Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A challenge to greasemonkey (or similar expert)

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2004, 11:16 AM
sushi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A challenge to greasemonkey (or similar expert)

I watch with interest your disdain at the incorrect references used by this lot when describing their model and sub derivative.
So,Greasemonkey its time to educate us all with a definative list of the Impretza models (WRX spec as the base spec please) UK and import as far back to current as you care to go by model, spec, year,country of origin.

This should become an interesting thread!!
Old 09 May 2004, 11:19 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Easy, there were never any Impretza's built.
Old 09 May 2004, 11:19 AM
Goldeneye
Scooby Regular

Talking

It will.

Especially as the first thing GM will educate you on is how to spell 'Impreza'.
Old 09 May 2004, 11:20 AM
Goldeneye
Scooby Regular

Wink

lol @ Spoon.

Great minds and all that.
Old 09 May 2004, 11:41 AM
sushi
Scooby Regular

Forgiv the speling i liv in susex
Old 09 May 2004, 11:45 AM
ChrisB

Is that near Sussex?
Old 09 May 2004, 12:02 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Ok guys, no more banter, wait until gm or similar expert replies please

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2004, 12:07 PM
sushi
Scooby Regular

Question

Flaminsmart I guess a lot depends upon how you define education. Within this context are you referring to Spelling, Humour, Geographic knowledge, Typing skills or some other element as yet unspecified ?
Old 09 May 2004, 12:39 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

MY94 Original STi
MY96 STi 2
MY97 STi 3
MY98 STi 4
MY99 STi 5
MY00 STi 6
MY01 STi 7 (JDM only) STi Type UK (UK only)
MY02 STi 8 (JDM only) STi Type UK (UK only)
MY03 STi 9 (JDM only) STi Type UK (UK only)
MY04 STi 10 (JDM only) STi Type UK (UK only)

Thats how I understand it, anway

REV (NOT an expert)
Old 09 May 2004, 02:19 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

OK edits being done
Old 09 May 2004, 02:24 PM
yoza
BANNED

Why?

It was informative and correct, so far as I know.
Old 09 May 2004, 03:19 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

22B
Old 09 May 2004, 03:20 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I would think a link to the sidc faq will save everyone time and trouble...

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm
Old 09 May 2004, 03:40 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sushi
I watch with interest your disdain at the incorrect references used by this lot when describing their model and sub derivative.
So,Greasemonkey its time to educate us all with a definative list of the Impretza models (WRX spec as the base spec please) UK and import as far back to current as you care to go by model, spec, year,country of origin.

This should become an interesting thread!!
There's little point going back to year dot sushi as the classic shape cars are already covered very well elsewhere, not least in places like www.sidc.co.uk/faq.

The source of disdain (as you put it) is normally with regard to the new shape STi's, and the way that the numbering logic established by the classic shape cars is arbitrarily (and usually incorrectly) applied.

Subaru stopped giving the STi's an official "version number" when the classic shape STi version VI went out of production. There is a certain amount of justification in continuing this scheme with the Japanese market cars, but with STi's now being developed in parallel for the UK/European, RoW and US markets, the range is now becoming so bloated that even trying to lump them all in under the same numerical scheme is largely pointless. This is probably why Subaru stopped assigning numbers officially in the first place!

The reason why I've taken such a consistent line against the "number thing" so much is that it has been misapplied to the extent where nobody really knows what anybody else is talking about. If someone says they have an "STi8", you don't have a clue whether you're talking about a MY02, MY03, MY04, Japanese, UK, European or whatever car. If, on the other hand, someone tells you they've got an MY03 STi Type UK, you know exactly what car they're talking about without any further explanation being necessary.

As far as the new shape STi's go, the chronology is roughly as follows:

September 2000: 2001 Model Year New Age (bugeye) STi introduced in Japan Only. Cars available in two "mainstream" specification levels, as well as in two lightweight (aka Spec C) formats.

If you're going to give cars of this model year a number, they are STi7's. Note that the 2001 World Rally Car is called the S7, and the Prodrive built Group N cars are N7's.

September 2001: 2002 Model Year STi's rolled out in Japan with minor revisions over the 01MY cars. Still available in two mainstream and two lightweight formats. A limited edition car (the S202) also introduced based on the 17" Spec C

STi's also announced for UK, Europe and elsewhere in the world. Spec and trim level roughly equivalent to the base mainstream Jap STi. These cars are available in standard and "Prodrive Style" versions, with the latter sporting different (WRC lookalike) front bumper, high level rear aerofoil and other styling changes.

