Sponsored by:

gatso speed camara

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2004, 12:37 PM
lee green impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question gatso speed camara

can the above camara catch you speeding going towards it? there were no painted lines on my side of the road, this was at 3 am this morning whilest driving the work van,

Lee
Old 20 May 2004, 12:40 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lee green impreza
can the above camara catch you speeding going towards it? there were no painted lines on my side of the road, this was at 3 am this morning whilest driving the work van,

Lee
no mate, your fine
Old 20 May 2004, 12:42 PM
lee green impreza
Scooby Regular

why would it flash twice then mate??
Old 20 May 2004, 12:48 PM
roguck
Scooby Regular

2 flashes need to be taken so the speed may be calculated from the number of lines covered. It is an auto trigger, but they are not supposed to be reliable from the front.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:49 PM
Fixel
Scooby Regular

Gatsos aren't supposed to flash when you're heading towards them, but I've seen them flash oncoming traffic on a duel carrigeway before! Less chance of you getting done though, especially with no lines on your side of the road, but I'm not entirely sure.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:49 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beware!
are you SURE it was a Gatso/ The Truvelo camera is very similar, smaller in general, grey etc, BUT snaps from the front.
No white lines is the give away, i think you are ok. Most cameras flash with or without film, just to put the Sh*ts up everyone.
Bas*ard things, Bast*ard policy, makes more money than Glaxo!
Old 20 May 2004, 12:56 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

they do still flash if you go past them at certain speeds which trigger them, i think certain speeds fool it into thinking your travelling the other way.

i knew a copper and he said that they arent allowed to prosecute if the car is coming towards the camera, unless its the newer sort specifically designed to do this.

i speed up for the one near me, been flashed probaly 5+ times, never heard a thing.
Old 20 May 2004, 01:05 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

Let people know the road and someone might be able to tell you what camera and you chances.

Truvelo camera that gets you from the front

The normal camera the catches you from behind
Old 20 May 2004, 01:12 PM
Myk
Scooby Regular

If your sure it was a gatso then you are fine.

The police need two pictures as stated above to prosecute. The first picture taken would have a shot of you and your car, the second picture would be of an empty road.

Mike

PS I speed up through the local cameras when going through the wrong way just to waste the film (Obviously if conditions allow!)
Old 20 May 2004, 01:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Truvelo's don't flash IIRC. With them being forward facing it would be distracting to drivers, and the roads are dangerous enough with all these speeding drivers
Old 20 May 2004, 01:34 PM
Fixel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Truvelo's don't flash IIRC. With them being forward facing it would be distracting to drivers, and the roads are dangerous enough with all these speeding drivers
I got busted by one a month ago and it did flash. It wasn't dazzling at all, so I'm wondering if it was Infra Red or something. To my eyes, there was a definate flash though.
Old 20 May 2004, 03:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Fiwek
I got busted by one a month ago and it did flash. It wasn't dazzling at all, so I'm wondering if it was Infra Red or something. To my eyes, there was a definate flash though.
I'm waiting for the first court case where someone following a speeding driver loses control because of being blinded.

As stated before: b@stard things, b@stard policy, b@stard government!

Alcazar
Old 20 May 2004, 03:28 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

TruVelo's use an infrared flash gun with infrared sensitive film, but as the human eye can't see infrared, I'm not sure you would actually see anything.

Chris

Last edited by Chris L; 20 May 2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 20 May 2004, 03:33 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
TruVelo's use an infrared flash gun with infrared sensitive film, but as the human eye can't see infrared, I'm not sure you would actually see anything.

Chris
Correct Chris. The Truvelo flash is supposed to be invisible to the naked eye.
Old 20 May 2004, 03:45 PM
Fixel
Scooby Regular

I saw a flash from the camera and I got a ticket! It was definately a forward-facing Truvelo camera. It was dark and the camera was non-reflective grey, so it was a case of "oh ****, there's a... *******!".
Old 20 May 2004, 04:10 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Perhaps there is some compensation for low light levels at night, which might explain a 'flash', but generally speaking, you won't see a flash from a TruVelo - that's the whole point - it is meant to be non-intrusive and non-distracting to a driver.

Chris
Old 20 May 2004, 06:50 PM
Fixel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
it is meant to be non-intrusive and non-distracting to a driver.
Even though it flashed in my face, it was pretty much non-intrusive and non-distracting - it wasn't dazzling at all, which I found odd. Then confusion turned to anger...
Old 21 May 2004, 04:59 PM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

I have had a similar issue with Gatso's on the opposite side of the road flashing me when approaching. Its something to do with the angle of the beams it produces going over onto the opposite carriageway. You have triggered it but it has take a picture of the opposite side of the road....which is empty....or may have a pic of someone elses motor. It hasn't got you.

Truvelos are forward firing but do not flash as already stated for safety reasons
Old 21 May 2004, 05:17 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Talking

I heard they had started putting tiny people inside gatso's now - the benefits are two fold:

1 - Constant maintenance and security - the tiny chap on hand to ask people not to petrol bomb his tiny metal home.

2 - When the film runs out he orders more and in the meantime plays practical jokes on drivers by using his digital camera flash to make people think they have been caught for speeding when in fact they havent...

These little dudes are mischevious blighters - beware!!

P
Old 21 May 2004, 10:50 PM
tinhead
Scooby Regular

I thought Gatsos only flash once when travelling towards them. My nearest camera is on a 30 limit but but when facing the camera the limit is 60 so I take great pleasure in triggering it when some poor sod is going past it dead on the 30 limit. Its surprising how many people still slam on when travelling towards a camera, most people obviously don't know how they work.
While we are on the subject of Truvelo, how do they get away with discriminating against car drivers because bikers cannot be identified. I thought all laws had to apply to everybody equally?
Old 21 May 2004, 11:01 PM
buzz_lightyear
Scooby Regular

If they use infra-red light, wonder what would happen if you made a metal number plate and heated it up?
Where I live the buggers have a SPECS system that reads average speed over 2 miles. I used to drive an Alfa 156 (number plate was offset to near side) and the game was to either tuck in behind another car as you passed the camera or run alongside the left hand kerb. Got away with it and never got caught!

Cheers