Sponsored by:

Warranty help??

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2004, 05:00 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warranty help??

I have asked this question here before but never had any replies. However, it is now becoming quite important so I thought to try again.

Does anyone know how, or if, having my car serviced by a non-Subaru garage will impact upon my warranty and Subaru Assistance in years 2 and 3?

My local Subaru dealer was one of the unfortunates who bit the dust in the recent Subaru drive to favour fancy showrooms over good service but I would like to take the car back to them for the 10,000 mile service. The car is just over a year old and, clearly, I don't want to negate my warranty and assistance package.

I have written to Subaru but am still awaiting an answer. Perhaps this is an issue they are reluctant to tackle directly.

Also, does anyone know what the law on this is with all the changes to the block exemption and so on? As I understood it I could have the car serviced anywhere without a negative impact but I want this in writing from Subaru or want to see the law for myself to be sure.

Thanks.
Old 04 May 2004, 06:59 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Anyone got any clues on this one?
Old 04 May 2004, 07:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My servicing dealer (Mill Lane Engineering) went by the wayside - I asked them whether my warranty would suffer if they still serviced my car.

They said, yes, it would make it null and void as my warranty was worded in such a way........however, I think there is a new law out to prevent that clause being used (an EU Directive was it?) [But only on new warranties as I understand?]

For the extra cost I just played safe and now take it to Swindon!

Indeed, its there for its BIG 60,000mile service tomorrow - BIG MONEY!

Pete
Old 04 May 2004, 07:30 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

Yes i think it will have an impact..... I've asked the same question before and also subaru - any servicing has to be done by them --- but i've also heared another story.... If you buy all the servicing parts from subaru they may stamp your book? Get another garage to fit them.

Gareth

from http://www.subaru-impreza.org
Old 04 May 2004, 08:52 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Advise I.M that under the terms of the B.E.R you believe that you are entitled to service your car at the supplying dealer which has since reqlinquished the Subaru franchise. This is on the basis that the parts are genuine Subaru parts or equivalent, and that the service will be carried out in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Advise them that unless you have received a reply by xxth May tot he contrary, you will assume that you are meeting your responsibilities in respect of the warranty
Old 04 May 2004, 09:42 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

There was a loop hole left in the Block Excemption Ruling of October 2003 that states a car manufacturer can tie a buyer to servicing at a franchised dealer to keep the warranty valid. The EU commisioners have left it to the member states to close this loop hole if they feel that it is uncompetitive. The OFT have told the car manufacturers that they should remove this clause in their warranty. Some have but others such as Subaru have not. They are going to review this situation in the first half of this year. There is a full report that the OFT carried out late last year on there website which explains it all.

Si.
Old 05 May 2004, 06:47 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will keep the pressure on Subaru UK for a written answer as I need to know where I stand. I have decided, all things still being equal, to sell the car when it is 2 years old so clearly still having a years worth of warranty is a good selling point; I don't want to lose that.

Unfortunately I will not be buying another car from a company that seems to change dealers at random, though I might buy again from the dealer they have just abandoned. I suspect that the recent behaviour of Subaru UK has annoyed a lot of people and wonder if their new "image" will allow them to make up for the custom they are going to lose.
Old 05 May 2004, 08:39 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Unfortunately I will not be buying another car from a company that seems to change dealers at random, though I might buy again from the dealer they have just abandoned. I suspect that the recent behaviour of Subaru UK has annoyed a lot of people and wonder if their new "image" will allow them to make up for the custom they are going to lose.
I think that a lot of people are feeling more and more along the same lines, B.E.R or not. Interesting that they have brought in Free servicing on the turbo Impreza for the first time ever - says something about the competition.

I will own my 7th Subaru at some point but the last year with Skoda has been a very happy and cheap one for me. It even takes track days in its stride.