Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed into my car and drove off !

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2004, 08:20 AM
andy-type r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Crashed into my car and drove off !

As above, but my wife was driving, with my 2 1/2 yr old daughter on board.
I have the number plate and a description of the car from a witness.
Is there any way of getting the address where the car should be registered.

The police say the car is not lost or stolen, but this means nothing now days.

Police say they will send a letter to the registered keeper requiring them to produce documents, but this could take 4-6 weeks.

Thanks in advanced!
Old 20 May 2004, 08:34 AM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

This happened to me a while ago m8 cost the guy £250 court costs and 5 points on his license. Will take a while as they have more rights than you.
Old 20 May 2004, 10:57 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Freedom of information act and all that good stuff you wont be able to get their address.
Old 20 May 2004, 11:35 AM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Contact DVLA:

I heard if you inform them there is a car on your land and you wish to contact the owner to have it removed they will give you the details.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:47 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Had this happen to me, they never found the car or driver. Advise carry a disposable camera in the car, when they drive off, take a few snaps of them and the car.
Old 20 May 2004, 01:31 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Similar happened to me. Notified the insurance company with all the details I had and they tracked them down.

Good Luck
Old 20 May 2004, 01:38 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

if you get even sketchy info from any source ie name and rough address give me a pm and ill look up electoral register records for their PROPER address may even have their telephone number......... but you didnt get the info from me
Old 20 May 2004, 08:00 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Just an idea, but could you not get an hpi done on it? It will cost you but could be worth it.
Old 20 May 2004, 09:10 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

This very same thing happened to me when I was 18 so we are talking 9 years ago. I was driving along a dual carriageway and after a bit of horn blowing at a taxi driver he decided to cut me up and clipped the front driverside wing.Had a camera on me and the two passengers in my car, so took pics of him.Thought about what best to do and decided not to follow him and beat the sh*t out of him but go straight to the police station and report it.There was silver paint from his car still on mine but the officer was not interested in that.He took a statement and told me that they would invite the taxi driver in to give a volountary statement which he didnt have to if he didnt want..GUESS WHAT?? he didnt want to give a statement.
Result= I had to pay myself and have wing repaired as couldnt afford to go through insurance due to high premiums..

If I had the same happen again I would forget the police and sort it myself...If you know what I mean
Old 20 May 2004, 09:19 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

This happened to a friend of mine. In this case the bloke legged it and left his car.

They never managed to trace him. Friends car written off, he is though claiming his excess back from some compensation fund a bit like the criminal injuries compensation fund. Can find more details if you need them.
Old 21 May 2004, 07:58 AM
andy-type r
Scooby Regular

Well, I have spoken to the DVLA and they are sending me a V888 form. This is for such cases. Each form/case is judged on it's own merits, so we will see. This is also how insurance companies get the info I believe. Failing that I do have another way. Just got to hope the car is registered at the right address.

Thanks for your replys.
Old 21 May 2004, 08:53 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

good luck mate, hope you get it sorted. its *******s like this that cause everyones insurance to sky rocket, very glad that no one was hurt
Old 21 May 2004, 09:19 AM
jk100
Scooby Regular

If anyone has been hit by an unregistered, uninsured vehicle, you have my sympathy...

I was hit by an transit van coming out of a pub car park. The driver of the van then ran off after the accident (definitely been drinking), leaving the van behind, and me needing a replacement wing for the Subaru. I informed the police, who told me that the van was unregistered, uninsured and there was nothing more that they could do unless they caught the van being driven. A few days later I spotted the van outside a council estate, kept seeing it driving around, and it always returned to the same place on the estate. Thinking I had a result, I informed the Police. My response was that they could not investigate further as I did not have a full address of the keeper (!), and they did not have the resources to investigate. I was then told that I should not try and pursue my own enquiries due concerns over my personal safety.

Unbelievable.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:32 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Question

Andy,
can you not bend the truth slightly and say your wife was injured in the crash then the police would have to investigate the offence then, and go see the b@stard who hit you, thus hopefully getting him done for leaving the scene of an accident, failing to stop, not reporting it within 24hrs, then when u have his details go round and say "HELLO"
Old 21 May 2004, 09:32 AM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

I can't believe all this - it's fekkin' outrageous! If you rob a £200 video of someone you'll get 3 months in nick - smack two grand's worth of damage into someone's car and drive off - and they don't want to know?

I came back to my car once and found the driver's door badly crunched in, no note. I phoned the police and they sent someone up to have a look. The next day he returned to the scene and knocked on the doors of the houses nearby. Someone had seen a builder's lorry hit my car, and they remembered the name. The police went to the company and confirmed that a driver had been in the area making a delivery - they paid for the damage to my car straight away.

Doesn't take much to earn a bit of respect - if only they can be arsed.
Old 21 May 2004, 11:40 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I got hit up the rear end by a driver November last year. He stopped to talk to me and wreaked of alcohol. He accused me of wanting a new car out of his insurance, then jumped in his car and drove off with his lights off (it was 11:15 at night). I had already took his registration and 999'ed it. The police said they would look out for him. I had to do a producer at the police station next day to find they had done nothing about it, even though I reported he was drunk and had left the scene. They didn't give a s**t. Got a letter 2 months later giving me the guys details (he lives in the next road!), but saying they were taking it no further!!!!. 6 months later I still haven't got my excess back, no compensation for injuries (me and the wife had whiplash) and even my insurance company can get no joy form his company, they say they are still investigating. He hit me straight up the back, what is there to investigate FFS. The lesson I have learned from this is that is someone hits you, call an ambulance as well as the police. If you tell the police someone is injured they have to do something about it straight away, at least that way they would have breathalised him at the time. The car was registered to him at his home address so it wasn't difficult to find him. See the guy driving round all the time in the village and he just laughs at me! Hopefully I'll have the last laugh when they finally get him to court.
Old 21 May 2004, 11:54 AM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

My mates and I were at a house party in Shawlands, Glasgow just before Christmas, his Golf gti was parked just up the road. When we went out to go into town, there was a bit of commotion up the road.
We went up to investigate to find my mates Golf completely destroyed with a gold Ford Probe stuck in the side of it and a Xantia taxi coming the other way had also been badly damaged. The police were already on the scene.
Turned out the young asian chap who was driving the Probe crawled out the car and walked away despite the taxi driver and his three burly male passengers being there.
Police had witness statements, descriptions, all the cars still in place, the lot.
And what came of it....NOTHING!
Old 21 May 2004, 03:59 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Lesson, if some one hits you, keep a sharp eye on them. My friend turned his back for a second and the bloke who had hit him legged it.
Old 21 May 2004, 05:18 PM
scoobybitch
Scooby Regular

Someone did it to me a couple of weeks ago, came off a roundabout & went to pull onto the cross voer for my driveway and a woman in a Dawoo wasn't looking and clipped the back end of my car. Lots of cursing & very loud wheel screech later I was off down the road after her beeping and indicating for her to pull over. Eventually she did and we exchanged details and I made a note of the reg. As soon as I got home rang the police and got an incident number with it being calssed as hit and run the told me if they were the wrong details that the police themselves would prosecute her for leaving the scene of a crime