Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this piece of suspension need replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2004, 07:06 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this piece of suspension need replacing?

I recently bought some second hand tein HA adjustable suspension although on arrival one of the nuts of the base mount top bits, dunno what correct term is, was slightly skew wiff Pictures here:

&

Now would i be correct in thinking as these are actually part of this piece i need a whole new end rather than just nut as i dont much fancy just trying to knock the nut back in line (bound to be suggested by seller as first port of call)
Any tips on what this is called, how likely it is this will need replacing & where a replacement can be found presuming it is going to be needed?
Also i dont suppose anyone knows what the adjustment tool etc looks like for the HA do they?
Anyway thoughts etc if you will please folks....
Cheers
Si (yes i know it's suspension but go on let it get a bit of viewing)
Old 22 April 2004, 08:06 AM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Its a pressed in stud, looks like its just been knocked if you remove the nut place a couple of flat washers on the stud and then put the nut back on and do it up it will pull it back in straight. hope this helps
Old 22 April 2004, 08:16 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

The stud will be screwed in, you should be able to remove it and replace it witha straight one from an industrial fixings and fastners supplier. To remove it you have 2 options. If you want it out without damaging it further get 2 nuts of the appropriate size for the stud and screw then down onto the stud, but not all the way to the bottom, then tighten (really tight) the lower one of the nuts back up against the higher up nut. This should give you something solid to un-do with, put a spanner on the lower one of the nuts and it should be possible to loosen and then remove the stud. Use the same trick backwards to install the new one. The second option is to brutalise the old stud and use a pair of vise grips, a monkey wrench or similar, or file a couple of flats onto the stud so you can grip it. If you go down this route you'd better have a new stud on hand because you are removing the option of straightening and re-using it.
Old 22 April 2004, 08:17 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

cheers mate i like the italian accent but can you not call me stud in public "itsa pressed in stud" lmao
But seriously will try that & if it goes Pete Tong supplier will be getting a test.....
Ta
Si
Old 22 April 2004, 08:23 AM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AvalancheS8
The stud will be screwed in, you should be able to remove it and replace it witha straight one from an industrial fixings and fastners supplier. To remove it you have 2 options. If you want it out without damaging it further get 2 nuts of the appropriate size for the stud and screw then down onto the stud, but not all the way to the bottom, then tighten (really tight) the lower one of the nuts back up against the higher up nut. This should give you something solid to un-do with, put a spanner on the lower one of the nuts and it should be possible to loosen and then remove the stud. Use the same trick backwards to install the new one. The second option is to brutalise the old stud and use a pair of vise grips, a monkey wrench or similar, or file a couple of flats onto the stud so you can grip it. If you go down this route you'd better have a new stud on hand because you are removing the option of straightening and re-using it.
Sorry I dissagree, its a splined stud thats pressed in it won't be threaded as there would always be the risk of it undoing when the nut is done up, trust me i am a mechanic lol
Old 22 April 2004, 08:58 AM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

Show some more pictures of the side if possible becasue looking at the top pics it looks like you can get to the bottom of the stud maybe?
Might just be the pic but it looks that way - should give us more of an idea if it will be pressed/threaded.
Old 22 April 2004, 09:16 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

From the 1st photo, judging by the bit just visible below the plate, it looks as if the stud is straight. Either the plate is bent or the stud is cross threaded, (or equivalent for splined stud). New plate required IMHO.
Old 22 April 2004, 09:34 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

If you put the bent thread through first, it should go through the turret as it is.
Or wind the nut to the bottom, get a bar over the thread and bend it back then wind the nut back up to clean the threads.

Stop being so ****

D
Old 22 April 2004, 10:06 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1 Ant
Its a pressed in stud, looks like its just been knocked if you remove the nut place a couple of flat washers on the stud and then put the nut back on and do it up it will pull it back in straight. hope this helps
agreed

its a pressed in stud by the looks of it
Old 22 April 2004, 10:49 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

hmm er only took pikkies from above but er the bit on the lower side (er think that makes sense) is just a round thing as i recall so i guess that means it is a pressed in stud & if so does that mean even if whacking it back into a nice verticle straight position may still of ballsed up it's strength so new top end best plan? Or did i missunderstand that? (occasionally get things wrong )
a
Si
Old 22 April 2004, 10:51 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

& i prefer the term sphincter to **** lol
Si
Old 22 April 2004, 11:12 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

You can see the bottom of the stud in the picture, looks like a pressed in stud with a flange.

See if the flange is raised on one side, if it is then the stud is prob not bent. Should be ok anyway.

As someone said, put a few washers on it and tighten it up and see if it pulls up straight.

If it has bent slightly, its unlikley its cracked, you can install it and keep an eye on that nut.
Old 22 April 2004, 09:07 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

if my memeory is correct ..

the correct term for a thread that does not run true is "pissed"

mart