Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Are people really this vindictive?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2004, 11:54 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are people really this vindictive?

I parked our Scoob in a monitored and manned multi storey car park while we went to the cinema last night. The car park was fairly empty and I parked the car well away from the exits on it's own with plenty of empty spaces around it, but crucially under the nose of a CCTV camera.

Came back to the car to find a beat up Mondeo parked next to it. Gave side of car a quick glance, all seemed OK and drove home. Under the garage lights at home caught site of what looked like a door dent so as the car was pretty dirty I cleaned the door off and had another look. Damn - a nice 3 inch crease dent with minor paint damage.

Phoned the car park this morning and they had a look at the CCTV tape from last night. They just called back to say that the people getting out of the Mondeo did the damage and even looked at the dent and then laughed before walking away.

If I want to pursue it I have to hand it over to the police which of course will be a waste of time.

Why do people do this? It makes my blood boil. Why park next to the car when there are mases of other empty spaces all around? Why be so careless? Why is this country so full of *******?

Last of all does anyone know whether these dent removal people can sort crease dents or is it even worth bothering?

tiggers.
Old 22 April 2004, 11:57 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that m8 I hate people that think the rest of us owe them a liveing.
Old 22 April 2004, 12:03 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd get their reg number and the tape and report it! *******
Old 22 April 2004, 12:12 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

where in the country are you?
Old 22 April 2004, 12:13 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

If you have video proof, can you not take them to small claims court to reclaim the money for dent removal/panel work??

Last edited by SiDHEaD; 22 April 2004 at 12:13 PM. Reason: keys have been moving again
Old 22 April 2004, 12:13 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately the only way I can pursue it is to report it to the police and get them to contact the car park. The car park won't give me the reg number which is fair enough to be honest.

Trouble is at the end of the day even I have got to admit the police do have better things to with their time than this (excluding the constant speedtrap thing of course).

It just hacks me off to think that people behave like this and let's face it - it's getting more and more common.

tiggers.
Old 22 April 2004, 12:17 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by tiggers
Unfortunately the only way I can pursue it is to report it to the police and get them to contact the car park. The car park won't give me the reg number which is fair enough to be honest.

Trouble is at the end of the day even I have got to admit the police do have better things to with their time than this (excluding the constant speedtrap thing of course).

It just hacks me off to think that people behave like this and let's face it - it's getting more and more common.

tiggers.
But it's people with an attitude like that who don't give the police work to do that gives them the time to be ******* about with speed traps etc.

Look at it this way what have you got to lose?

I really hate when people don't bother reporting stuff If you did it then you'd expect to be screwed wouldn't you? Why let them get away with it?
Old 22 April 2004, 12:17 PM
Judge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

This is a reportable road accident actually and you absolutely report it to the police! The fact that the Mondeo driver was aware of the damage means that he is legally obliged to report the incident to the police within 24 hours.Failure to do this is an offence under the Road traffic act 1988 and also means that his insurance is liable for any damage incurred!!

Report it!
Old 22 April 2004, 12:20 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

A similar thing happened to me in my works car park.

Person reversed out of the space to the left of me and swiped the car at the rear. He gets out and takes a look, goes back to his car and back to mine for a second look then drives off.

I didn't notice the damage for two days and went to security who got it all on CCTV, including my car moving and the alarm going off.

I had to chase the guy down for a few more days be fore he owned up. He'll be footing the £170 repair bill.

I would have took this to the Police if he hadn't have owned up.

So should you. People like this, need to be dealt with. If you let it ride, this s4it will do it gain. if you get the Police involved and actually get him done. he will think before doing it again.
Old 22 April 2004, 12:29 PM
Simon Lines
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan C

So should you. People like this, need to be dealt with. If you let it ride, this s4it will do it gain. if you get the Police involved and actually get him done. he will think before doing it again.
I agree, the "decent" poeple have to stop just letting this stuff happen and shrugging it off.

Fight back!
Old 22 April 2004, 12:30 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

OK, I'll give it a go, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Naturally I will keep you all informed.

tiggers.
Old 22 April 2004, 12:35 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by tiggers
OK, I'll give it a go, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Naturally I will keep you all informed.

tiggers.
You've got nothing to lose because you'll have to pay for the damage anyway but if you can get them to pay for it then you have a result I hope they can do something about it.

