Sponsored by:

Puncture woes!

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2004, 01:40 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Puncture woes!

Went out this morning to see a nice big nail sticking out of the sidewall of o/s rear tyre Pretty sure that means it is not fixable.

Question is my tyres (toyos) have about 1500 miles left on them all round, so should I just replace the two rears and wait for the fronts to wear down, change all four now or any chance of getting away with just changing this one tyre? What should I be paying for a tyre at the mo? It's a 98 turbo on std rims, 205/50/16 IIRC?

Don't want to have to change all four unless I really have too, I was hoping to get a new set of rennsports for my gixer track bike next week but looks like that may have to wait now

Cheers,

Matt
Old 05 May 2004, 02:08 PM
Benno
Scooby Regular

Had exact same problem, you can get some things like this repaired, might be worth checking with a tyre shop. I had to replace mine, as the other three tyres had close to new tread I thought it would be ok to just replace the one, i had no adverse effects from this. I think the most important thing is to get the same tyre size and tread pattern (model). I am skeptical as to how much difference a couple of mm difference between tyres makes although I may be wrong there. Otherwise you could try posting in wanted for a second hand tyre with a similar tread depth, you would probably get something as it is a pretty common tyre.
Benno
Old 05 May 2004, 02:21 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Benno
Otherwise you could try posting in wanted for a second hand tyre with a similar tread depth, you would probably get something as it is a pretty common tyre.
Benno
Thanks for that Benno, but i would be very sceptical about buying a very worn tyre second hand and fitting it on - unless I knew previous driver on that tyre and therefore its history. A blowout at high speed on a knackered tyre makes a new set of four seem good VFM!

Thanks for advice though, I am hoping that what you say about keeping the same size and type of tyre as others means replacing all four may not be needed

Matt.
Old 05 May 2004, 04:10 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Help!

Just spoken to local scooby garage and they say that changing the rear two is the minimum needed and that changing all four is what I should do

Is this really so or is it just them being carefull??

Matt.
Old 05 May 2004, 04:14 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

IMO Id normally just change the 1 tyre but with this 4wd malarky I wouldnt know, tbh Id say change the 2, all 4 is not nessesary, sounds like they are trying to get a sale IMO
Old 05 May 2004, 04:16 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

personally i think changing all four is over the top! had two fronts wear out on mine so just changed them probably for the better as they came different to the back tyres anyway. i replaced with the same as recommended by my local garage!

steve
Old 05 May 2004, 04:28 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Not quite sure where i stand then
Got new wheels with new toyo ts1 rubber about a year ago.

6 months ago went to Brands and unfortuantly I couldn't use my track day tyres, (busted locking wheel nut key ) so I used my road tyres and I didn't go so hard on them and I ended up replacing the front two tyres.

3 months ago, kerbed the o/s/f wheel and then a few days later when parking the bead went on the tyre so I had to replace that one, had been on the car 7 weeks

Now I have been rear ended pushing me into a kerb on the n/s/f dmaging the tyre wall and the wheel so this will be my 6th toyo tyre, each time its been just under £100 for fitting balancing ect If I had to replace all 4 tyres each time I wouldn't have been able to afford the air to fill em up.
Old 05 May 2004, 04:35 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Toyos in your size seem to be £70 (ish)

Have a look here...http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

...then start 'phoning the local tyre places for a price-match.

IMO a nail in the sidewall is curtains for the tyre. 1500 miles to go doesn't sound like a lot of tread left in any case.

If you can afford it and you can get a good deal, change all 4.

J.
Old 05 May 2004, 06:29 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Default A few quid saved then!

Thanks for the advice folks, having had a better look at the fronts I think they have a good couple of thousand miles left yet, so I think I'll just get the back two changed as looks like that isn't going to cause any problems!

Cheers,

Matt
Old 05 May 2004, 06:45 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could get 4 and offer the two fronts for sale track day tyres and all that
Old 05 May 2004, 07:00 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

If you credit card will take it, replace all four tyres, but keep the three (very) part worn in case a similar situation happens again. Thus, if you get another puncture with only a couple of thousand miles left on the set - you have a compatible replacement!!!

mb (who did a similar thing at 3000 miles to replacement, but that was because some scum-sh1te slashed three tyres - thus only one part-worn spare available )