Sponsored by:

Sticky subject???

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2004, 11:09 PM
NE-Matt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replicas??

Hi, another newbie here so first off "Hi" to you all!!

Before you ask I don't own or drive a scoob, being only 22 this year the WRX is going to have to wait a year or 10!! I've been a fan of the Impreza for years now (since watching colin mcrae win the wrc back in the day), I've even got my fiance to promise I can get a wrx on my 30th birthday. But anyways onto the "sticky subject", I can't affoard to buy or run the impreza i'd love to own one day however I was thinking the other day "why do i love the impreza so much??", the answers I came up with were 1) the look of the car 2) the sound of the car. This got me thinking, what about a wrx replica??

I've looked into prices (both purchase and insurance) for a mid '90's 1.6 GL 2wd and they are within what I could manage. The plan then would be to first source the key wrx parts (bumpers,skirts,bonnet,rear wing,wheels) and basically make the GL look like a wrx. What are your views on this??

Personally I've never been a fan of "look a like" cars but I'd never badge the car what it isn't, i'd leave it unbadged as to the true car fan they will know it's not a real one!!

just basically what I'm asking is what are peoples views on replicas?? Does anyone own one?? Also what is the standard impreza like compared to the higher end models?? Do they share the same basic shell?? Is it worth paying extra for the awd over the 2wd model??

Basically I'm looking at finding an affoardable way for a young un like meself to get into, in my opinion, one of the best looking cars out there!!

Cheers!

Matt

MSN: learn_to_hate_me@hotmail.com

Last edited by NE-Matt; 01 May 2004 at 11:37 PM. Reason: title was a bit confusing!!
Old 01 May 2004, 11:37 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Basically I'm looking at finding an affoardable way for a young un like meself to get into, in my opinion, one of the best looking cars out there!!
Welcome to SN Matt

Ok my advice, don't waste money with a 1.6, instead get some extra hours in at work, bit of overtime & you'll soon manage to afford an early wrx.

Have a look at www.autotrader.co.uk to give you an idea, alot cheaper than you think, insurance should be managable at 22, I would looking in the insurance forum on here for contact details.

btw I'm 23, insured with Tescos on a STi.

Hope that helps, you really cant afford to miss out till your 30
Old 01 May 2004, 11:40 PM
NE-Matt
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I think a "real" wrx is going to be totally out of the question for a few years unfortunatly. Just can't affoard it on my £10,000 a year salary with no overtime available I think even a sport is still gonna be too £££

Matt
Old 01 May 2004, 11:43 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Mat,

10K is poor , get yourself in gear lad, time for a look round for another job . You'll easily get 40% ££££ with a good CV, Suit etc
Old 01 May 2004, 11:47 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Visit here

www.imprezasport.net

N/A site, you will get some good advise for the more cost effective side of scooby ownership.... well that's partly true until you get the modding bug lol
Lots of the members are just starting out, so they are in the position that you are looking at... at the moment.

Simon
Old 01 May 2004, 11:47 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

if u do it right m8 they can look dam good,just dont race anyone lol

but its a good way to have 1 if u cannt afford the wrx yet

my missus told me i could have a 22B for my 40th got it last year at 34
Old 01 May 2004, 11:48 PM
NE-Matt
Scooby Newbie

haha, i know i know, £10k is a bit poor but it's an easy job and i'm currently driving a 1994 modified mini with £400 insurance a year!! Starting to grow out of minis to be honest, need something a bit bigger,reliable and more suited to m'way driving as the fiance is currently at uni in London and I'm up here in the North East. Allways had a thing about saloons (i used to have a hyundai lantra 1.6 ......sorry!!) and an impreza is a dream car!!

Matt
Old 01 May 2004, 11:49 PM
NE-Matt
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the link Simon!

Matt
Old 01 May 2004, 11:53 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No worries Matt, it just gives you another option to consider

Simon
Old 02 May 2004, 12:52 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

wot u got done to the mini minis still love them
Old 02 May 2004, 03:27 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just get one anyway!

i'm skint and i just bought a 95 sti! financial suicide i know but ive ben waiting years to get one and my patience ran out!

worse comes to worse i've got a nice personalised plate to sell!

have you considered getting an evening job in a bar/pub or simular? thats what i did, you'll be suprised how much you notice an extra £70 a week...and believe me its worth it, pretty much all my mates have said, "i'm getting a scooby now"!

btw i'm 22, sti v ltd, £1000 fully comp with elephant.....

and my cars goes ffffffffffffffffffffffffffast!
Old 02 May 2004, 04:42 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Two ways of looking at it <removes insane scoobynet head>....

1. You are very young and in a (I guess) stable relationship which will need to progress or it will end (trust me). Any spare cash at this stage of life is better used to establish security a little (and I do mean little) later. Any car (except the odd collectable which you can't afford either) is a depreciating asset, ie you will only EVER lose money, whilst you could really do with some money to get a home, a fridge, a sofa, and then probably a pram, a carrycot...... OK I'll stop that bit before I make myself ill. When you 1st buy a property it is a struggle, but quite quickly normally your earnings increase and your mortgage seems cheap and you then either move up, or spend some of your new wealth on silly toys.