Good luck
Old 22 April 2004, 12:38 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

in my yoof i had a soft topped triumph herald

I went on a camping holiday with a load of mates.....

and parked in an empty car park.... in the camp site

when we came back a couple of hours later, one of my white outriggers from the bumper was on the floor.....

not a happy bunny to say the least.....

then we hooked up with some girleys who were also there,,,

we happened to go back to there caravan,, and one of the girls had parked her car outside the van ... and she had a big white stripe at bumper level down one side!!!!!!!

after a short conversation she admitted she had done it,,, they thought the car was cool and wanted a closer look..... too close......

i didnt persue her for the damages as i had fixed the outrigger back on.. but lets just say the rest of the holiday went very well........

oh and its called the herding effect.... people will park next to an available car ... the belief being saftey in numbers......

Mart
Old 22 April 2004, 12:46 PM
Jamie_B
Scooby Regular

I refuse to leave the scoob in a car park unless absolutely nessesary. I prefer to do internet shopping

Hope U get it sorted.
Old 22 April 2004, 12:54 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that - Give them a dent back

Gareth
from http://www.subaru-impreza.org
Old 22 April 2004, 01:01 PM
hales
Scooby Regular

Go for it, dont let the mindless bastaxx get away with it
Old 22 April 2004, 01:18 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

At christmas time (i.e. very busy) I parked my scooby in the Gyle car park and was I scared of getting a dent???

Well no! That's because I found an RB5 and a UK300 parked near each other with a single space between them Safe as houses I half expected to come back and find they had cleaned my car for me
Old 22 April 2004, 01:26 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I half expected to come back and find they had cleaned my car for me
Or nicked your clear lenses
Old 22 April 2004, 01:28 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yeah, like that's hard to do. <grab, click, gone>
Old 22 April 2004, 01:28 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Angry

the data protection act clearly states that you may have a copy of any cctv footage you beleive you are on!! get them to give you a copy it's the law!!!!!!

good luck!
Old 22 April 2004, 01:47 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by specialx
the data protection act clearly states that you may have a copy of any cctv footage you beleive you are on!! get them to give you a copy it's the law!
But he won't be on the footage at the time when the damage occurred, so open to interpretation. Whether "the data protection act clearly states that you may have a copy of any cctv footage you beleive your car is on!" is another argument.
Old 22 April 2004, 02:09 PM
LiamWR1
Scooby Regular

I was in Sainsbury's car park the other week & parked as far away from the doors as possible in an area where there were NO other cars, there must of been about 30 - 40 spaces around me.. when I got back there were 2 cars parked either side of my Crossfire, and so close I struggled to open my door enough to get in!!

They were total POS aswell and covered in dents... whats the metality of these people???? why do they do it???? is it a sick joke that I just dont get????

Dont let the idiots get away with it Tiggers
Old 22 April 2004, 02:14 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

speedking, he may well beleive he was in that area at that time
Old 22 April 2004, 02:20 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

When he returned to the car, the car was parked next to him, so in theory ask for a tape of the time when returning to the car and it will be there.

There is normally an admin fee of about £10 to get the tape though!
Old 22 April 2004, 02:33 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

its called a data subject information request "dsir", and yes you are allowed to get a copy, and yes they HAVE to give it you, its the law! if they dont state you are going to pursue this with the police as it is a criminal offence not to be given the said information upon request
Old 22 April 2004, 02:41 PM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

but if you request CCTV footage of yourself do they not hide the identity of everybody else caught in the picture at the same time? So they might blurr out the reg number of the offending vehicle?
Old 22 April 2004, 02:44 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Happened to me in a Mcdonalds car park, and I was in my car !!! Took six months through the insurance company and a booked court appearance for the w4nker but I did get my money for the repairs. Most expensive burger he has ever had
Old 22 April 2004, 02:59 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

If you haven't already, make sure you let the car park people know of your intent to proceed with this one (with police involvement) so that they don't tape over the evidence. You'd be gutted if you left it a few days only to find out they "recycle" their tapes.

Hope you nail the inconsiderate gits!!

All the best m8

Mark.
Old 22 April 2004, 04:31 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Hi

You must make sure you call your insurance company and notify them, then instruct them to start the proceedure for small claims court.

Call and write to the car park telling them to quarantine the CCTV tape as it is required in court, the insurance company will write to them asking for the tape. Without the CCTV you have no chance.

Hope you get it sorted.

BTK

By the way there is no need to involve the police, as its not criminal damage and there is no "road" involved.
Old 22 April 2004, 05:28 PM
Simonz
Scooby Regular

Take the ******* to court and laugh back at e'm!

Quick Reply: Are people really this vindictive?