early date. Until then run on Optimax plus NF to be safe.
Old 25 May 2004, 11:01 PM
wideybrook
Scooby Regular

A 220 BHP / 240 BHP wagon can run on 97 RON without DET, no knock link or octane booster required, this is only neccessary on STI with more aggressive maps.

Actualy there are many wagons running around on 95RON without any problems.

You may find it difficult to get a manual as most JDM wagons are auto.

We currenty have 1 WRX here and 1 in Japan + 1 sti (280 bhp).

http://www.wrx.co.uk