The 2002 World Rally Car is known as the S8, and Prodrive's Group N cars as N8's, and if you're going to give the roadcars of this model year a "number", they are STi8's.

September 2002: 2003 Model Year cars announced. Following the poor reception of the "bugeye", cars carry restyled front end with subtle matching modifications to rear bumper and light clusters.

Japanese STi range maintained (EL/GL/Spec C16/SpecC17) with a series of engine revisions (most notable being equal length tubular exhaust manifolds and twin scroll turbos).

UK/European STi adopts new exterior and high level rear aerofoil as standard, but does not adopt JDM engine changes due, primarily, to emissions regulations.

2003 World Rally Car known as S9, Prodrive Group N cars as N9's, and roadcars, if you're going to give them a number, are STi9's.

April 2003: STi announced for USA market with 2.5 litre engine producing 300bhp. This car adopts "2004 model year" designation.

September 2004: 2004 Model Year cars announced for Japan, UK/Europe and RoW. Changes seem relatively minor over 2003MY equivalents.

Series of "special build" cars announced for UK/Europe market with driver controlled centre differential, special interior, altered colour options and other detail changes. Sold in Europe as "Special" or "Solberg Edition". UK allocation given further detail changes developed by Prodrive under contract to International Motors, resulting car known as WR1.

2004 WR Car known as S10, Prodrive Group N car as N10, and thus again if you're going to use a number on the roadcars, it's STi10.

April 2004: 2005 Model Year cars announced for USA Market featuring altered rear wheelarch and bumper treatment (to permit wider wheels), antiroll bar changes and restyled interior, presumably alongside other less visible changes, at least some of which will be carried through to the Jap an UK/Eu/RoW cars whne they're announced later in the year.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 09 May 2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09 May 2004, 06:18 PM
sushi
Scooby Regular

Question

GM thanks for such a comprehensive reply. Not quite the Myriad of options I thought existed. One question.

I waited to buy an MY03 STI rather than the Bugeye MY2002 version not only because I preferred the exterior styling but I thought there were a number of technical/engineering enhancements incorporated.

Your reply suggests it was only styling?
Old 09 May 2004, 06:54 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sushi
GM thanks for such a comprehensive reply. Not quite the Myriad of options I thought existed.
No problemo.

I waited to buy an MY03 STI rather than the Bugeye MY2002 version not only because I preferred the exterior styling but I thought there were a number of technical/engineering enhancements incorporated.

Your reply suggests it was only styling?
Are you talking about an STi Type UK? If so it's a little bit disingenous to suggest that the only differences between the 2002 and 2003 cars are visual ones. Apart from anything else, the bigger intercooler scoop on the newer cars supplies more air, which results in lower charge temperatures, especially at higher road speeds. The newer frontal treatment also lowers the drag coefficient in comparison with the bugeye.

It is true however to say that the powertrain specification of the MY02 and MY03 STi Type UK's is largely the same. Not that there's anything exactly wrong with them though.
Old 09 May 2004, 07:34 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

can i have a gl please!!!

and what varients did that come in??

lol

Mart
Old 09 May 2004, 09:32 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
Apart from anything else, the bigger intercooler scoop on the newer cars supplies more air, which results in lower charge temperatures, especially at higher road speeds.
Cooling also benefits from a change in shape of the intercooler water spray nozzle & the air baffle plate in the scoop of the STi.

The newer frontal treatment also lowers the drag coefficient in comparison with the bugeye.
All 03 saloons now 0.33 Cd & the WRX 5-door 0.37 Cd.

It is true however to say that the powertrain specification of the MY02 and MY03 STi Type UK's is largely the same. Not that there's anything exactly wrong with them though.
Improved throttle response thanks to revision to the exhaust manifold(smoother flow of gases).Modified valve gear for better durability under conditions of extreme heat.STi has strengthened mounts for the transverse linkages & new cross-performance rods(whatever they are) giving reduction in geometry change during hard cornering.Also multiple-layer valves in shocks.

Other little known facts :-
Anti-raindrop door mirrors.
Active front head restraints
Dual-stage passenger airbag
Deadlocks & shielded door locks
Impact absorbing brake pedal
Pedestrian friendly wipers (does that mean they wave to pedestrians?)

Mark