<replace scoobynet head>

2. Sod the house, lose the girl and get a Scoob so you can hang about with a load of single 30 somethings and have single subject conversations and end up flogging the car when you're made redundant from yet another IT position, having spent 000's on mods that no-one will buy on the car, so they all have to come of and be sold individually on here and ebay. But you will have a lot of fun

For the record, I waited 'til I was 34 to get mine. Drove sporty cars from 25 on, but also got the house and girl. Don't mention those other little things though, I've managed to dodge that one thus far

Edited to add.....

Forgot your intitial question. Don't do a replica, they are generally quite sad IMHO. I have a WRX, and would never consider trying to make it look like an STi, although some bits might enhance the looks. The beauty of these cars is not aesthetic, after all they are just ugly japanese saloons with big wings, silly scoops and pink and gold (eaugh!) detailing. The joy is in the driving experience, which results in an endearment whereby the looks become appealing, just. A bit like that fat bird we've all known who is an excellent jump and superb BJ. We all have/would/do, and would again, but not because she's beautiful Given the choice I'd have a DB9, a 360 or a 911, much the same as given the choice I'd have Kiera Knightley and Kate Beckinsdale either side of me every night. But as I'm poor and ugly I make do, and so should you, maybe, if you like......

Last edited by corradoboy; 02 May 2004 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02 May 2004, 05:42 AM
uk95scooby
Scooby Regular

Just get yourself a standard impreza turbo uk model ! they alot cheaper than the wrx or alike to insure .. and they have nearly as much poke in em !!
Old 02 May 2004, 08:34 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"a mid '90's 1.6 GL 2wd "

I didn't know Subaru made anything other than 4WD vehicles.
Old 02 May 2004, 10:26 AM
c7blue
Scooby Regular

just brilliant corrado boy, exactly the dilmemas i'm (we all??) going thru at the mo' trying to justify a set of wheels for the 2000 turbo wagon i could never afford in the first place and is now slowly(??) bankrupting me. loving it!!
Old 02 May 2004, 10:39 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

if you are in the North East, then you might have seen one of our customer's cars.....................exactly what you are talking about (1.6 FWD impreza), with WRX bumpers, spoiler, rally graphix and a nice set of Speedlines...................looks the part, not to everyone's taste but he's happy and seems to fool plenty of peeps who keep asking me about the new rally car and who i built it for??!!? LOL.................

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 02 May 2004, 10:50 AM
NE-Matt
Scooby Newbie

Man this board moves fast, plenty of posts!! i like!!

Where do I start:

Corradoboy: thats a good way of putting it mate, the first reason is why i think i a "real" impreza is out of the question at the mo, putting my sensible hat on, I'm still currently living with me dad, and Lucy is gonna be back from uni in a couple of years so we're gonna need to find a place of our own really, i don't want to have crippling car/insurance payments restricting my next few years. Mind you i do thing these ugly jap cars with wings and bumpers are absolutly stunning to look at!! (i'm sad, i like saloons, hence the hyundai! :S)

wez_sti: £1000 fully comp on a sti at 22!! Thats bloody amazing!!! The whole "financial suicide" part of your post aint filling me with confidence tho!! lol

scooby_si: Theres mini fans everywhere!! It's a 1994 Mini Tahiti (limited edition of 500) Had a body rebuild a year ago this week including full Tahiti Blue Pearl respray. Was totaly standard when I got me hands on it, it isn't now! It's currently running on 10" (yes 10"!!) alloys with a cooper s brake set up, 10x6 Mamba alloys with Falkens, group 5 wheels arches, cooper grill, angel eye headlights, clear flat front indicators (rare), clear lenses all round, stage one engine upgrade with 2" stainless straight thru to back box with twin centre exit dtm (cat removed), Interior is pretty much standard as rover didn't do a bad job of it, added chrome door furniture, 12" mountney steering wheels, classic 8-ball gear **** (stolen of course ), door pocket mounted 12" neons (blue), JVC single CD head unit with Kenwood 6.5" components up front and 12" sub (i like that my sub is bigger than the wheels! ) in the boot with a couple of amps squeezed in there too.

If I don't go for this whole scooby idea i'm very tempted to drop a turbo lump in the mini, just need to find a non shagged metro turbo, rocking horse **** anyone??

Matt
Old 02 May 2004, 11:08 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Id be looking into a UK Turbo.
Old 02 May 2004, 02:47 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

10K salary I wouldn't bother getting a scoob turbo as they're cost $hit loads to run/own. I'm on double your salary (plus) at the minute and I find it a struggle....mind you my financial situation wasnt so bad when I purchased the car @ 21yrs old in max income tax band

I wouldn't even bother getting one on my current salary but I'm stuck with the car and its running costs for now.

But it still makes me
Old 02 May 2004, 06:08 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

on a 10k sallery you would probably use half of that in fuel and service bills per year, not worth doing IMO
Old 02 May 2004, 06:41 PM
Scooby-Mike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

HI MATE, JUST BROUGHT A 97 IMPREZA 2000 TURBO. I'M ALSO 22 & ON A CRAP SALARY(NOT AS BAD AS YOURS!!) GOT INSURED THROUGH TESCO FOR UNDER £900 2 YRS NO CLAIMS, WITH MODDED EXHAUST AND FILTER.
NOT REGRETTING THE CHANGE TO IMPREZAS, THEY ARE THE BEST THING I'VE EVEN DRIVEN. IF I WAS YOU I WOULD GO FOR IT. NOT A WRX YET THOUGH.