WR1 Owners needed to give their review of car

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2004, 07:42 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile WR1 Owners needed to give their review of car

Hi,
I am still waiting for the delivery date for my WR1 but am hoping in the next two weeks.
Can any WR1 owners (lucky enought to have theirs) do a sort of review of the car and maybe what it is like compared to other scoobs they have owned/driven..
Thanks in advance
Ian

p.s I know its a pain writing a load of text about it but it would make us still waiting very happy
Old 11 May 2004, 08:20 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Has anyone actually taken delivery of one yet
Old 11 May 2004, 09:09 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
Has anyone actually taken delivery of one yet
yeah, there are people on here that have posted pics but I think they are too busy driving them to give us their full opinion of the vehicle.
Old 11 May 2004, 09:21 PM
GE
Scooby Newbie

when I get past the 1000 mile service I'll let you know, until then be safe in the knowlege that they look the biz....
Old 11 May 2004, 09:30 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GE
when I get past the 1000 mile service I'll let you know, until then be safe in the knowlege that they look the biz....
u tease!!!1

I hope you have done 999 miles and are just nipping 2 miles down the road to the shop in a minute
Old 11 May 2004, 11:21 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I have had the pleasure of driving a WR1, without restraint, although I don't own one.

As a standard car, it is by far the most sophisticated Scoob I have ever driven. Very rapid, incredible groundspeed. Over a humpy, bumpy B road it maintained an easy pace that puts a 911 in the shade.

Grip is truly fabulous, and you can hear the DCCD chatting away when it is in Auto mode. Also the turn in as the Suretrac comes on board is pretty special, a lot less understeer than normal, at least on the public road.

It is also very refined, and a very relaxing drive. Not laggy, pulls strongly from around 3,000rpm.

Personally my only criticism is the weight of 1470kgs, although in day to day driving it is clearly not a hinderance to the quality of this car. More of an asset.

Its just that I like doing things to cars that require less weight

Rannoch

PS Thanks to my sponsor for letting me have a proper drive in it
Old 12 May 2004, 07:33 AM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
I have had the pleasure of driving a WR1, without restraint, although I don't own one.

As a standard car, it is by far the most sophisticated Scoob I have ever driven. Very rapid, incredible groundspeed. Over a humpy, bumpy B road it maintained an easy pace that puts a 911 in the shade.

Grip is truly fabulous, and you can hear the DCCD chatting away when it is in Auto mode. Also the turn in as the Suretrac comes on board is pretty special, a lot less understeer than normal, at least on the public road.

It is also very refined, and a very relaxing drive. Not laggy, pulls strongly from around 3,000rpm.

Personally my only criticism is the weight of 1470kgs, although in day to day driving it is clearly not a hinderance to the quality of this car. More of an asset.

Its just that I like doing things to cars that require less weight

Rannoch

PS Thanks to my sponsor for letting me have a proper drive in it
cheers m8..its nice to hear peoples opinions that have drove one instead of all the people who have not.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:24 AM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Had a ride in one last friday and I can say its the best uk scoob yet. get mine tomorrow....
Old 12 May 2004, 12:26 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nice write up Rannoch and as always a pleasure to let you play

Ant was offered a play....but to be fair he declined and let me show him what it was like. I think he was suitably impressed and is now looking forward to picking up his own car all the more

With regard to the weight and as Rannoch has mentioned for everyday use it doesn't cause a problem...

Performance IMHO is superb....still have a smile on my face from driving it...3rd and 4th gear pull beautifully to the redline ...in fact all the gears do, its just more noticable in 3rd/4th.

I now have 1700+ miles on the clock (in the last 10 days!!) and it is already starting to losen up more and the springs are settling nicely.

The ride is excellent...in the last couple of STI's I had a small issue with the "bounce" encountered at certain speeds on Motorways and main roads....the WR1 doesn't not appear to have this trait at all....

Steering....well, whilst the quicker steering rack is not fitted (i.e. the steering is the same as the STI Type UK) I am more than happy with the feel....

Fuel....and I have had to fill it up quite a lot recently....but am getting circa 230 to a tank....and as I have said in other posts....I have been having a lot of fun in it and so not holding back on the loud pedal!!!

As has been said on previious threads IMHO the WR1 is (to date) the best officially UK sourced Subaru (i.e from main/approved/franchised Subaru UK dealers) available....and as for value for money...just right!!

Rum*

Originally Posted by WR1 Ant
Had a ride in one last friday and I can say its the best uk scoob yet. get mine tomorrow....
Old 14 May 2004, 09:55 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Rannoch

Chatting DCCD???
I dont hear that on my Scoob it must be because the JDM one is more sophisticated (but you can feel it )

Tony
Old 14 May 2004, 12:37 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Default LOL...

LOL.....I thought the reason the JDM ones didn't chatter was cos they don't understand us ???!!!

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Chatting DCCD???
I dont hear that on my Scoob it must be because the JDM one is more sophisticated (but you can feel it )

Tony
Old 14 May 2004, 04:49 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rum*
Steering....well, whilst the quicker steering rack is not fitted (i.e. the steering is the same as the STI Type UK) I am more than happy with the feel....
Rum*
Tom, forgive my ignorance, but I thought the WR1 had a quicker steering rack that the STI. Is this not the case?
Old 14 May 2004, 06:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope the WR1 has the fast rack (as per other type uk/euro cars), 2.6 locks, the quick rack as fitted to the JDM cars has a 2.2 lock, it also has a sticker in the rear window saying "Quick steering by STi", the only UK car to have this sticker was the 22B type UK

Tony
Old 17 May 2004, 10:25 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Glad you're enjoying you lovely new motor.

What that car needs is a nice plate like this or this
Old 17 May 2004, 10:43 PM
SIBBO
Scooby Regular

I can't wait to run mine but 4000rpm is still good fun
Old 17 May 2004, 11:38 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Chap who owns prodrives (something richardson?) brother has his

(he owns a pub over the road from me, used to have a mint 51 pate P1, guess his nice bro has given him something newer )